Nov 06, 2013, 11:58 AM
SoCal fair weather flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbvirginia
Well folks, this gentle giant flew fantastic... for two minutes. Just as I was saying how incredible she was to fly... I watched her going... going gone... Found her nearly 3/4 of a mile away, with suprisingly limited damage. I was convinced it was a radio issue, until my inspection revealed something that I was concerned for from the beginning. EC3's were welded solid, and subsequently lost power. The AS3X kept her flying straight... forever. Of course I did range check and static tests, with no obvious problems. Scary thing was that I was only flying half stick. I know that i've read some concerns on this thread about the EC3's. Now, mine may have been a fluke... but I've NEVER had that happen before. (I have over 45 planes ranging from Champs and Cubs to 90mm jets) and this was a first. I called and reported to HH, and as usual, they were fantastic. Personally, I decided to go with an 80 ESC Pro and an EC5. I could be totally wrong, but seems like a lot of juice for an EC3. Anyone else have any issues? HH mentioned no other reports of this yet. Did I mention how nice this thing is to fly?
I've got over 50 flights on my 6S 500x helicopter with no issues, I never bothered to change the EC3 connectors. I've been using an XT60 to Deans converter. I can't imaging that this cub is putting out any more current than a 500 size heli although its not possible to measure the current on a heli without some sort of downloadable ESC. I have yet to maiden my Cub.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2013, 11:59 AM
SoCal fair weather flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1indse7
I've seen this banner ad here on RC Groups for "Hunger Lipo's." i was just looking at wondering if anyone else has used them? Are they any good? Seems like a great price $37.75 for a 3300MAH 6S 30C MAX 60C 22.2V (with nano technology).

Here is the link to the site: http://www.dealmetic.com/list.asp?ty...categories=181
A buddy bought one and he told me to stay away from them.
Nov 06, 2013, 12:03 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbvirginia
Well folks, this gentle giant flew fantastic... for two minutes. Just as I was saying how incredible she was to fly... I watched her going... going gone... Found her nearly 3/4 of a mile away, with suprisingly limited damage. I was convinced it was a radio issue, until my inspection revealed something that I was concerned for from the beginning. EC3's were welded solid, and subsequently lost power. The AS3X kept her flying straight... forever. Of course I did range check and static tests, with no obvious problems. Scary thing was that I was only flying half stick. I know that i've read some concerns on this thread about the EC3's. Now, mine may have been a fluke... but I've NEVER had that happen before. (I have over 45 planes ranging from Champs and Cubs to 90mm jets) and this was a first. I called and reported to HH, and as usual, they were fantastic. Personally, I decided to go with an 80 ESC Pro and an EC5. I could be totally wrong, but seems like a lot of juice for an EC3. Anyone else have any issues? HH mentioned no other reports of this yet. Did I mention how nice this thing is to fly?
If it's a short at the EX3 connector, AS3X should not have worked, and the motor should have been off, so the airplane should not have went 3/4 miles away? I believe EC3 are rated for 60amps. I would investigate something else before flying it again for sure.
Nov 06, 2013, 12:09 PM
Prefers radials
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMeDo
Dumb question #234: which way do the servo connectors go when you connect the wings?
Orange forward?

Jeff
Line up the colors when connecting as the connectors may not all be oriented the same way. On mine, 3 of the 4 have the orange wire towards the front, while one has the orange aft, so I have to visually inspect each time and align the colors accordingly.

Cheers
Latest blog entry: Pilot RC 40% Decathlon
Nov 06, 2013, 12:13 PM
I am not a robot
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1indse7
I've seen this banner ad here on RC Groups for "Hunger Lipo's." i was just looking at wondering if anyone else has used them? Are they any good? Seems like a great price $37.75 for a 3300MAH 6S
That does seem like a pretty good price. I'm concerned about where they ship from. If it's China, those batteries would probably take a month to arrive. And I've never heard of that company before so no idea how they are to deal with. Seems like there are new companies in China popping up every day and a lot of them are related. Some seem to have better service than others.

I'm kind of interested in this one. http://www.dealmetic.com/product.asp?ID=RC03175Because it has a EC5 connector. Would save me having to purchase and solder the EC5s. And I wouldn't mind that at all. Plus that one is 40C. Not that I think we need the extra C rating, but it never hurts.
Nov 06, 2013, 12:13 PM
Prefers radials
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMeDo
I was putting the CZC together and I'm pretty sure I have to program the ESC for 70% since I'll be using a combination of 4s and 6s batts.

Jeff
Yep - the default ESC programming is set for 6S. To change to "74% mode", you have to program the ESC from your transmitter. Instructions included with kit. After changing, instead of hearing 6 beeps (cell count), you'll hear a little melody when you connect the battery signalling 74% mode.

