Thread Tools
Nov 02, 2013, 11:28 PM
Registered User
Eclipse_7's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideslip
If they don't give you satisfaction, I'd call HH first. Talk to one of the sales supervisors. Angel is a great gal and I know she would try to help.

One question, was the $401.99 before or after taxes?
Good advice, I'll give Wholesale Trains a chance to make it right before I take it to Horizon.

There was not tax, but I believe there was a $2 oversize/handling fee.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2013, 11:48 PM
I am not a robot
Sideslip's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse_7
Good advice, I'll give Wholesale Trains a chance to make it right before I take it to Horizon.

There was not tax, but I believe there was a $2 oversize/handling fee.
My best advice is, be very cordial when you talk to both of them. Try not to piss anyone off. If Wholesale Trains doesn't want to help, call Horizon and Explain to them that you had started assembly and that you have been charged for a BNF kit. I bet you'll find they are very willing to help. HH has the best Customer Service of any business I've ever dealt with, who deal with the public for their business. I can't tell you how much easier they are to deal with than say Harley Davidson. Shoot, I've spent $25K on a Harley only to have them bitch and whine over a $50 part.

I think you'll be just fine.
Nov 02, 2013, 11:48 PM
Prefers radials
marksp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo1957
Hi guys,

I'm reading different stories about using the 6S 5000mah packs:

- some are saying COG is perfect if the lipo is in the centre of the battery tray
- some are saying COG is perfect if the lipo is pushed all the way back in the battery tray
- some are saying even with the lipo pushed all the way back in the tray that the cub is still nose heavy

I don't have my cub yet but do have an almost new pair of 5000mah Zippy 6S 30C lipos that I grabbed off a member of another forum.

They weigh 784g & measure 146mm x 53mm x 53mm.

What can I expect with these in terms of the 3 viewpoints above?

Cheers,

Steve
With respect to CG, the most important piece of data missing from the 3 scenarios (and most of the battery related post) is weight of the pack. There is significant variance in weight of a 6S 5,000 20C and a 6S 5,000 60C. For the record, the "spec" pack (E-Filte 6S 3200 30C) weighs 490g.

My 788g packs CG with battery centered on battery tray; flies great.

Cheers
Latest blog entry: Pilot RC 40% Decathlon
Nov 02, 2013, 11:58 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideslip
I just got done doing the disassembly of the motor, esc, battery tray. I decided it was just too much trouble messing with a adapter. The adapter is to long and stiff and I'm sure sooner or later I'd have wiring problems. Took a good close look at my motor and ESC, and they both look to be brand new and assembled as well as I would expect. I'm kinda pooped from working late today so I'm going to solder the EC5 connector on tomorrow and then complete the reassembly, so I'll be ready if the weather permits on Monday I'll do the maiden.

Couple of questions for you other taildragger pilots out there. I have a couple of (5 or 6 actually) of the Parkzone 1.80" wheel/tire combos from our Corsair and other foamies that my grandson flies. We of course put larger tires on those. What I would like to know is do you think it would be worth chucking on of those up in a drill and sanding it down to about 1.5" to help ground handling on grass fields. I'm sure out field hasn't been mowed (the county does it) in quite a while and I'm a little concerned about that 1.25" narrow tire.

Second, what's everyones opinion of sanding off the mold lines on the front of the wing? It does look like it could at as a bit of a stall strip. Would it be worth the effort? I do have the paint to touch it up.

Thanks,

Bert
I was bouncing mine around the yard today testing things out before the maiden and I haven't mowed in a while, in fact there are piles of leaves everywhere since I haven't raked either, plane just bounced over everything. With the tundra tires in the front this thing will probably take crazy rough terrain, remember once you get it going the tail lifts right up, and this thing takes off and lands in about 10 feet or even less especially on takeoff. I'm sure it'll be fine even for taxi as long as the grass isn't insanely long, at which point I'd guess your prop would be hitting and you'd have much bigger problems. Let her rip I say!

Tom
Nov 03, 2013, 12:00 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse_7
I was really hoping to fly this thing in the morning. I double checked everything. I was charged for the BNF ($401.99) and received the PNP version. I hope they will just send me the Rx, but I don't have much faith in their customer service.

I'm so glad I get to talk to their lovely CS department again. It is exactly how I want to spend my Monday.
That sucks man, my LHS only got ONE of them in and it was a PNP, pretty sure he got his order in late or something but either way I ended up getting the AR635 for it, at least he gave me a deal since I paid him for the BNF he sold me the AR635 at his cost minus the $20 difference but it still cost me a bit more than the BNF would have been. Price you pay to want it NOW I suppose LOL. Now I'm waiting for him to get the stupid floats in. Hand on while I hold my breath on that one!

Tom
Nov 03, 2013, 12:06 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy S
Took a trip today to an out of town hobby shop and there in the corner sits a BNF Cub that had just came in yesterday. Needless to say but I couldn't pass it up.

