Nov 14, 2013, 01:44 PM
Team Hillbilly 🐘💨
I'm going to coat the plane in this. Water based Minwax. Is this a proper product to coat the plane with?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Minwax-8-...9#.UoUZoXm9LTo
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2013, 01:46 PM
I am not a robot
Thomas B, I think that is a very good idea. However they will require some modification to the lower fuselage. I know you would probably have to replace some of the foam on the lower rear section of the fuse with light ply and while this unit would take the abuse that the rudder post is now taking, I worry that with the control springs attached to both sides of the rudder that it might need some beefing up as well.

I used those Ohio Super Star units on my old nitro powered ultra bipes, years ago. They really make ground handling a pleasure.

Bert
Nov 14, 2013, 01:57 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_33
Can we see a picture installed?
Mine is a few days out from installation, but here is the same unit on an 80" balsa ARF Cub. Might use bolts into hard points on the rudder to anchor the tailwheel springs. Have to look at the bottom of the CZCC fuse to see what is needed to anchor the leaf spring securely.
Last edited by Thomas B; Nov 14, 2013 at 02:26 PM.
Nov 14, 2013, 02:03 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideslip
Thomas B, I think that is a very good idea. However they will require some modification to the lower fuselage. I know you would probably have to replace some of the foam on the lower rear section of the fuse with light ply and while this unit would take the abuse that the rudder post is now taking, I worry that with the control springs attached to both sides of the rudder that it might need some beefing up as well.

I used those Ohio Super Star units on my old nitro powered ultra bipes, years ago. They really make ground handling a pleasure.

Bert
The springs are fine as is, but as I mentioned in a previous post, the spring anchors will certainly need reinforced hard points on the rudder where they mount.

Another option might be a small alloy tiller bar that bolts on to the bottom of the existing plastic cap on the bottom of the rudder. That would likely be strong enough.

The CZ CC has great ground handling as is. This mod is for protecting the foam rudder and for additional scale looks.
Latest blog entry: My 2021 event schedule
Nov 14, 2013, 02:17 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullittjeff
I'm going to coat the plane in this. Water based Minwax. Is this a proper product to coat the plane with?

Minwax Polycrylic (water based acrylic varnish)

Minwax Polyurethane (there is both water and oil based)

Deluxe Materials Eze-Kote (I have and use this... very similar to wbpu... it's a water based finishing resin used with light glass cloth for fiber glassing RC aircraft surfaces, I sometimes use it without the cloth.)

Varathane Diamond Finish (water based polyurethane or wbpu like the Minwax polyurethane)

Future Floor Care (sold under the Pledge brand now... very hard finish, guys use it to gloss coat models.

Any are suitable.

What's your goal with it?

Flite Test - Flite Test : Minwax Your Plane - TIP (4 min 17 sec)
Nov 14, 2013, 02:25 PM
Team Hillbilly 🐘💨
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49
Minwax Polycrylic (water based acrylic varnish)

Minwax Polyurethane (there is both water and oil based)

Deluxe Materials Eze-Kote (I have and use this... very similar to wbpu... it's a water based finishing resin used with light glass cloth for fiber glassing RC aircraft surfaces, I sometimes use it without the cloth.)

Varathane Diamond Finish (water based polyurethane or wbpu like the Minwax polyurethane)

Future Floor Care (sold under the Pledge brand now... very hard finish, guys use it to gloss coat models.

Any are suitable.

What's your goal with it?

http://youtu.be/EAYxays8OUg
My goal is to protect the paint from handling and flaking. Thanks for the info
Nov 14, 2013, 02:33 PM
Quote:
My goal is to protect the paint from handling and flaking. Thanks for the info
Then any of those would work for that. They just won't protect it from anything more than that without actually glassing (cloth) it.

