Jun 28, 2019, 11:47 PM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsled666
I was thinking of upgrading. You seem to have a fair amount of the same planes I have, so I'll be interested in hearing how you think V2 flies compared to the V1...
The video posted above is my plane, with my son and I flying it. My impression is:

Pros:

Orange color looks great
New wing loos great and seems to perform better (better handling at slower speeds)
Power is on the 3D side of Sport flying. not 3D power, but very strong sport performance, much more than scale. I flew for 20 minutes on an 8000mah pack today and had 60% batt remaining.
New landing gear looks great and performs great.

Cons:

Collet adapter instead of rotor end -- I have not had a real collet failure, but it does not inspire confidence.

Same weak tailwheel as v1. We'll see how long that lasts.

Large tires do not handle well on pavement. (typical)

Plane still comes with the 60A ESC. Ditch that for your favorite 6S 80A, and never worry about it again.
Latest blog entry: From the CC Paint Shop
to remove ads between posts
Jun 28, 2019, 11:53 PM
I am not a robot
The best replacement spinner I've found for the CZC is the black plastic with aluminum back plate. Perfect fit and available in Black, Red, Blue and White.

https://extremeflightrc.com/Extreme-...ck_p_4814.html
Jun 29, 2019, 01:51 AM
If it flies, I can crash it.
OK, CC, here's a silly question.... will the V2 wings fit the V1 fuse? Does the gear look like it could be adapted to V1?

Is it the same motor as the V1?
Jun 29, 2019, 02:06 AM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsled666
OK, CC, here's a silly question.... will the V2 wings fit the V1 fuse? Does the gear look like it could be adapted to V1?

Is it the same motor as the V1?
V2 wings fit on V1, no problem

Fuselage gear mount would need to be completely re-engineered on the v1 to mount v2 gear. My V2 fuselage is out in my truck, so I dont have good pics right now.

-CC

Note: I am making new sticker windows on my v1, so the fuselage looks ratty right now.
Latest blog entry: From the CC Paint Shop
Jun 29, 2019, 02:39 PM
Cool. Good to know!
Jun 30, 2019, 07:42 PM
Wingnutz

Recommended motor replacement?

Me with the vibrating Carbon Cub again. Cubcrazy, thanks for the link to Tomzilla’s clocking thing...tried it, no improvement...still bellows. This time, I stood in front of the h stab and ran the motor up where I could watch. Bellowed like a moose and it was easy to see the motor leaping around on the front of the plane. Replace the stock prop with a balanced APC 16x8...no change, still shakes and vibrates like crazy. Calm evening and almost charged battery, so, inspite of the vibration at higher rpms, flew anyway...bellowed and vibrated on take off with throttle advanced, but that was it...flying in scale fashion, rarely going over 1/2 throttle, the model behaved perfectly.
What’s the recommended motor replacement?
I usually fly scale but love the fact this thing can hover (if you’re not afraid the motor will fly off the nose!)
Jun 30, 2019, 10:17 PM
Yeah. That sounds like my Cub. I know either my prop adapter or motor shaft is bent. I haven't taken it apart to figure it out. I've got the motor out of my CZ T-28, which I upgraded with a Scorpion Heli motor, and was thinking of just putting that in the Cub. I've got a Power-60 470KV in it now, but the T-28's motor is 500KV "60" sized motor so I'd maybe get a bit more performance than the P-60 anyway. But a P-60 is a good upgrade for this plane. You must upgrade the ESC too, though. Castle 90 is highly recommended.
Jun 30, 2019, 10:44 PM
I am not a robot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Quantock
Me with the vibrating Carbon Cub again. Cubcrazy, thanks for the link to Tomzilla’s clocking thing...tried it, no improvement...still bellows. This time, I stood in front of the h stab and ran the motor up where I could watch. Bellowed like a moose and it was easy to see the motor leaping around on the front of the plane. Replace the stock prop with a balanced APC 16x8...no change, still shakes and vibrates like crazy. Calm evening and almost charged battery, so, inspite of the vibration at higher rpms, flew anyway...bellowed and vibrated on take off with throttle advanced, but that was it...flying in scale fashion, rarely going over 1/2 throttle, the model behaved perfectly.
I usually fly scale but love the fact this thing can hover (if you’re not afraid the motor will fly off the nose!)
Yeah, from what you're saying now it sounds like you have either a bent prop adapter or a bent motor shaft. You can take off the cowl and prop adapter and run the motor with them removed. You should be able to see the shaft runout and tell if it's bent. If the motor shaft runs true, you could just buy another prop adapter.

