Nov 18, 2013, 05:44 PM
Lower AL
Well spoke with Horizon a few minutes ago should have the new esc and AR635 soon since they ship FedEx Tuesday. I hope my servos are not tweaked out by the bad ESC. I've had my Carbon Z Cub for over two weeks and she's still to be completely powered up but as least Horizon does their best to make everything right. I've had six other planes without issues from Horizon so I guess I'm due for a few bad parts.
Jeff
to remove ads between posts
Nov 18, 2013, 05:57 PM
Aerobatic Fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer
Since you work for CC, why not explain the concerns that were addressed just one page back regarding your new Talon and the supposed 5a max from the BEC that can go through the servo wire.
CC posted a response a long time ago in a Heli thread on their logic on why they used just the one plug. I'll try to dig it up but it had to do with programming with castle link. The BEC pro uses 2 leads but then you need that jumper/adapter to plug in the housing to program and they didn't want that on the talon
Nov 18, 2013, 06:14 PM
Hilson87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideslip
I want this thing to fly in continuos stalled flight. So lots of aerodynamic tricks I've learned from 3d/pattern planes will be sneaking there way on to the Cub. I feel there is a ton of room for improvement left in this airframe.

Could you tell us where your CG is at the time of this flight (measured from wing leading edge)? And do you plan to change it any for continuos stalled flight?
I have no idea, I just go by feel. But next time I'm flying I'll check for you.

Blake
Nov 18, 2013, 06:16 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoCraft
CC posted a response a long time ago in a Heli thread on their logic on why they used just the one plug. I'll try to dig it up but it had to do with programming with castle link. The BEC pro uses 2 leads but then you need that jumper/adapter to plug in the housing to program and they didn't want that on the talon
But John, you had a good point. If the servo wire is only good for 5A, then how are we to get the most out of this "pro" bec that's in the talon?
Nov 18, 2013, 06:38 PM
Hilson87
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97
What mods have you done already?
I plan to release a blog about all the upgrades and mods once everything is flying precisely how I want it to. My cub will be a stol/continuous stall monster. I want to get this thing to "creep" through the sky. A few things have already been done to improve efficiency of the power system, of course a little bit of lightening in key spots and most importantly everything is PERFECTLY balanced within 1-2 grams tolerance. So most of what has been done is impossible to tell just from basic observation.

The actual aerodynamic aids are coming next. Most of these aids come directly from F3A Pattern/3D advancements/experimentation that have surfaced just over the past few years and are extremely effective when trying to achieve straight line flying and flying in a continuous stall attitude while maintaining complete control.

Once everything meets my expectations I will release the blog with all the info.

Thanks,
Blake
Last edited by Hilson87; Nov 18, 2013 at 07:15 PM.
Nov 18, 2013, 06:49 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilson87
I plan to release a blog about all the upgrades and mods once everything is flying precisely how I want it to. My cub will be a stol/continuous stall monster. I want to get this thing to "creep" through the sky. A few things have already been done to improve efficiency of the power system, of course a little bit of lightning in key spots and most importantly everything is PERFECTLY balanced within 1-2 grams tolerance. So most of what has been done is impossible to tell just from basic observation.

The actual aerodynamic aids are coming next. Most of these aids come directly from F3A Pattern/3D advancements/experimentation that have surfaced just over the past few years and are extremely effective when trying to achieve straight line flying and flying in a continuous stall attitude while maintaining complete control.

Once everything meets my expectations I will release the blog with all the info.

Thanks,
Blake
Ok, thanks!
Nov 18, 2013, 07:46 PM
Quote:
You ask and you'll receive.... Keep in mind, there was absolutely no burnt areas on this motor when it showed up. I've got only 6 flights on this motor.

This is the best I can do with my iPhone.
It is hard to tell if they have deteriorated since new. The circled areas look like FOD that melted.

See my photo below of Towerpro 2409 12T back in 2008. You can clearly see the darkening between new and over propped.
Nov 18, 2013, 07:52 PM

Reworked my Cub's Tail Wheel Today...

With our weather being so grey, dark and windy I decided in a fit of boredom to rework my tail wheel after I had found it cracked the other day...

Embarrassing as it is I'm the one who broke the plastic hinge point by originally screwing in the screw so tight nothing could have made it pivot, ha... Dumb mistakes like this I haven't done on a plane in years although my wife may well have another opinion on this...

Anyway my tail is now strong and the rudder is isolated nicely on springs so in theory it should be protected better than it was... The actual rudder has no weight sitting on itself... Yea Dubro...

Happy week to all...
bnick
Nov 18, 2013, 08:05 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
bnick2k8,

That's the middle of the 3 sizes I just posted about. Looks good ... size seems to be appropriate.

There's also a 60 - 120 size.