The paint itself doesn't adhere that well because it's applied right over the factory mold release or whatever the shiny waxy coating is on Horizon's (and other brands) planes. The guys in the Flyzone Beaver thread have pretty much perfected painting EPO foam. It basically involves stripping the shiny coating with Acetone, light sanding of the foam and priming with something like Krylon Fusion. That provides a well adhered base to paint with anything you want. It's alot of work... I realize that's more than you're really asking about. The point is... the stock paint is not adhered that well to begin with, but what you want to do will probably help with handling issues.
Nov 14, 2013, 02:35 PM
Team Hillbilly 🐘💨
Quote:
Then any of those would work for that. They just won't protect it from anything more than that without actually glassing (cloth) it.

The paint itself doesn't adhere that well because it's applied right over the factory mold release or whatever the shiny waxy coating is on Horizon's (and other brands) planes. The guys in the Flyzone Beaver thread have pretty much perfected painting EPO foam. It basically involves stripping the shiny coating with Acetone, light sanding of the foam and priming with something like Krylon Fusion. That provides a well adhered base to paint with anything you want. It's alot of work... I realize that's more than you're really asking about. The point is... the stock paint is not adhered that well to begin with, but what you want to do will probably help with handling issues.
Appreciate the information. Thanks
Nov 14, 2013, 03:07 PM
FGN4048
Quote:

I used the spray can version of it...it went on easy and looks great!
Nov 14, 2013, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgn4048
I used the spray can version of it...it went on easy and looks great!
I have a spray can version of Minwax's Polyurethane (oil based and stinks to high heaven) ... is there actually a spray version of the Polycrylic or the water bourne Polyurethane? I couldn't find one.
Nov 14, 2013, 03:47 PM
FGN4048
Quote:
I have a spray can version of Minwax's Polyurethane (oil based and stinks to high heaven) ... is there actually a spray version of the Polycrylic or the water bourne Polyurethane? I couldn't find one.
What I used was the spray version of this
Yes, It's a water based Polycrylic, not oil base.
Lowe's didn't have it but my local Home Depot did!
It should be right by the brush on version!
See below
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Minwax-11...3333/100376151
Nov 14, 2013, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgn4048
What I used was the spray version of this
Yes, It's a water based Polycrylic, not oil base.
Lowe's didn't have it but my local Home Depot did!
It should be right by the brush on version!
See below
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Minwax-11...3333/100376151
Yes, the Polycrylic is a water based acrylic... didn't know it came in spray form, can't get that in Canada... just the Minwax oil based Polyurethane in spray (not even their water based Polyurethane in spray )

I can shoot the canned Polycrylic with my airbrush though.
Nov 14, 2013, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacman31
I havent gotten my cub in yet but...... i did receive a rudder, spinner and prop adapter in yesterday! Its not much but its something for me to get excited about!
I feel your pain mate.

The importer here in Australia was originally expecting their stock by the end of this month.

He told me yesterday it is now likely going to be mid December before they arrive.

I hate waiting!

Cheers,

Steve
Nov 14, 2013, 04:48 PM
Living the dream in BrisVegas
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo1957
I feel your pain mate.

The importer here in Australia was originally expecting their stock by the end of this month.

He told me yesterday it is now likely going to be mid December before they arrive.

I hate waiting!

Cheers,

Steve
I hear your pain Steve... funny I asked them for an update yesterday as well...I'll be in the US for work in two weeks..one might just find it's way home with me..
Nov 14, 2013, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrkveVelky
Hi all, I am watching this thread let´s say for a month and the result is that I want CZC very badly. I am from Czech Republic and dealer for HH here is Astramodel company. The first CZC's which they bring to Czech were just PNP version which sucks. I must say they vere gone after one day. But I was looking for BNF version and I finaly found one at one e-shop called Hangar2, he is probably bringing models from germany, he has very good prices. There were last CZC BNF so I ordered it, he send me an confirmation email and he ordered the plane. After a day he send me another email and told me that there is a problem, HH denied import of CZC from other countries to czech republic. So I know that HH people are reading this thread, guys tell me why, I was so happy that I found one, and now I need to wait for another delivery or what? Please, I dont want to go to germany by myself!
Hello! Vanek here.

My father was from Prague, is there a way I can help a Pilsen brother out? This hold is probably very temporary. PLEASE let me know!

Rob

Quick Reply