Nov 09, 2013, 02:24 AM
I am not a robot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
DX8 and BNF flap setup. After I enable flaps and tried the three position flaps, the BNF receiver setup required me to put odd setting in the TX to get no flaps at position O (off), position 2, and position 3. What am I missing with this receiver. I got it working but it seems odd that I have to have the following settings in flaps to get the correct throw and mix.

Norm = 100% (not 0 as it normally is) 30% elev mix
Mid = 39% 15% elevator mix
Land = -25% 0% elevator mix

Help me out here guys. I might just be suffering from a long week at work.

If I reverse the flap servos in the transmitter, normal postion is flaps are deployed.
OK guys, you don't have to have all those weird numbers in your flaps in order for them to work properly. I have mine programmed to my F Mode switch but it doesn't make any difference, it works the same as the flap switch I just prefer to use that switch.

Now, what you have to do is take the arm off of your flap servos and then with the flap switch programmed for Flap 0% and Elev 0%, reinstall the servo arm with the flap itself in as close to a neutral position as possible. Once you have done that you have to make individual adjustments to the flap push rod to get them exactly the same. After this has been completed you will be able to program the flaps as normal. My settings are currently;

Flap Elev
Normal 0% 0%
Mid -45% 10%
Land -75% 15%

Using negative numbers should make the flap go down, 0 should be neutral (all the way up). Don't know why this is not addressed in the manual because it should be. But here again HH assumes we all know these things. I also had to make adjustments to the individual aileron push rods to make them line up with the flap position after I got the flaps in the neutral position.

Hope this makes sense,

Bert
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2013, 02:40 AM
I am not a robot
Quote:
Originally Posted by allelectrik
prof100
my flap and elevator settings work good for me. I set them at half-throttle. I noticed today a slight tendency to turn to the left with flaps deployed. It's a foamy!
I'm still working on that tendency to turn left. I've only flown mine one day and didn't get around to using flaps in landing until late in the session. But I did notice that as well. My quick fix was to add in about 3 clicks right rudder, and I may end up trying to make a mix so the rudder trim comes in with the deployment of the flaps, but I don't know if that is possible at this time. I am guessing that the flaps do not have the exact same travel on both servos. Which I have not checked. If the servos were on separate channels rather than using a Y connector, then you could tune each servo individually. I don't see anyway to do that with a Y connector in place.

Hmmmmm, It would seem there should be a way to adjust the servos individually for travel, because there are rarely two servos that have the exact same travel right out of the box. Might need to make a call to HH tech support. Ahhh maybe in the light of day I'll figure it out. Time to get some sleep now.
Nov 09, 2013, 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roversgonemad
Just dropped the coin my Carbon Cub today! The LHS had two on order and they are supposed to arrive tomorrow. I don't even have a battery, but I don't really care. One step at a time. I really didn't want to wait until January or February for the next batch to come out, so I seized the opportunity and just bought it. The wife isn't even mad. I am not sure what's going on. Her lack of anger has me a little confused. Now I'll have to wait a week or two before I will have the shekels for a couple of batteries.
I'd worry about your wife's reaction she obviously has something up her sleeve to surprise you with in the near future, prepare for your bank balance to take a beating By the way completely off topic but I can't quite tell from your avatar pic, what series is that Landy of yours? Another love of mine too.

I was hoping to get in on the action with one of these but life is going to get in the way of this one at least for a while. I the mean time I will continue following the thread weighing up the good and bad and looking forward to video's and pictures from all you lucky guys
Nov 09, 2013, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideslip
OK guys, you don't have to have all those weird numbers in your flaps in order for them to work properly. I have mine programmed to my F Mode switch but it doesn't make any difference, it works the same as the flap switch I just prefer to use that switch.

Now, what you have to do is take the arm off of your flap servos and then with the flap switch programmed for Flap 0% and Elev 0%, reinstall the servo arm with the flap itself in as close to a neutral position as possible. Once you have done that you have to make individual adjustments to the flap push rod to get them exactly the same. After this has been completed you will be able to program the flaps as normal. My settings are currently;

Flap Elev
Normal 0% 0%
Mid -45% 10%
Land -75% 15%

Using negative numbers should make the flap go down, 0 should be neutral (all the way up). Don't know why this is not addressed in the manual because it should be. But here again HH assumes we all know these things. I also had to make adjustments to the individual aileron push rods to make them line up with the flap position after I got the flaps in the neutral position.

