Thread Tools
Oct 30, 2013, 02:08 AM
Registered User
sirzeppu's Avatar
Got my CZ Cub all done. Unfortunately there is some non-critical packing damage, but the LHS has my back and will be in contact with HH about parts. We documented the box damage and the damage to my wing. Actually, both wings were damaged, but the left wing was only slightly marred and I'm not going to sweat it. Right wing has a pretty good gouge...so I'll take a replacement on that.

Here's the thing:

During my build I got some packing tape stuck to the top of the fuse. Yes, it tore the beautiful blue paint right off. Wondering if anyone has researched a good touch-up paint this early in the game. I also did some damage around the battery hatch from moving my 4 different packs around to find CG with each one. I need paint in that area as well.

I forgot about how fragile foam planes can be...at least from an aesthetic standpoint. They are much more resilient, but the paint and foam is easily dented and scraped.

I can't WAIT to fly this thing!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2013, 02:18 AM
Registered User
Watts cooking's Avatar
Has anyone had problems with motor cutting out on power up. I do the initial arming of the gyro and as I'm taxing around using rudder the motor emits loud chirp shuts off and I have to go to down throttle then I can power back up. It happens randomly but often. I plugged it into my watt meter and when it cuts out it instantly goes to zero on watts and amps but comes back as I pull throttle down and back up. It can throttle it all the way no problems but as soon as I start using rudder and taxing it shuts off randomly. Using any control surface while under throttle power will cause the motor to shut down. New battery off the charger, I'm stumped. Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

Chris
Oct 30, 2013, 05:37 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watts cooking View Post
Has anyone had problems with motor cutting out on power up. I do the initial arming of the gyro and as I'm taxing around using rudder the motor emits loud chirp shuts off and I have to go to down throttle then I can power back up. It happens randomly but often. I plugged it into my watt meter and when it cuts out it instantly goes to zero on watts and amps but comes back as I pull throttle down and back up. It can throttle it all the way no problems but as soon as I start using rudder and taxing it shuts off randomly. Using any control surface while under throttle power will cause the motor to shut down. New battery off the charger, I'm stumped. Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

Chris
Hi Chris,

It sounds like you are hitting the low voltage cut off. I have not opened my box yet, it just came last night. Does it have a separate BEC or is it part of the speed controller? Go back through and make sure all the connectors are nice and tight.

Hope this helps!

Rob
Oct 30, 2013, 06:06 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watts cooking View Post
Has anyone had problems with motor cutting out on power up. I do the initial arming of the gyro and as I'm taxing around using rudder the motor emits loud chirp shuts off and I have to go to down throttle then I can power back up. It happens randomly but often. I plugged it into my watt meter and when it cuts out it instantly goes to zero on watts and amps but comes back as I pull throttle down and back up. It can throttle it all the way no problems but as soon as I start using rudder and taxing it shuts off randomly. Using any control surface while under throttle power will cause the motor to shut down. New battery off the charger, I'm stumped. Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

Chris
Make sure your ESC is detecting 6 cells (6 beeps)
Oct 30, 2013, 06:26 AM
Registered User
Was able to get 4 more packs through last night. Finally low winds. Did a lot of flap flying, bunch of fun . Was able to elevator it, witch looked pretty cool for a cub. Was able to briefly hover it, with the flaps, Im just learning 3D, so the plane is deffintly capable just not me yet. 3300 packs work just fine, plenty of flight time, 5000 probably if you want to fly around wide open the whole time. A few guys at the club last night, they were pretty impressed with its capabilities.
Oct 30, 2013, 06:27 AM
Thermal Hunter
jnoel's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirzeppu View Post

Here's the thing:

During my build I got some packing tape stuck to the top of the fuse. Yes, it tore the beautiful blue paint right off. Wondering if anyone has researched a good touch-up paint this early in the game. I also did some damage around the battery hatch from moving my 4 different packs around to find CG with each one. I need paint in that area as well.

I forgot about how fragile foam planes can be...at least from an aesthetic standpoint. They are much more resilient, but the paint and foam is easily dented and scraped.

I can't WAIT to fly this thing!