It really is a nice looking wheel IMO
Nov 18, 2013, 08:10 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
It is hard to tell if they have deteriorated since new. The circled areas look like FOD that melted.

See my photo below of Towerpro 2409 12T back in 2008. You can clearly see the darkening between new and over propped.
Whats FOD? Andy at Horizon is requesting I mail him the old motor and the new motor and ESC. Crossing fingers hoping that I can get some answers. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but with all the EDF jets I have flown, that's where motors really get taxed and when the motor gets too hot, it starts to darken. It doesn't mean that its been necessarily over propped, but could possibly be that its just not the right combo for 6s. I'll hold off on assuming until I hear back from Horizon. Looks like I won't be flying for a couple of weeks at least, but by then, it will be too cold for me anyway.
Nov 18, 2013, 08:30 PM
Castle Support
Quote:
Since you work for CC, why not explain the concerns that were addressed just one page back regarding your new Talon and the supposed 5a max from the BEC that can go through the servo wire.
Thanks for the PM as I missed this earlier... I was at a family function and I posted the link from my i-phone... gets kind of busy on the smaller screen...

The Talon 90 was developed for 500-550 size Helicopters... The BEC is Rated at 20 amp peak and 10 amps continuos...

The application that the Talon 90 was developed around was the Align Trex 550 and other 550 size Helis... The servos had High peak currents but the single lead coming from the Talon 90 has larger wire than we usually use on the throttle lead... The bus connector for the Receivers are rated anywhere from 5 to 8 amps continuous depending on manufacturer...
The Talon 90 BEC is more than enough to power the Carbon Cub... And as it was developed for the 550 Heli Market it also works very well for the 550 and the sport 600 size.

The Talon 90 works very well in airplanes also ... The Talon 90 seems to be a good solution for the CUB... I still have not seen the servo voltage rating but at 50 plus flights on my cub I am comfortable with my setup.

The engineers brought the Talon 90 to us and it has been very cost effective and it has a larger BEC than our other ESCs...

http://decals.rcgroups.com/adclick.p...2Fcontact.html

We have a support forum here on RC GROUPS... If you have Castle questions you need answered you can always email...

[email protected]
Nov 18, 2013, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Whats FOD? Andy at Horizon is requesting I mail him the old motor and the new motor and ESC. Crossing fingers hoping that I can get some answers. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but with all the EDF jets I have flown, that's where motors really get taxed and when the motor gets too hot, it starts to darken. It doesn't mean that its been necessarily over propped, but could possibly be that its just not the right combo for 6s. I'll hold off on assuming until I hear back from Horizon. Looks like I won't be flying for a couple of weeks at least, but by then, it will be too cold for me anyway.
OK, but usually too aggressive a rotor or two high a pitch of a prop will increase load and it can overheat the motor. For example, a five blade Eflite rotor may work fine with a 5S powered fan with 3200 kv rating. Take that same motor and attach a 10 blade rotor and you can kill the motor. Dr. Kiwi's thread on motor testing a uses a series of different size packs or volts and amps. Bigger props and higher pitch props, as you well know, load the motor and generate heat. Too much load, too much heat, and bingo, the motor is either instantly cooked or slow roasted. Too much timing can contribute to motor wear out.

FOD is foreign object debris (i.e., junk) that could foul the motor.
Nov 18, 2013, 08:48 PM
Castle Support
Is there a current rating on the motor available yet? I am running the stock prop until I see a rating for current... I could have missed the post with it so please forgive me if this is so...
Nov 18, 2013, 08:53 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
OK, but usually too aggressive a rotor or two high a pitch of a prop will increase load and it can overheat the motor. For example, a five blade Eflite rotor may work fine with a 5S powered fan with 3200 kv rating. Take that same motor and attach a 10 blade rotor and you can kill the motor. Dr. Kiwi's thread on motor testing a uses a series of different size packs or volts and amps. Bigger props and higher pitch props, as you well know, load the motor and generate heat. Too much load, too much heat, and bingo, the motor is either instantly cooked or slow roasted. Too much timing can contribute to motor wear out.

FOD is foreign object debris (i.e., junk) that could foul the motor.
That's it exactly. This is like a slow roast. I've burnt up 3s motors on 4s in one flight with an EDF and while this doesn't look the same, its definitely changing. The windings are darkening slowly. I might get 10 more flights or 100. I'd rather get the latter or even more than that if its possible.
Nov 18, 2013, 08:55 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintstone
Is there a current rating on the motor available yet? I am running the stock prop until I see a rating for current... I could have missed the post with it so please forgive me if this is so...
No, unfortunately not. I've checked Horizon and Eflites web pages and the specs just aren't there. Doesn't this raise a red flag on whether this motor is acceptable for 6s?

Quick Reply