Since I have just switched back to spektrum with the DX9, I have no experience with the AS3X. Should I be setting up a gear switch to change the gyro modes, or should I just leave it as is and not mess with it?

I managed to get it all put together and set up my radio, I trigger the gyro with throttle to verify if it corrects in the proper direction which it appears to, but the movements were so small it was very hard to tell. Is that normal or should it be making bigger movements?

Plan on flying it tomorrow, can't wait.
When you bind it to the DX9, everything should pretty much work out of the box. The gear switch on your DX9 as long as you didn't change any settings, will switch between "sport" and "3D" modes on the gyro, which will significantly impact the max throws of the servos. You'll definitely want to have the ability to switch back and forth but you shouldn't have to do anything special. Just set your travel to 125% for the R, E and A in the radio (then adjust to have equal travel on both sides, my rudder was way off here) and then make sure when you flip the gear switch you see a LOT more movement in the control surfaces.

It can be hard to check the movement of the surfaces with as3x but definitely make sure everything goes the right way. If you got a BNF I would expect that to be the case, for me I had to get the PNP and then add a stock AR635 so I had the privilege of learning how to program that gyro this afternoon when I discovered that both rudder and elevator were backwards. It's actually not that hard once you learn how to do it and how to read the LED's. Again, you shouldn't have to touch yours though, hopefully!

ENJOY the maiden, it's a fun plane for sure!

Tom
Nov 03, 2013, 12:21 AM
Team Horizon Hobby
knifeedge63's Avatar

Maiden? CHECK


Maidened my Carbon Cub today. WOW, what a wonderful flying airplane!

Im going to be starting a mod thread for the airpane here soon i think, because i HATE the stock landing gear and how hard and un-absorbant it is. Not bushplane like at all lol.
Nov 03, 2013, 12:58 AM
Prefers radials
marksp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2tw4all
When you bind it to the DX9, everything should pretty much work out of the box. The gear switch on your DX9 as long as you didn't change any settings, will switch between "sport" and "3D" modes on the gyro, which will significantly impact the max throws of the servos. You'll definitely want to have the ability to switch back and forth but you shouldn't have to do anything special. Just set your travel to 125% for the R, E and A in the radio (then adjust to have equal travel on both sides, my rudder was way off here) and then make sure when you flip the gear switch you see a LOT more movement in the control surfaces.

It can be hard to check the movement of the surfaces with as3x but definitely make sure everything goes the right way. If you got a BNF I would expect that to be the case, for me I had to get the PNP and then add a stock AR635 so I had the privilege of learning how to program that gyro this afternoon when I discovered that both rudder and elevator were backwards. It's actually not that hard once you learn how to do it and how to read the LED's. Again, you shouldn't have to touch yours though, hopefully!

ENJOY the maiden, it's a fun plane for sure!

Tom
The default CZ Cub AR635 programming is different from the standalone AR635 and the VisionAire AR635. In the CZ Cub, both flight modes have the same gain value and ch. 5 is reserved for the optional tow release.

If you want selectable flight modes (Sport & 3D, Off & 3D, or Sport & Off) you have to first re-program the AR635 and assign to gear switch.

The easiest/quickest option for your DX9 is to setup a new model, type airplane, wing type single ail, single flap, normal tail. Setup throws, expo and dual rate to recommendations in manual, bind and your done. This results in QQ defined default gyro settings - works well.

Cheers
Latest blog entry: Pilot RC 40% Decathlon
Nov 03, 2013, 12:58 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksp
With respect to CG, the most important piece of data missing from the 3 scenarios (and most of the battery related post) is weight of the pack. There is significant variance in weight of a 6S 5,000 20C and a 6S 5,000 60C. For the record, the "spec" pack (E-Filte 6S 3200 30C) weighs 490g.

My 788g packs CG with battery centered on battery tray; flies great.

Cheers
Thanks Mark,

Looks like I should be ok then given my Zippy packs weigh the same as yours.

Cheers,

Steve
Nov 03, 2013, 04:52 AM
I am not a robot
Sideslip's Avatar
Of course the weather here is going to be great for flying, and with the clocks set back an hour for Day light savings time, it'll be pitch dark by the time I get home from work at 6:30 this evening!!!

I hope the winds aren't as bad as they're predicting for tomorrow...I wanna maiden this pretty bird.
Nov 03, 2013, 05:50 AM
Team E.F./Horizon/Castle/Pulse
mxcop's Avatar
Just a few things to note. I'm flying with the recommended 3200's and 5000's, I have the 3200's centered on the tray and it's perfect. I moved the 5000's back until they hit the ittle bump in the bottom of the fuse, they're half way back on the tray and you can only use one strap. The 5000 feels great there and honestly, if you're flying with AS3X it will compensate for the CG change to an extent, it will make a plane that could be nose or tail heavy bot feel so nose or tail heavy.

