Nov 07, 2013, 08:56 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster232
Dude! I learned everything that I know watching you fly

So when are you going to bring yours out?
I might do it tomorrow after work. Want to meet in the afternoon?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2013, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear Knights
This airplane kind of reminds me of what I'm currently building, a 3DHS Bigfoot...but a much better deal..I guess I didn't realize the price really adds up. $500 for the plane, $350 for the motor and ESC, $400 for servos..plus, plus, plus....I'm going to get this big foamy and I bet I have just as much fun with less crash anxiety ...great thread by the way, very active.
I love the CZC BUT it's not even in the same realm of competition with the 3DHS Bigfoot. That plane will be a MONSTER when you get it going. It will do aerobatics the CZC couldn't even dream of...

Tom
Nov 07, 2013, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by niewoo
I didn't have a camera with me, so that's the best I could do for now, I'll take a higher-res one later.

Like I said, just not possible for a tail strike, was go for a gentle climb. Doesn't make any sense. Only possible is that stress too much from tail wheel?

Just curious to know how people are taking off. Manual says "gradually increase the throttle to 3/4 to full and steer with rudder", so not expecting to do anything really different than other planes here.
I broke mine in the same place when I assembled it because I was using the wrong screw. This was before HH put pictures of the correct screws and where they go on this forum. I fixed it with Foam Tac, let it dry 24 hours and then added small pieces of carbon fiber on both sides of it for added strength. I fly mostly off the grass but also use the asphalt runway. So far no problems. Next project is to pull the battery pan and replace the stock straps with better ones and a D RING.
Nov 07, 2013, 09:36 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatateer
I got my CZC (BNF). It did bind to my DX6i without any problems. All control surfaces and motor respond to the radio as expected. But the crazy thing is giving off a high pitch whine (maybe a tone generator in the 635?). I've disconnected all servos and the ESC and tried an external battery pack (6.5v). Still getting the whining noise. So it must be coming from the 635. All the LEDS are blinking...quite a light show.
I can't imagine that the noise is normal.
Any ideas?
Thanks
At first I was going to say you're probably describing the normal sound ESC's makes because of the PWM frequency they operate at (reminds me of older CRT televisions but much louder and annoys the hell out of me)... but I looked back through your posts and it seems to me you'd already be familiar with this sound from the things you already own, so that's probably not what you're describing... you might have to upload a video to YouTube and post the link here.

Since I brought it up, it baffles me why the designers of RC ESC's run them at the frequencies that they do, creating the gawd-awful high pitched whine. Another of my hobbies is DSLR cinematography and I use the same type of PWM circuits found in our ESC's to dim LED lighting and to control the speed (without losing torque) of the DC motors I've motorized some of my camera gear with... and I purposely and specifically choose and buy PWM circuits off ebay with specs that show their operating frequency is one that's above the capability of human hearing... both to avoid high pitch whines from showing up in my audio track and to also avoid them annoying the crap out of me while they're operating.
Nov 07, 2013, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer
I might do it tomorrow after work. Want to meet in the afternoon?
Sounds good. I have to pick up the kids @ 3
Nov 07, 2013, 10:12 PM
Thanks North_of_49, but its not the ESC. I'm using an external battery pack, kinda like a receiver battery to power the AR635. With nothing hooked up (but power) it links up with my DX6i no prob. I then plugged in just one servo, the rudder, and the singing began. I tried just elevator and then just aileron and every one of them are singing. Not just a little whining, but a fairly loud sound. I have video, I'll try to figure out how to post it.
Nov 07, 2013, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatateer
Thanks North_of_49, but its not the ESC. I'm using an external battery pack, kinda like a receiver battery to power the AR635. With nothing hooked up (but power) it links up with my DX6i no prob. I then plugged in just one servo, the rudder, and the singing began. I tried just elevator and then just aileron and every one of them are singing. Not just a little whining, but a fairly loud sound. I have video, I'll try to figure out how to post it.
How many volt battery pack?
Nov 07, 2013, 10:58 PM
How heavy of a battery is everyone getting away with (without having to push the battery back to uncomfortably far)? It looks like there is quite a bit of space though. The battery I am looking at weighs 707g.
Nov 07, 2013, 11:07 PM
I am not a robot
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikc641
How heavy of a battery is everyone getting away with (without having to push the battery back to uncomfortably far)? It looks like there is quite a bit of space though. The battery I am looking at weighs 707g.
My Turnigy 6S 3300 35C weigh 670 grams, and I have them even with the rear of the battery tray. Actually I think the further back the better for plugging them in. It makes more room for the power leads to be placed down in front of the battery. Even with my 5000mah 6S I like to push them back so at least 1/3 of the battery is hanging off the end of the tray. I have a mod that is easy to do, and makes the battery so much more secure. See the pics below.

