Nov 18, 2013, 12:03 PM
I am not a robot
I want this thing to fly in continuos stalled flight. So lots of aerodynamic tricks I've learned from 3d/pattern planes will be sneaking there way on to the Cub. I feel there is a ton of room for improvement left in this airframe.

Could you tell us where your CG is at the time of this flight (measured from wing leading edge)? And do you plan to change it any for continuos stalled flight?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 18, 2013, 12:34 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilson87
Thanks guys, just using the cub what it's intended for. Lots of mods to come to increase stability at stall speeds. I have a few little mods that I've already done. But the major mods are coming soon! . I want this thing to fly in continuos stalled flight. So lots of aerodynamic tricks I've learned from 3d/pattern planes will be sneaking there way on to the Cub. I feel there is a ton of room for improvement left in this airframe.

Blake
What mods have you done already?
Nov 18, 2013, 01:27 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Alright, just bought the castle talon 90. Ya know, with the heavy duty built in bec, it really is a screaming deal.

I'm also switching my prop to a 15x8
Nov 18, 2013, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer
Alright, just bought the castle talon 90. Ya know, with the heavy duty built in bec, it really is a screaming deal.

Yes, that is a great looking ESC with plenty of BEC amp capability. I see it in my future on other applications.
Nov 18, 2013, 02:02 PM
Aerobatic Fanatic
Quote:

High amp output BEC that powers the RX using a single 5amp servo plug.

I don't get castle at times. The make the talon 90 with the intent of having a good esc for 550 helicopters with a big BEC to power all 4 servos and gyro but then use one servo plug that they state "Servo connectors are not rated for current in excess of 5 amps" on their regular 10amp BEC packaging

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...user_guide.pdf
Nov 18, 2013, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoCraft
High amp output BEC that powers the RX using a single 5amp servo plug.

I don't get castle at times. The make the talon 90 with the intent of having a good esc for 550 helicopters with a big BEC to power all 4 servos and gyro but then use one servo plug that they state "Servo connectors are not rated for current in excess of 5 amps" on their regular 10amp BEC packaging

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...user_guide.pdf
True, they have the caution and they also suggest changing out the connectors if current in excess of 5 amps is expected. This all presupposes people read the notes and warnings.
Nov 18, 2013, 02:46 PM
Aerobatic Fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
True, they have the caution and they also suggest changing out the connectors if current in excess of 5 amps is expected. This all presupposes people read the notes and warnings.
But they say don't solder on an extra servo plug with wire on the talon to make it like the bed pro that has dual leads.
Nov 18, 2013, 03:03 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoCraft
But they say don't solder on an extra servo plug with wire on the talon to make it like the bed pro that has dual leads.
I didn't buy it for the bec, but for the headroom in the amp draw area.
Nov 18, 2013, 03:12 PM
From a Different Planet!
I bought mine because I have more faith in Castle than I do E-Flite when it comes to ESC's. If the ESC craps out not a big deal, if the BEC part craps out the plane will crash. Now I fly Castle and don't even think about it.
Nov 18, 2013, 03:22 PM
Got mine out today and the motor was binding and making a scraping noise when I spun the prop by hand. I pulled it out. cleaned it, sprayed with wd40 and it cleared up. I am not sure if it a rust in the bearings but the motor only has 20 flights on it and has never been near water. You might want to preemptively treat your motor
Nov 18, 2013, 04:14 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster232
Got mine out today and the motor was binding and making a scraping noise when I spun the prop by hand. I pulled it out. cleaned it, sprayed with wd40 and it cleared up. I am not sure if it a rust in the bearings but the motor only has 20 flights on it and has never been near water. You might want to preemptively treat your motor
Ive got one better, you know the new motor they sent? The windings looked great on it! Until I took the nose off the plane and went to replace the ESC, the windings are looking burnt now. I don't think this motor is meant for 6s.
Nov 18, 2013, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Ive got one better, you know the new motor they sent? The windings looked great on it! Until I took the nose off the plane and went to replace the ESC, the windings are looking burnt now. I don't think this motor is meant for 6s.
A picture is worth a thousand words. Fire up that macro lens on your camera and post a pick of the well done windings.
Nov 18, 2013, 04:33 PM
Castle Support
Carbon Z Cub.mp4 (5 min 18 sec)

Video of Cub with 6s 3300 35c Pulse Ultra... with Talon 90...
Nov 18, 2013, 04:46 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
A picture is worth a thousand words. Fire up that macro lens on your camera and post a pick of the well done windings.
You ask and you'll receive.... Keep in mind, there was absolutely no burnt areas on this motor when it showed up. I've got only 6 flights on this motor.

This is the best I can do with my iPhone.
Nov 18, 2013, 04:47 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintstone
http://youtu.be/S4ukba21qoE

Video of Cub with 6s 3300 35c Pulse Ultra... with Talon 90...
Since you work for CC, why not explain the concerns that were addressed just one page back regarding your new Talon and the supposed 5a max from the BEC that can go through the servo wire.

Quick Reply