Nov 03, 2013, 02:33 PM

Prop Testing...

Ok...with this plane I'm NOT in this for the performance. My stock prop was sounding terrible @ full throttle. I very unscientifically just bench tested 3 props. All I'm trying to gain is the ability to give it full throttle when I want to.

Stock prop...I checked it's balance again...it's perfect. With the spinner off it still sounds weird (bad) @ full throttle. Stock prop 15x 5.5...54 amps @ full throttle.

APC 15x10...sounded great, but 80 amps @ full throttle. I backed off that real fast.

APC 14x7...sounded great...definitely much better than the stock prop...51.3 amps @ full throttle.

I'm leaving the 14 x 7 APC on for the moment, but looking for an MAS 15x6.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2013, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial
Wow! Are you guys kidding me?

The first Super Large E-Flite project and we now have several here reporting Bad ESC's, Propeller and Elevator Servos?

I was really excited until the last few pages!

Oh dear.....
Big old grain of salt. Remember, they have sold THOUSANDS of these birds... I've only seen a few reports of such issues, and many times those who have those issues are compelled to post it in the forums. My rudder servo is noisy as hell but otherwise Mine appears to be great. Only 2 flights on it so far though, so we'll have to see after I run more packs through it.

The good news is, assuming your plane makes it down I'm sure horizon will be VERY good at swapping out parts.

I may throw in a ZTW Gecko ESC in this pig just in case, plus to have the LVC motor slowdown vs. cutoff feature. Not just yet, but after I fly it more and decide how much I like it... Bigass plane to drag around even in my suburban...

Tom
Nov 03, 2013, 02:48 PM
Prefers radials

Paint help

Wondering if any of you resourceful chaps that have sorted out touch-up paint would share the brand and paint code? Or better yet, post up pic of the custom label off the paint can so a bunch of us don't have to schlep giant wings into our local Lowes/Home Depot.

Cheers
Latest blog entry: Pilot RC 40% Decathlon
Nov 03, 2013, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2tw4all
Big old grain of salt. Remember, they have sold THOUSANDS of these birds... I've only seen a few reports of such issues, and many times those who have those issues are compelled to post it in the forums. My rudder servo is noisy as hell but otherwise Mine appears to be great. Only 2 flights on it so far though, so we'll have to see after I run more packs through it.

The good news is, assuming your plane makes it down I'm sure horizon will be VERY good at swapping out parts.

I may throw in a ZTW Gecko ESC in this pig just in case, plus to have the LVC motor slowdown vs. cutoff feature. Not just yet, but after I fly it more and decide how much I like it... Bigass plane to drag around even in my suburban...

Tom
I have the same observation with my rudder servo as well. Loud and raspy as hell but it seems to work just fine. My right flap servo is also sticky or jerky but it also works fine. I also have 2 packs through mine with no issues so far so Im hoping that maybe the servos just need to be worked in some.
Nov 03, 2013, 03:01 PM
Do you think i can fly it at the sea with floats without damaging the electronics ? It is big enough to get water inside....I i land properly...
Nov 03, 2013, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChaCha
Ok...with this plane I'm NOT in this for the performance. My stock prop was sounding terrible @ full throttle. I very unscientifically just bench tested 3 props. All I'm trying to gain is the ability to give it full throttle when I want to.

Stock prop...I checked it's balance again...it's perfect. With the spinner off it still sounds weird (bad) @ full throttle. Stock prop 15x 5.5...54 amps @ full throttle.

APC 15x10...sounded great, but 80 amps @ full throttle. I backed off that real fast.

APC 14x7...sounded great...definitely much better than the stock prop...51.3 amps @ full throttle.

I'm leaving the 14 x 7 APC on for the moment, but looking for an MAS 15x6.
Were the APC's their E prop or standard? That would make a large difference
Nov 03, 2013, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_33
Were the APC's their E prop or standard? That would make a large difference
Both APCs are thin E. I just ordered a Master Airscrews 15x6. I've still got the stock prop, no damage and it's balanced perfectly, but it makes a bad enough noise at full throttle that my buddies watching me on the maiden commented how it must be out of balance (it's not).

