Nov 02, 2013, 04:38 PM
FoamyFactory.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-86FLIER4LIFE
Let us know when you put that on the knife edge website for download!
Will do!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2013, 05:15 PM

anybody flown with flap mixed to elevator yet? @ 42%?

Manual says to mix 42% down elevator with 100% flaps...that's a LOT of down elevator!! Has anybody flown with that mix yet? I've got it programmed but currently set to inhibit.
Nov 02, 2013, 05:26 PM
wdy
wdy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChaCha
Manual says to mix 42% down elevator with 100% flaps...that's a LOT of down elevator!! Has anybody flown with that mix yet? I've got it programmed but currently set to inhibit.
Yes works very well I put the 42% down elevator with 100% flaps also put
21% down elevator with 50% flaps I think this is best mybe just for me I have both of them setup.
Nov 02, 2013, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdy
21% down elevator with 50% flaps I think this is best mybe just for me I have both of them setup.
Thanks for the response...that just seems like a LOT of down elevator. Did you program the 2 second flap speed also or do both of those snap right into position?
Nov 02, 2013, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Thanks ... Did you program the 2 second flap speed also or do both of those snap right into position?
Gradual deployment is preferred
Nov 02, 2013, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Thanks for the response...that just seems like a LOT of down elevator. Did you program the 2 second flap speed also or do both of those snap right into position?
I didn't set that mix but I plan to. Maidened this beauty in a local baseball field, ran 2 full packs through, what a great plane!!! I will say, with 1/2 flaps in no wind, it takes off in very little space, but even at 1/2 flaps it needs a TON of down elevator so I'm sure this mix is pretty close. I have to tell you, it took off in less than 10 feet, and I was concerned about landing since I was in a small baseball field that was fenced in all around, but the flaps are like air brakes, you just deploy them and do slow circles to lose altitude until you can line it up and land it, it lands at WALKING SPEED and again this was no wind! Amazing for a plane this big and heavy. It definitely has way more power than it needs, but it's great for aerobatics. I can confirm it will hover, but definitely tends to torque roll if there is no wind at all to hold it straight. There was a small intermittent breeze when I flew the first pack, and as long as there was just a puff it would hold in a hover and you had enough aileron to prevent torquing. Loves to knifeedge, a little bit of coupling but it's so big you can pretty easily fly around it or set up a small mix if you need. Definitely not what I'd consider a 3D plane, but since that's what I fly it's enough aerobatically speaking that I will enjoy flying this plane off of floats at the local lake. LOVE the size, spent 1/2 a pack before I left just bouncing it around the yard, tundra tires are AWESOME!

I had to get a PNP and install the AR635 that I purchased separately. The rudder and aileron were both correcting the wrong way so I had to reverse the gain for those two channels. There's a good video out there on how to program the AR635 and once you get it it's really straightforward to adjust gains etc. Can't wait to fly this off the water once floats come in, and fly it at a larger field where I'm not flying circles with limited space to fly!!!!

Tom
Nov 02, 2013, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
Gradual deployment is preferred
Ya I set mine for 3 seconds. You will want gradual flap deployment on this for sure, since it will porpoise like crazy especially if you don't program a mix!!!

Tom
Nov 02, 2013, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdy
question...can one do these settings with a dx6i....or there is only flaps on or off.
Nov 02, 2013, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdy
I've got a Dx18 and flap to elevator mix is SO EASY with this radio. The Dx18 also synchs deployment speed of both the elevator and flap servos. I went with the 2 second setting as recommended in the manual.

I did set 21% down @ 50% flap, but just can't bring myself to put 42% down on 100% flap. That is so much DOWN elevator. When you program that down elevator also (42%) you don't have a lot of up elevator left. I'll get my chance to maiden tomorrow I think. I'll play with it and see how it goes...for me.

The person asking about doing this on the Dx6i. I don't think you can. I haven't had a DX6i for a while so I'll let somebody else answer. Maybe there's a trick to it?
Nov 02, 2013, 06:45 PM
I am not a robot
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
RG,

Guess it wasn't a video that was posted. Just a pic in post 2096 from the 31st - already 14 pages deep!