Hope this makes sense,

Bert
I can see that working and it obviously does but to do that you must be setting it up to get the required throw mechanically by having a long servo arm and a short control horn point. This means your only using only half of the available throw from the servo which means half the resolution and half the torque. If I could treat myself to one if these I'd be looking to set the flaps up from 100% to -100% or vise versa depending on direction with mid flap somewhere around the 0% mark and elevator offset set up to suit each position.
Nov 09, 2013, 06:37 AM
wdy
wdy
Quote:

Flap Elev
Normal 0% 0%
Mid -45% 10%
Land -75% 15%

Hope this makes sense,

Bert
I also called HH and they said this is the way to setup the flaps I am using other numbers and it is working very well

Flap Elev
Normal 0% 0%
Mid 50% 21%
Land 100% 42%
Nov 09, 2013, 07:13 AM
The sky is my playground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allelectrik
Guess I am not alone regarding the flap system settings. I've worried about this since setting the model up.
Flew again today. 19 minutes out of the 5000mahs, put 3100mah back in.
Wow, I guess I can push my ten minutes with the 6,000's I have.
Nov 09, 2013, 07:40 AM
I am not a robot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly
I can see that working and it obviously does but to do that you must be setting it up to get the required throw mechanically by having a long servo arm and a short control horn point. This means your only using only half of the available throw from the servo which means half the resolution and half the torque. If I could treat myself to one if these I'd be looking to set the flaps up from 100% to -100% or vise versa depending on direction with mid flap somewhere around the 0% mark and elevator offset set up to suit each position.
Well since you don't have one, here's a photo of the underside of the wing. The servos do indeed have a fairly long control arm, but they move more than half throw, and with flaps I don't think resolution is all that big of a deal. I'm more worried about getting them to move the same distance. More resolution might help that but I still don't think that's the problem in this case.
Nov 09, 2013, 08:14 AM
Andrew... Email from wheelspin said they will have the BNF version next week
Nov 09, 2013, 08:24 AM
I can fix that!
Quote:
I'm still working on that tendency to turn left. I've only flown mine one day and didn't get around to using flaps in landing until late in the session. But I did notice that as well. My quick fix was to add in about 3 clicks right rudder, and I may end up trying to make a mix so the rudder trim comes in with the deployment of the flaps, but I don't know if that is possible at this time. I am guessing that the flaps do not have the exact same travel on both servos. Which I have not checked. If the servos were on separate channels rather than using a Y connector, then you could tune each servo individually. I don't see anyway to do that with a Y connector in place.
I wonder if may be the effect of asymmetrical prop-wash on the flaps (upward on the left, and downward on the right), instead of an unequal servo travel issue?
Nov 09, 2013, 08:52 AM
Really happy with the repairs. This airplane hit nose first, right wing down, after a one turn snap-spin. It broke the prop...screwed up the cowl...messed up the wings and mounts...etc.

I only replaced the prop (have to suffer with the APC 14x7 for now...HH is out of stock on the 15x5.5...and there is a noticeable difference). Even the prop shaft is true...pretty cool. Home Depot paint was a good match.

Pics of our sunset flight last night (not as good as a previous poster's pics...but I figured I'd share):

Nov 09, 2013, 09:23 AM
Live Free or Die
I have owned my Carbon Cub for a week now. I have not been able to fly it yet because the wing tube was missing out of the box. I called Horizon and my local hobby shop where I bought it last Sunday to let them know that the part was missing. The shop said they didn't have one. Horizon said they will send me the missing part, it has not yet arrived. I called them back several times and all they can say is it should be delivered in about 12 business days. When I look up the tracking number it says its at the UPS in California. I live in Connecticut. I'm very disappointed.
Nov 09, 2013, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdy
I also called HH and they said this is the way to setup the flaps I am using other numbers and it is working very well

Flap Elev
Normal 0% 0%
Mid 50% 21%
Land 100% 42%
It may be an odd request but I prefer to use the FLAP Switch for the flaps , not map it to another switch on radio.
Nov 09, 2013, 10:12 AM
Right Rudder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bee
I have owned my Carbon Cub for a week now. I have not been able to fly it yet because the wing tube was missing out of the box. I called Horizon and my local hobby shop where I bought it last Sunday to let them know that the part was missing. The shop said they didn't have one. Horizon said they will send me the missing part, it has not yet arrived. I called them back several times and all they can say is it should be delivered in about 12 business days. When I look up the tracking number it says its at the UPS in California. I live in Connecticut. I'm very disappointed.
At any RC Hobby Shop, I make a Big Deal to open the box and check to see if all (important) parts are there before I go to the CASH register. If they don't like it, I go to another RC Hobby Shop in Central Florida.

There is no need to shell out this kind of $$$$$ without being able to verify that all parts are in the box, especially a simple PNP / BNF.
Nov 09, 2013, 10:13 AM
Right Rudder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
It may be an odd request but I prefer to use the FLAP Switch for the flaps , not map it to another switch on radio.
Correct, this is what I use, Flaps Switch for Flaps! No flap about it!
Nov 09, 2013, 10:15 AM
nice photos sirzeppu

Quick Reply