Aug 10, 2019, 11:35 AM

CZC landing gear adapter?

Anyone making an adapter (3d printer) to adapter the v2 landing gear to the v1 CZC?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 10, 2019, 12:31 PM

Kavan wheels and the hngar 9 landing gear update

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.wagner
I've finished mounting the landing gear, and I've got to say I am very happy with the results!
To start with, I am thrilled with the quality of construction of Hangar 9's gear. The only imperfection I found, was that one of the tubular steel pivot points was 1 mm longer than the other 3...no big deal!
The question of how to mount the gear to the fuselage was answered when thrashing around the workshop, searching for the right piece of steel channel to lay into the fuse, I noticed my collection of odd toggle bolts. The spring loaded, steel butterflies at the ends, looked amazingly like the mounts that Hangar 9 sells for its Carbon Cub.
If I cut the fuse up to mount my gear, I'd have to come up with a new way to mount the floats, and I do like flying on floats!
I decided to leave the fuse intact, and make my new mounts removable.
After much measuring, eyeballing and test fitting, I drilled holes in my new found brackets, and lined the ends of the original gear's slot with some of my wife's cling wrap.
I smeared the insides of these pockets with a little petroleum jelly on a Q-tip, and packed in some JB Weld "Water Weld" epoxy putty. I pressed the brackets onto the putty, and cleaned up the extra that oozed out.
That putty sticks so well to the steel that it might be enough to hold for some people's landings, but certainly not enough for mine!
When hardened, I pulled the brackets out of their sockets, cleaned them up, and drilled a screw hole through, to hold them in place.
These, and the rear brackets will be the weak point in a badddd landing. I didn't use the ones with the heaviest gauge steel, and the screws holding them in place are only as strong as the rather thin plastic that they are screwed into.
The included axles weren't long enough to accommodate my Kavans, so I cut up a nail that was the perfect diameter. The head of the nail saves having to use a retaining collar!
I left the crosshatch pattern on the head of the nail for a laugh.

I can't wait till it warms up enough to test the new gear.
Can someone lead me to the right post or tell me how the were able to get the Kavan wheels to work on the Hangar 9 cub articulated landing gear? I think I bought the last pair of kavan wheels in the US and the inside diameter on the axel adapters included in the bag are still larger than the axel diameter. Is there a size of brass tubing that will act as a shim?

Thanks,

Jim
Aug 17, 2019, 02:18 PM
I read many threads about this Cub. I happened to get one from a buddy and did read that the OE prop was no good. I could not find a read on what you guys use for a replacement prop for the OE prop and motor. Would appreciate your help god you use one with success. Thanks.
Aug 17, 2019, 02:56 PM
It’s not a bad prop but when I modified mine and installed a larger motor I put an APC electric prop, any electric prop properly sized will do the job.
Aug 17, 2019, 06:22 PM
I hate to do the popular mod job I see here as it is used and pretty beat up but it flies very good when I saw my buddy flying around in circles. Just thought there was the ideal substitute for the OE prop. Might just keep using that. Problem is I heard it soaked up moisture. Maybe a spray varnish would fix that or nothing at all. Thanks for your reply.
Aug 17, 2019, 08:13 PM
Do you have a wooden prop? The OEM is plastic.
Aug 18, 2019, 12:48 AM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Power 60 with a Xoar 16x8.

The stock prop isn't all that bad. They have a similar prop on the Carbon ZT-28 which *is* crappy and almost everyone replaces right away. But I think I flew my Cub on the stock prop and motor until I busted the prop and bent the motor shaft and upgraded. The stock prop did need to be balanced, though. It was way off out of the box. I never flew it with an unbalanced prop, but I suspect the plane would have been noisy as hell at WOT if I hadn't balanced it.
Aug 20, 2019, 02:06 PM

Kavan wheels and E-Flite Carbon Z landing Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpmcdo
Can someone lead me to the right post or tell me how they were able to get the Kavan wheels to work on the Hangar 9 cub articulated landing gear? I think I bought the last pair of kavan wheels in the US and the inside diameter on the axel adapters included in the bag are still larger than the axel diameter on the e-flite axel. Is there a size of brass tubing that will act as a shim?

Thanks,

Jim
Since no one responded to my question and since I have solved my dilemma, I thought I would post the solution that worked for me.

I used Albion Alloys round brass tubes. The one that is 4.76MM X 0.35MM fits inside the Kavon wheels and around the E-flite carbon Z cub landing gear - https://www.horizonhobby.com/landing...cc-p-han506517

Th brand of tube shouldn't matter, but that is what my local hobby shop carries.
Aug 20, 2019, 02:18 PM
I am not a robot
Glad you got it solved. I really didn't know the answer, as I suspect many others did not.

Good information too,

Bert

EDIT; Please post some photos when you have it mounted.

Quick Reply