No biggie, I'll figure it out. I'm into this plane for the low & slow fly by
Nov 03, 2013, 03:28 PM
Right Rudder
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedericoA
Do you think i can fly it at the sea with floats without damaging the electronics ? It is big enough to get water inside....I i land properly...
Any mishap, Salt water and even Brackish water will ruin Electronics if you don't have CRC 2-26 spray ready and most especially if the model is disabled for a long period of time on the water until recovery.

My recommendation is not to fly out of Salt or Brackish water.

Of course you don't have to listen to me.
Nov 03, 2013, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChaCha
Both APCs are thin E. I just ordered a Master Airscrews 15x6. I've still got the stock prop, no damage and it's balanced perfectly, but it makes a bad enough noise at full throttle that my buddies watching me on the maiden commented how it must be out of balance (it's not).

No biggie, I'll figure it out. I'm into this plane for the low & slow fly by
Cool then I will probably go to the 15 x 10 prop as that should perform well. I have a different speed controller in so 80 amps is well within its controllers ability
Nov 03, 2013, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_33
Cool then I will probably go to the 15 x 10 prop as that should perform well. I have a different speed controller in so 80 amps is well within its controllers ability
I am VERY interested in how that APC 15x10 performs for you. It pulled real hard. Let me know!!
Nov 03, 2013, 04:09 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedericoA
No. Even if you don't crash or get water inside, the air near large bodies of seawater is highly corrosive and will quickly destroy any circuitry that is not conformal-coated or at least well-sealed.

If you replace the servos with sealed marine servos, put the rx in a sealed box like the RC boat guys do, seal all electrical connections & connectors, and replace all of the hardware with 300-series stainless hardware - you would still only have marginal protection against the corrosive, salt-filled air that is present near all large bodies of seawater, as the ESC would still be exposed.

Joel
Latest blog entry: Eflite 2.1m Carbon-Z Cub SS
Nov 03, 2013, 04:45 PM
Living the dream in BrisVegas
All this talk of you guys in the states flying your CZC's is driving me nuts.. I just wish our australian distributor would hurry up and get them in, after all they have done two videos of it.. and we still can't buy it yet.. Ahhhh..
I'll be in the US in Dec for work so if I walk into a hobby shop and find one.. it might just come home with me, stuff the excess baggage..
Nov 03, 2013, 04:50 PM
Living the dream in BrisVegas
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
No. Even if you don't crash or get water inside, the air near large bodies of seawater is highly corrosive and will quickly destroy any circuitry that is not conformal-coated or at least well-sealed.

If you replace the servos with sealed marine servos, put the rx in a sealed box like the RC boat guys do, seal all electrical connections & connectors, and replace all of the hardware with 300-series stainless hardware - you would still only have marginal protection against the corrosive, salt-filled air that is present near all large bodies of seawater, as the ESC would still be exposed.

Joel
+1 on that.. There is almost nothing you can do to STOP salt ingress and corrosion. I used to fly off salt water because it was the only water available..even after using everything non-metal wherever possible it was a never ending battle against corrosion..
Nov 03, 2013, 05:45 PM
FoamyFactory.com

RF Color Scheme

OK guys, it's as good as I'm going to get it. I'm going to post it on the swap pages now. I'll post a link soon.

Enjoy!

Link to Swap File If you like it, please vote for it!
Last edited by Tim H.; Nov 03, 2013 at 05:53 PM.
Nov 03, 2013, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim H.
OK guys, it's as good as I'm going to get it. I'm going to post it on the swap pages now. I'll post a link soon.

Enjoy!

Link to Swap File If you like it, please vote for it!
Awesome! Will download tonight when I get to the hotel. Glad I brought my Sim!

Quick Reply