But if the motor shaft is bent and you're not experienced at changing them you'd be better off just changing the motor. The Power 60 is a good alternative but it does require you to bore out the center hole in the motor X mount so that the rear shaft will clear, and you need to upgrade the ESC. Most who make this change use the Castle Creations Talon 90 ESC. Use of the Talon 90 will require cutting a larger hole below the firewall to make room for the ESC and a little room for air flow.

I recommend the 470KV Power 60 and a 16X8 Xoar PJN prop. If you make that change I'd also recommend you change the spinner. I use the Extreme Flight Electric 63mm spinner. It comes in black, and is the best spinner I've ever found for the CZC.

With the Power 60 in the nose you can still fly scale, with the addition of nearly unlimited vertical performance. It will hover with ease. Down side is you will get a little less flight time, if you use the horse power available.

Good luck with it.

BTW, the choice of a new stock replacement motor would just bolt right in, and you'd have the same as stock type performance.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/bl50-br...525kv-eflm7450

https://www.horizonhobby.com/15-x-7-...ller-eflp1570e

https://extremeflightrc.com/Extreme-...ck_p_4814.html

https://www.horizonhobby.com/propell...cub-efl1045013

One last thing. Make sure that all that vibration has not caused the glue to come loose around the motor mount/ firewall.
Last edited by Sideslip; Jun 30, 2019 at 10:50 PM.
Jul 01, 2019, 11:36 AM
Wingnutz
Sideslip, rocketsled, thanks for the suggestions and support. Propellor/spinnerplate/collet prop adaptor off, no vibration.
Cowling off checks...motor shaft seems true...can’t detect any wobble at low rpm.
Adaptor/collet wobbles slightly at low rpm...will replace and see.
Below is a photo of the cowling paint removed by the spinner backplate when it vibrates...at low rpm, it clears nicely.
Jul 01, 2019, 11:44 AM
I am not a robot
With the prop and adapter removed, run up the motor to high RPM, and see if the shaft is true. One way you can surely tell is to hold a fingernail against the tip of the shaft. If you don't feel comfortable doing that put the end of a popsicle stick against it. You'll feel a definite vibration if it's bent. My feeling is that the aluminum prop adapter has been bent due to a nose over. Replacing the prop adapter will probably fix most of your problem. However I'd replace the spinner as well. That spinner is generally out of balance and the one I recommended looks a lot better too.
Jul 01, 2019, 01:18 PM
Wingnutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideslip
With the prop and adapter removed, run up the motor to high RPM, and see if the shaft is true. One way you can surely tell is to hold a fingernail against the tip of the shaft. If you don't feel comfortable doing that put the end of a popsicle stick against it. You'll feel a definite vibration if it's bent. My feeling is that the aluminum prop adapter has been bent due to a nose over. Replacing the prop adapter will probably fix most of your problem. However I'd replace the spinner as well. That spinner is generally out of balance and the one I recommended looks a lot better too.
Ran high rpms with adaptor off...I can just feel the shaft wobble with fingernail. Brand new adaptor on, high rpms, prop still vibrates...how much shaft wobble should there be?
Jul 01, 2019, 04:03 PM
I am not a robot
The motor shaft should not have much at all. But saying you "can just feel the shaft wobble" is kind of subjective. I can't say how much a new adapter would wobble on a straight motor shaft. But if you're pretty sure the adapter is not bent, then it's one of two things. That prop is out of balance or the motor shaft is bent.

Honestly I have not known anyone else to have this much trouble getting the prop to run smoothly. Especialy if you are now using a well balanced APC prop.
Jul 11, 2019, 01:22 PM
Can someone give me the post showing different batteries and which were good
Jul 14, 2019, 08:11 AM
→ 404 Not Found
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Quantock
Aerodrive SK3 5055 430kv

You can find all info including a huge list of all possible motors here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ns-for-the-CZC
Jul 17, 2019, 02:04 PM
The sky is my playground.
Small favor: Can someone tell me how wide the floats are when setup? At their widest point. I want to know if I can fit them through a doorway on my boat still be attached to the fuselage. Or if I have to take them off for storing in the cabin. Thank you!

Quick Reply