I have a set of Large blunt nosed "Sharpie" brand markers...and the dark blue
is pretty darn close to the Carbon Cub's...That is what I will be using for touch up....
Would not use it in a "Large" area...just small touch up spots..
Oct 30, 2013, 06:32 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoel View Post
I have a set of Large blunt nosed "Sharpie" brand markers...and the dark blue
is pretty darn close to the Carbon Cub's...That is what I will be using for touch up
I will try that, getting a little paint ware around the battery hatch. Any ideas for the gray?
Oct 30, 2013, 07:00 AM
I am not a robot
Sideslip's Avatar
Don't know about the specific colors but I have heard good things about this paint. Where to buy it local is the problem. Ordering it would take a few days. I think the Fasblue might be pretty close, but you'd have to blend the gray for the windows.

http://parmapse.shptron.com/c/faskol...r-basic-colors


I'm getting a little flaking around the battery hatch. So I'll be looking at paint myself. Most hobby shops will carry a line of paint that blends well and is foam safe.
Oct 30, 2013, 07:22 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideslip View Post
Don't know about the specific colors but I have heard good things about this paint. Where to buy it local is the problem. Ordering it would take a few days. I think the Fasblue might be pretty close, but you'd have to blend the gray for the windows.

http://parmapse.shptron.com/c/faskol...r-basic-colors


I'm getting a little flaking around the battery hatch. So I'll be looking at paint myself. Most hobby shops will carry a line of paint that blends well and is foam safe.
Good idea, I think I have a bunch of that brand laying around somewhere.
Oct 30, 2013, 07:44 AM
Registered User

Box size


I am picking up tomorrow and need to know the box length so that I can be sure that the car is big enough. Else I may have to decant it out of the box at the store to get it home.
Oct 30, 2013, 07:52 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist_603 View Post
I am picking up tomorrow and need to know the box length so that I can be sure that the car is big enough. Else I may have to decant it out of the box at the store to get it home.
27x52x8 inch's
Oct 30, 2013, 08:17 AM
Registered User
Watts cooking, the loud chirps are NOT GOOD! That to me sounds like a short in the motor or a wire connection some where. The low voltage would do pulsing before cut out. I would not fly with this problem. Check all connectors and solder points. Make sure the motor turns freely.

Then I would start replacing things to eliminate the problem. Swap out ESC, then motor until you find which it is. It just doesn't sound like a battery problem to me.
Oct 30, 2013, 08:37 AM
Mobyal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim H. View Post
My LHS called me at 3 to let me know it came in. I was back home by 4 with a BIG box. Build tomorrow and maybe a test flight too. We'll see. Possible rain in the forecast. I'm very glad the screw situation has been solved too.

I'll get video for sure with my go pro hat cam. Looks like gopro mounts for the airframe will be fairly straight forward too. Not gonna wait for HH.

This thing is gonna be FUN!!!!


Guess that box isn't gonna fit in my MINI Cooper. Have to take the Tahoe to the LHS for pickup.
Oct 30, 2013, 08:37 AM
Mines faster than your's
Texasredrider's Avatar
Waiting patiently for the call from my LHS. Does anyone know if the ESC will handle 8s? I have a bunch of 4s 3300's to make a few 8s packs. Maybe prop down an inch or two? Or three?!?
Oct 30, 2013, 08:42 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasredrider View Post
Waiting patiently for the call from my LHS. Does anyone know if the ESC will handle 8s? I have a bunch of 4s 3300's to make a few 8s packs. Maybe prop down an inch or two? Or three?!?
Shows 3 to 6 cell


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product E-flite Carbon-Z Splendor BNF ChuckTseeker Sport Planes 3707 Mar 09, 2021 07:07 PM
For Sale E-FLITE BL25 POWER 25 BRUSHLESS MOTOR CARBON-Z $57 shipped 3drcparts Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 4 Apr 08, 2013 12:16 AM
For Sale NIB E-Flite Carbon-Z Yak Servo Cobra68 Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 0 Jan 27, 2013 06:02 PM
Sold E-flite Carbon-Z Yak 54 PNP *LPU* jjohns51 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Jan 06, 2013 03:37 PM