I got the Plug and Play version so the receiver was separate. If this is the route you go it's important to take the following steps with the 635. Set your Radio end points to what the Carbon Z Cub manual says, 125% end points on Elevator, Aileron, Rudder and Flaps. Make sure you read the instructions for the receiver for the next steps. I will also attach a link to John Redman's programming video, it's very easy to follow and understand. If you have already installed your prop go ahead and remove it for safety during programming. You will need to program the receiver to sport mode first. Once you are in sport mode go ahead and throttle up slightly to engage the AS3X, it only takes a quick blip of the throttle. Now the most important part, check the sensing motion of the receiver. You will find that the ailerons are set correctly, but the elevator and rudder are backwards, if you don't change the sensing direction your flight will more than likely only last a few seconds. You can change the sensing motion while programing the gain, I believe the default gain in sport mode is 70% on all three axis. Remember the gear switch is the default gain mode, rate switch with this receiver, make sure when setting the sensing motion and gain you do so with the switch in both positions, John will talk about this in the video. When you program the gain go ahead and set it to 80% on all three axis, this is how the BNF is programmed out of the box. Once you have everything programmed you will notice that the rate are the same between both switch settings, that is preset and can't be programed differently on the gear switch. however you can go ahead and set up a flight mode or regular dual rates on the switch you desire. Now you can set the dual rate percentages to what Quique recommends in the manual, low rate 70% all around and high rate 100%. You can adjust this to what ever you like but you have to keep the percentages between 50 and 100% in order for the AS3X to function properly. Now you can leave the gear switch in either position, the gain and throw is the same either way, so you rates switch will do whatever adjustments you need. I'm using 20% expo high rate 10% low rate on the ailerons and elevators and 20% expo on high and low rate rudder. I will still play with the expo more, it may not even need that much.

I'm very happy with the recommended rate and settings, the plane flies so great with these settings, slow rolls, 4 and 8 point rolls are so easy, I maintains a slow knife edge with authority and well!! I have had no issues hovering either, locks in well and stays there with minimal inputs. I use my flaps when first entering the hover then shut them off as soon as the plane is vertical, it allows a very slow, stable entry but doesn't have to be done this way. The only thing I did slightly different in the radio setup was the flap system, I have a 50% setting with 20% down elevator mix and full flaps with 30% down elevator mix, so far I have found the mix percentages to be perfect for my setup.

Hope this helps anyone setting their Cubs up, you are going to love this plane when you get it in the air!!

John Redman AS3X set up:
HorizonHobby.com How To - Programming Your Spektrum AR635 Receiver (23 min 57 sec)


Lee Morey
Team Horizon
Last edited by mxcop; Nov 03, 2013 at 10:40 AM.
Nov 03, 2013, 05:58 AM
Right Rudder
PittSpecial's Avatar
Why, that's amazing!

I posted that same Video in another thread a few hours ago!

Imagine that!
Nov 03, 2013, 08:17 AM
Registered User
HotChaCha's Avatar

Maiden today, fits my VAN with wings on!


I have been passionately following this thread since day 1. My cub is READY...maiden is today. I've got a Dodge Grand Caravan with Stow & Go seating (seats fold into the floor). It HAD to go inverted through the back hatch, and I attached the tail wheel to a clothes hook so there's no pressure on the rudder. I'm totally psyched.

This plane has probably found the limits to my van's transport capabilities. Anything larger and I'll need an enclosed trailer.

<<<HONEY!!! I'm getting a trailer!!!>>>
Nov 03, 2013, 08:40 AM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChaCha
I have been passionately following this thread since day 1. My cub is READY...maiden is today. I've got a Dodge Grand Caravan with Stow & Go seating (seats fold into the floor). It HAD to go inverted through the back hatch, and I attached the tail wheel to a clothes hook so there's no pressure on the rudder. I'm totally psyched.

This plane has probably found the limits to my van's transport capabilities. Anything larger and I'll need an enclosed trailer.

<<<HONEY!!! I'm getting a trailer!!!>>>
Flight report today?
Nov 03, 2013, 09:16 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse_7
I was really hoping to fly this thing in the morning. I double checked everything. I was charged for the BNF ($401.99) and received the PNP version. I hope they will just send me the Rx, but I don't have much faith in their customer service.

I'm so glad I get to talk to their lovely CS department again. It is exactly how I want to spend my Monday.
401? Wow I thought they were selling them at a discount. Either that or my LHS really likes me


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product E-flite Carbon-Z Splendor BNF ChuckTseeker Sport Planes 3707 Mar 09, 2021 07:07 PM
For Sale E-FLITE BL25 POWER 25 BRUSHLESS MOTOR CARBON-Z $57 shipped 3drcparts Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 4 Apr 08, 2013 12:16 AM
For Sale NIB E-Flite Carbon-Z Yak Servo Cobra68 Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 0 Jan 27, 2013 06:02 PM
Sold E-flite Carbon-Z Yak 54 PNP *LPU* jjohns51 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Jan 06, 2013 03:37 PM