At any rate - it looks like the plane remains quite agile at what appears to be barely jogging-speed. I bet that I could fly it from my backyard, and even do low & slow figure eights with it in my open north yard. Not sure if it would fit between the trees & my ham radio antenna on an approach from the south, though. And then there's the fact that I've already hit my ham antenna with the UMX Beast, Carbon Cub, and Sbach, plus the 130X.

But it would be cool to do some FPV "bush-flying" over my 4 acres of woods & the inaccessible 67-acre lake that's surrounded by swampland - which you've seen in some of my on-board clips from the yard with the UM Mossie & UMX Carbon Cub. If I'm able to land in my yard, it would be doable with the Z-Cub. The advantage being that this plane will easily carry a system with enough power to work reliably through the 600' or so of woods between my yard & the lake. I can just imagine landing on the lake during the winter with the floats on, then taking off & flying back to the yard. Once everything is frozen, lake access is no problem, so I could always walk back there to retrieve it if I couldn't fly back for some reason. Don't think I'd have the guts to try FPV ROW back there in the summer, though. But man, that would be so cool to do!!

Joel
For some reason I couldn't get that video to load that day. Then it wouldn't let me delete the photo either, so I just said to heck with it and went down to the shop to tinker with the CZC some more.
Nov 02, 2013, 06:55 PM
Quote:
I've got a Dx18 and flap to elevator mix is SO EASY with this radio. The Dx18 also synchs deployment speed of both the elevator and flap servos. I went with the 2 second setting as recommended in the manual.

I did set 21% down @ 50% flap, but just can't bring myself to put 42% down on 100% flap. That is so much DOWN elevator. When you program that down elevator also (42%) you don't have a lot of up elevator left. I'll get my chance to maiden tomorrow I think. I'll play with it and see how it goes...for me.

The person asking about doing this on the Dx6i. I don't think you can. I haven't had a DX6i for a while so I'll let somebody else answer. Maybe there's a trick to it?
thanks for the reply.
Nov 02, 2013, 07:05 PM
I also found 42% down elevator to be a bit much... it works well if you are flying around wide open but once you bring the power way back (eg. final) she starts diving down pretty aggressively. I'm at 30% down now and it works better, though I'll probably continue tweaking. It's going to come down to compromise and what power setting settings you expect with your flaps down, because it makes a big difference.
Nov 02, 2013, 07:31 PM
Anyone try flaperons on this thing yet? I'm thinking they would help in a hover since the ailerons are so far out they are out of the thrust from the motor, but maybe if the flaps moved down on one side too it would help...

Tom
Nov 02, 2013, 07:38 PM
Castle Support

Telling on myself....

Like a big kid I hurried to get my Cub in the air... I installed a Talon 90 so I could test one in an airplane.... After 10 flight or so I realized I had not calibrated the throttle while I was working on the flap mix....

With the endpoints on the throttle at 50-50 the plane would hover... imagine my surprise once calibrated.. not only will this thing hover but it will pul out like a rocket...

So after about 10 more flights and some tweaking... I am very pleased with the CUB... just does seem right for it to perform so well..... :-)

Ready for the AMA District 5 Air-fest next week...
Nov 02, 2013, 07:46 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Got a quick maiden in before our yearly electric event today and then flew it twice more during the fly in.

REALLY like it. Used a Glacier 6s 4400 pack for all flights today.

Two Carbon Cubs present today out of 42 attendees and about 150 models. Blake Arnold, a club member and flying buddy had his out as well. LOTS of interest by those seeing them for the first time. All of us in this thread knew a lot about the CZCC before it came out, but this is brand new when seeing it live for the first time for a lot of folks.

A side note on the elevator compensation for flaps deployment: As others have mentioned, the amount of elevator compensation is highly dependent on the models airspeed when you deploy the flaps. If you are slowly cruising around, or slow down before dropping the flaps, you need less compensation. I have my half flap compensation set at about 15 degrees of down elevator and may reduce it a little bit more.

I think HH And Eflite knocked this model out of the park. Well done!
Latest blog entry: My 2021 event schedule

Quick Reply