Nov 07, 2013, 02:47 PM
I Fly!
I don't have one of these planes yet but My Eflite Hawker Hurricane had I think the same 60 AMP ESC. One thing all the Eflite guys at my field told me to do first was to cut off the on off switch. This single component has a bad tendency to fail and cause lose of control. On the bench when running the motor we could hit the switch and it would cause intermittent cut in power and cause the control surfaces to flinch. I got a replacement from HH and it worked fine for awhile then started again so I cut the switch off and have had no issues since then.

I agree not a good solution, but I think that on off switch causes more problems then it solves.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2013, 02:56 PM
3D RC... Money well wasted...
Agreed and well said jrtubb!
Nov 07, 2013, 03:17 PM
Prefers radials
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb
One thing all the Eflite guys at my field told me to do first was to cut off the on off switch. This single component has a bad tendency to fail and cause lose of control.
+1 - also susceptible to intermittent failures
Latest blog entry: Pilot RC 40% Decathlon
Nov 07, 2013, 03:21 PM
Champagne Supernova
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler
I think it's the main thing! $400 for a 7ft airplane BNF. A few years ago, I would have dreamed to be able to fly a 7ft. airplane for $400. Heck, there was no way to simply get a motor and a few servos for that kind of price, let alone a full BNF airplane.
But on the other hand you see alot of posts on peeps complaining about failed parts on an off brand 200.00 plane and all the replies would be along the lines of hey if you would buy from a reputable mfg. spend a little more you'll get better quality components.

From what Im seeing here that is evidently not necessary true.

I have one of the same 60 amp pro esc's at home. It caused a Parkzone T 28 to go in I believe and now it wont throtlle arm with an AR600 I believe it is but will with an Orange RX. Go figure. This esc scares me a little too but I should not have to replace stuff on a 400.00 plane. A 200.00 plane from nitroplanes maybe.
Last edited by Remote_Pilot; Nov 07, 2013 at 04:06 PM.
Nov 07, 2013, 03:34 PM
Champagne Supernova
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneM
Why should someone have to spend $400 on a piece of foam with junk electronics and have to end up replacing them on the consumers dollar? That could quickly surpass the cost of an much better model.
Exactly. If there are issues with any of the stock components it would be a shame. Coming from HH I dont expect it but its very common from other vendors for a $200 plane but a $400 plane from HH no way..........
Nov 07, 2013, 03:48 PM
Geeze, all companies produce and unintentionally sell defective products. At least with Horizon you have a recourse to replace it in a timely fashion. And, like any new product introduction, they have their launch problems. Even in Carbon Z Cub I just receive I had to replace the EC3 connector with a Deans. When I went to remove the ESC one of the plastic end caps was not locked into the aluminum heat sink. I simply snapped it in place. I had to call HH to cancel a backordered BNF CZC but I first called HH tech support and let him know what I found so he had it recorded as a defect. No, I did not ask him for a new ESC. Nor did I go into a tirade with him. It was simply an assembly error. I clicked it back in place and it's good to go.

One can make a mountain out of a mole hill, or just move on and take 5 seconds and solve the problem.

Bill
Last edited by Prof100; Nov 08, 2013 at 12:54 AM.
Nov 07, 2013, 03:53 PM
Just heard this model is available in the uk. And ive just found this thread. Whats the word on street, is it worth the £340 asking price. Seen a few of you moaning already.
Now to start reading the old posts.
Nov 07, 2013, 03:55 PM
From a Different Planet!
worth every penny!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't let a couple sore people ruin the experience of owning this bird.
Nov 07, 2013, 04:23 PM
Prefers radials
+1

Out of 30+ planes, it's the one that I'm having the most fun with! Love it!

Cheers
Latest blog entry: Pilot RC 40% Decathlon
Nov 07, 2013, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge_pilot
worth every penny!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't let a couple sore people ruin the experience of owning this bird.
Based on that then. Ive just burned a big hole in my pocket and got one, the bnf version as its cheaper than buy seperate quality rx.
Eeeeek what have i done.
Oh well like they say its easier to seek forgiven than ask persmission.
Nov 07, 2013, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksp
+1

Out of 30+ planes, it's the one that I'm having the most fun with! Love it!

Cheers
Ordered the 5000mah 6s battery too.
Nov 07, 2013, 04:51 PM

Rudder fail on take-off

Well, maiden didn't go so well. Started the very first take-off roll when the plane suddenly veered off to the right before it got into the air. Fortunately nothing major happened to it (only minor scrapes for hitting some netting off the runway).

Upon examination, looks like the rudder snapped clean at the line of the plastic hinge/wheel holder (see red line in picture). Was able to glue/tape/pin it back together and seems to hold and managed to get a couple of flights out of it.

Still not sure what caused the failure. I was going for a very gradual ascent (didn't do anything forceful with the elevator, so didn't slam the tail into the ground or anything like that).

Only theory is that because I had a relatively long roll, the tail wheel could have taken a few bumps and at speed caused too much stress on the rudder hinge?

Unfortunately the worst problem seems to be that the screw retainer that forms the actual hinge with the main fuse broke, and looks weak. I tried gluing that, but I think that is probably the worst problem now and warrants a new rudder.

Any ideas? Is it reasonable that you have to have really short take-off and don't use the rudder much on the ground?

Thanks.
Nov 07, 2013, 04:54 PM

ar635 vs Guardian

Since several users are comparing the ar635 to the Guardian, it's time for an itemized comparision chart (see 'Attached File).

It becomes obvious that the only big advantage of the ar635 is it comes with a receiver; but this is soon equalized price-wise as the total price of Guardian + ar600 is only $4 more than the ar635. Size-wise, the Guardian plus the ar600 is only slightly larger than the ar635.

Neither one is the best option for every application, it just isn't correct to say the ar635 is similar to the Guardian (about the only simularity is 'they both stabilize"). But what the heck, when included in this Cub BNF BASIC package ... it's one heck of a deal for $20!
Nov 07, 2013, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerg
If I get sent a refurbished unit i'll be pretty pissed. $400 is alot of money to shell out for a foam airplane that's unflyable right out of the box. I will be asking for a NEW replacement esc, eflite brand or not, or a complete refund. It's that simple for me.
HH has always responded positively when ever I have had issues....Yes they should make it right...and from past experience they have...Their review of possible owner caused defects I can accept....BUT I sure would like to be flying this plane! Post more flight videos!
Nov 07, 2013, 05:05 PM
Team E.F./Horizon/Castle/Pulse
I've missed a day of posts in this thread and am catching up now. I am honestly shocked to see some of the posts and attitudes towards Horizon. This plane and power set up has been tested well, I understand that some of you may have had issues with the ESC but how many have actually had issues with this plane? My guess is it's not many at all, keep in mind that when a product is put in to mass production there is bound to be a flaw here and there, it happens to all brand products. The advantage here is Horizon has excellent product support, they will take care of you. I personally have flown poo out of these controllers and have not had a failure. I have at least 30 flights on my Cub so far with no issues, I have pushed it hard and the batteries are barely warm right after landing. This plane is a total win for Horizon, it's awesome and everyone that I know who has flown it can't get enough of it. Change the ESC if you want but the truth is this plane is fine right out of the box. My advice to anyone reading this thread is don't let couple negative comments deter you from buying the plane, you will love it and won't regret the purchase.

Lee
Team Horizon

Quick Reply