Nov 03, 2013, 06:04 PM
So I was assembling the tail assembly and walked away after putting the CA on the rudder tabs. Came back a few moments later and found the plane sitting on the ground. Well the wife needed something near the plane so she gently put it down to move it out of the way. So now my tail rudder is glued in place where the screw is. I am guessing the only way out of this is a new fuselage and rudder? I have tried loosening the rudder but it is on there solid now. Any ideas?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2013, 06:04 PM

GoPro Video

Took the Carbon-Z out today for its maiden and had my GoPro mounted on the wing tip. Heres a short video of the flight.
E-Flite Carbon-Z Cub with GoPro (1 min 46 sec)
Nov 03, 2013, 06:12 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by neff2k
So I was assembling the tail assembly and walked away after putting the CA on the rudder tabs. Came back a few moments later and found the plane sitting on the ground. Well the wife needed something near the plane so she gently put it down to move it out of the way. So now my tail rudder is glued in place where the screw is. I am guessing the only way out of this is a new fuselage and rudder? I have tried loosening the rudder but it is on there solid now. Any ideas?
Soak it with debonder for 10 minutes.
Nov 03, 2013, 06:16 PM
FoamyFactory.com
Quote:
No worries... Clip off screw head at base of tailwheel bracket. Cut off the rudder and clean it up and clean up the fuselage. Trim the CA hinges. Cut new slots for new CA hinges. Cut New hinge slots and Install new CA hinges. When rudder is off unscrew the screw with needle nose pliers.

That should do it with no new parts. Debonder could work well too.
Nov 03, 2013, 06:18 PM
FoamyFactory.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by watts cooking
took the carbon-z out today for its maiden and had my gopro mounted on the wing tip. Heres a short video of the flight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpwoswekphm
Awesome!
Nov 03, 2013, 06:19 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChaCha
Both APCs are thin E. I just ordered a Master Airscrews 15x6. I've still got the stock prop, no damage and it's balanced perfectly, but it makes a bad enough noise at full throttle that my buddies watching me on the maiden commented how it must be out of balance (it's not).

No biggie, I'll figure it out. I'm into this plane for the low & slow fly by
Did you check the balance of the spinner as well?

Also worth mentioning that HH likes to have you balance the hub area of tfe prop as well, using the little ears on the prop hub.

My prop and spinner was a very smooth runner right out of the box. Balance was fine on the prop both blades and hub and I did not check the spinner.
Latest blog entry: My 2021 event schedule
Nov 03, 2013, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee
Soak it with debonder for 10 minutes.
If you run out of debonder use acetone, that's what debonder is.
Nov 03, 2013, 06:20 PM
Awesome thanks for the debonder idea. Didn't even know it existed. Any particular work best? It was set with Zap CA Thin
Nov 03, 2013, 06:21 PM
neff2k
I feel for you. After almost 33 years of marriage, not much surprises me any more.
Try heating the rudder screw with a soldering iron, then try unscrewing it. This usually loosens up CA or thread locker. Be careful not to melt the plastic. You may be able to work an X-Acto blade between the plastic parts without too much damage. I don't know how debonder affects the foam, so I can't recommend it.
Nov 03, 2013, 06:25 PM
Team Horizon Hobby
Quote:
Awesome thanks for the debonder idea. Didn't even know it existed. Any particular work best? It was set with Zap CA Thin
BSi Debonder (green bottle) works pretty good. just let the stuff soak. thats the only way it will work. But it does work. it kinda "gels" the CA, so you can just wipe it all off afterwards. And the debonder has no adverse affects on foam of any kind.
Nov 03, 2013, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by knifeedge63
BSi Debonder (green bottle) works pretty good. just let the stuff soak. thats the only way it will work. But it does work. it kinda "gels" the CA, so you can just wipe it all off afterwards. And the debonder has no adverse affects on foam of any kind.
Can't speak for THIS foam, but debonder/acetate will ABSOLUTELY eat foam!!! I'd suggest testing it on somewhere inconspicuous first like on the back of one of the hatches, before trying debonder. +1 on the heating of the screw, that's probably what I would do. I've even seen debonder eat PLASTIC.

Tom
Nov 03, 2013, 07:03 PM

Has anyone tried this to treat the foam?

Looks cool. I guess it won't yellow?

BTW, has anyone tried PolyCrylic? I'm not sure of the pro's and con's either way.
Nov 03, 2013, 07:05 PM
Were all gonna' FLY!
I changed the ESC to a Plush 60 and every thing works fine now but but both flap servos are buzzing. Tomorrow I will contact HH about the ESC and see if they have the replacement wing mounts.
Acetone will melt foam!

Here are the pics.
Nov 03, 2013, 07:11 PM

Do Not Use Accelerator on CA Hinges

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcop
You need to use a little accelerator on the hinges. Go ahead and install them the way you normally would, wick it in on both sides and then lightly spray it. Just make sure you don't over spray accelerator onto the paint it will cause the paint to come off or run. Wash your hands after use as well so you don't accidentally touch the paint with accelerator on your fingers. I haven't had any issues with the post, are you sure you used the proper size screw in it, I can see where it could crack if you use too large a diameter screw. I believe spare rudders are in stock.

Lee Morey
Team Horizon
According to the manual for all E-flite/Horizon Hobby ARF kits I have built, they specify: Do Not Use Accelerator on CA Hinges

Here are exerts from the manuals of two different E-flite ARF kits:
1st: Allow the CA to cure
(without using accelerator) before proceeding to the
following steps.

Note: The CA must be allowed to cure without
the use of accelerator. Using accelerator
will not allow the CA to fully soak into the
hinge, and could produce a poor bond
between the hinges and surrounding area.

2nd: Deflect the aileron and apply thin CA to
each of the hinges. Make sure to saturate each
hinge. Apply CA to both the top and bottom
of the hinges.

Note: Do not use accelerator in the hinging
process. The CA must be allowed to soak into
each hinge naturally.

Please explain.
Thanks.
Nov 03, 2013, 07:38 PM
That is on Balsa ARFs, it is damn near impossible to get a good bond with just foam and CA without the kicker.

Quick Reply