Cheers
Last edited by marksp; Nov 06, 2013 at 01:00 PM.
Nov 06, 2013, 12:44 PM
I'm also curious about the Hunger lipos, anyone have any experience with them? Prices are pretty darn low...
Nov 06, 2013, 12:49 PM
watch this
My biggest complaint is the paint flaking off,,even with a coat of minwax polycrylic on it, look at it crooked and there is another white spot showing
Nov 06, 2013, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksp
Yep - the default ESC programming is set for 6S. To change to "74% mode", you have to program the ESC from your transmitter. Instructions included with kit. After changing, instead of hearing 6 beeps (cell count), you'll hear a little when you connect the battery signalling 74% mode.

Cheers
And that's 74% of the battery voltage at the time of connect; so if you land, disconnect the battery, make a necessary throw adjustment, and reconnect the same battery, the cutoff voltage may be lower than the safe level.

Always use a freshly charged battery when using the percentage method.
Nov 06, 2013, 01:16 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideslip
That does seem like a pretty good price. I'm concerned about where they ship from. If it's China, those batteries would probably take a month to arrive. And I've never heard of that company before so no idea how they are to deal with. Seems like there are new companies in China popping up every day and a lot of them are related. Some seem to have better service than others.

I'm kind of interested in this one. http://www.dealmetic.com/product.asp?ID=RC03175Because it has a EC5 connector. Would save me having to purchase and solder the EC5s. And I wouldn't mind that at all. Plus that one is 40C. Not that I think we need the extra C rating, but it never hurts.
It is coming from China, shipping is about 15.00 for one battery, so it's about 50 for one shipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuilty13
I'm also curious about the Hunger lipos, anyone have any experience with them? Prices are pretty darn low...
never heard of them, not inclined to try. There are 2 companies I use in the US that ship almost always on the same day, don't charge and arm and a leg, and have pretty good service overall. Valuehobby dot com is one of them, and he has this size with the ec3 already soldered on. The other is China Hobby Line dot com. His prices are about the cheapest, almost always has free shipping, offers other discounts, and usually gives a lipo bag too. he ships priority too. He has two locations to buy from, Hong Kong and USA...Beverly Hills actually. I love his batteries so far, I use them for my ducted fan planes.

I also looked at the Hobby King site (USA) for some batteries as well. about the same prices, give or take. Not a big fan of their shipping charges and I don't seem to have great luck with the US warehouse. I've done some through MotionRC too but I don't know if they have 6S.
Nov 06, 2013, 01:17 PM
3D Sunset Flier
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster232
Nice weather yesterday. I got in 8 fllights and made a new video.

http://youtu.be/OzsZqUkfkTo
Outstanding!
Nov 06, 2013, 01:41 PM
FoamyFactory.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster232
Nice weather yesterday. I got in 8 fllights and made a new video.
Awesome video!
Nov 06, 2013, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83
It is coming from China, shipping is about 15.00 for one battery, so it's about 50 for one shipped.

never heard of them, not inclined to try. There are 2 companies I use in the US that ship almost always on the same day, don't charge and arm and a leg, and have pretty good service overall. Valuehobby dot com is one of them, and he has this size with the ec3 already soldered on. The other is China Hobby Line dot com. His prices are about the cheapest, almost always has free shipping, offers other discounts, and usually gives a lipo bag too. he ships priority too. He has two locations to buy from, Hong Kong and USA...Beverly Hills actually. I love his batteries so far, I use them for my ducted fan planes.

I also looked at the Hobby King site (USA) for some batteries as well. about the same prices, give or take. Not a big fan of their shipping charges and I don't seem to have great luck with the US warehouse. I've done some through MotionRC too but I don't know if they have 6S.
Add headsuprc.com for inexpensive, prompt, shipping.
Nov 06, 2013, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideslip
Hey that is a great video. I'd really like to see a narrated version so people could understand what you are doing when you perform some of the aerobatics in that flight.

Had me thinking I needed a seat belt or motion sickness pills there for while.

I added some titles

eFlite Carbon Z Cub (3 min 38 sec)
Nov 06, 2013, 01:57 PM

Good Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler
If it's a short at the EX3 connector, AS3X should not have worked, and the motor should have been off, so the airplane should not have went 3/4 miles away? I believe EC3 are rated for 60amps. I would investigate something else before flying it again for sure.
You are right about the as3x...I hadnt thought of that! I had some altitude... and this thing carried for a looong way. I went back and Google earth'ed it at just over 1700 ft. It is possible that I could have have a short, but I can easily say the connector caused the shutdown. (for whatever reason) The EC3's were physically bonded together. For me personally, I'm not going to chance it. I'm gonna get the 80 esc with EC5. it may jsut make me feel better....

I still think this is going to be one heck of a plane...

Quick Reply