Replace the velcro with better quality, and then use a Helicopter battery strap. I am actually using a Align strap from my Trex 550E. It holds the battery so much better and this system make install and removal of the battery much easier. Even removing the battery tray isn't too bad if you a have a ball end allen head screwdriver.
Nov 07, 2013, 11:15 PM

Flights 5&6

Cold Sunday

Winds gusty all day packs were charged in morning.
Sundown, wind down. Went flying, cold 34degF.

Added Dubro 6" Rubbers. First landing great, very good shock absorb on the horse pasture strip. Went through some water (little bit) and mud splatter on underside of wings (considered Future waxing over it to keep it on

Anyway, here on the second landing coming in good...down... flare...wheels bite bite slow slow nose over. No damage, just real weird. Dubros had no air, cold weather, wet previous landing. Did I come in with ice brakes on?

Took off fine back again on anger flight back out, greased following landing.

Dubros added almost a pound (12-14oz) vertical was affected. Landing speed bumped a tad (more flap may have fixed?)

Packs (5300mah Gens Ace) were probably 50degF starting, luke warm after 15min flights 3.82v, 3.78v (anger take off and relanding) can't end on a bad one.

I love this plane.

I'm thinking to get some 3M prism blue tape to put on leading edges to solve couple things. Clean up leading edge, reinforcement, and visibility on approach. Anyone ever put some reflective tape on leading edge? Good or bad idea?

I'm thinking a semi scale landing gear on this with some suspension would be good for my field. Scratch build fun...
Last edited by realrallsport; Nov 07, 2013 at 11:23 PM.
Nov 08, 2013, 12:23 AM
Prefers radials
Quote:
I'm flying with 788g 6S 4500 mAh 45C batteries. On the heavy side, but once she leaves the ground, it's not noticeable. Flies great!

Cheers
Latest blog entry: Pilot RC 40% Decathlon
Nov 08, 2013, 12:46 AM
Ultracote applied to gear and tail. Just an attempt to have a different looking Carbon Z Cub since I see more than one flying at our RC club. This plane will be popular.
Last edited by Prof100; Nov 08, 2013 at 12:59 AM.
Nov 08, 2013, 01:06 AM
Team E.F./Horizon/Castle/Pulse
Quote:
I'm flying with E-flite 5000mah batteries, battery weight is 808g and the only difference I notice between the 5000 and 3300 is the plane penetrates better in windy conditions with the 5000. I slide the 5000 back so the rear battery strap is in the middle of the battery, 3300's are centered on the battery tray. You won' have any issue with your battery, have fun!!

Lee
Team Horizon
Last edited by mxcop; Nov 08, 2013 at 01:33 AM.
Nov 08, 2013, 01:20 AM
Thanks
Nov 08, 2013, 07:43 AM
Prof100
The battery pack I am feeding the AR635 with is measuring 6.2v unloaded. The servo noise was the same when the 6S LiPo and the ESC were powering the RX.

Digital servos normally don't make a whining noise. do they? Could the RX gains be wrong and the 635 thinks its making very rapid, very small adjustments?

Quick Reply