Mar 26, 2016, 12:20 PM
I can fix that!

Hangar 9 LG

I've finished mounting the landing gear, and I've got to say I am very happy with the results!
To start with, I am thrilled with the quality of construction of Hangar 9's gear. The only imperfection I found, was that one of the tubular steel pivot points was 1 mm longer than the other 3...no big deal!
The question of how to mount the gear to the fuselage was answered when thrashing around the workshop, searching for the right piece of steel channel to lay into the fuse, I noticed my collection of odd toggle bolts. The spring loaded, steel butterflies at the ends, looked amazingly like the mounts that Hangar 9 sells for its Carbon Cub.
If I cut the fuse up to mount my gear, I'd have to come up with a new way to mount the floats, and I do like flying on floats!
I decided to leave the fuse intact, and make my new mounts removable.
After much measuring, eyeballing and test fitting, I drilled holes in my new found brackets, and lined the ends of the original gear's slot with some of my wife's cling wrap.
I smeared the insides of these pockets with a little petroleum jelly on a Q-tip, and packed in some JB Weld "Water Weld" epoxy putty. I pressed the brackets onto the putty, and cleaned up the extra that oozed out.
That putty sticks so well to the steel that it might be enough to hold for some people's landings, but certainly not enough for mine!
When hardened, I pulled the brackets out of their sockets, cleaned them up, and drilled a screw hole through, to hold them in place.
These, and the rear brackets will be the weak point in a badddd landing. I didn't use the ones with the heaviest gauge steel, and the screws holding them in place are only as strong as the rather thin plastic that they are screwed into.
The included axles weren't long enough to accommodate my Kavans, so I cut up a nail that was the perfect diameter. The head of the nail saves having to use a retaining collar!
I left the crosshatch pattern on the head of the nail for a laugh.

I can't wait till it warms up enough to test the new gear.
Last edited by doug.wagner; Mar 26, 2016 at 06:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 26, 2016, 04:43 PM
Genius.
Mar 26, 2016, 05:46 PM
mkpatrick

Rudder/tailwheel damage

So I got into the rough on a crosswind landing and the tail wheel tore off of the rudder.

It is now hanging from the control rod still attached to part of the rudder.

What is a recommended fix for this?
Gluing the part back onto the rudder sounds like another failure soon to happen?
Thanks for any help,
M
Mar 26, 2016, 06:17 PM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
My tailwheel broke early on. I made a plywood mount plate, and bolted in a Dubro tailwheel. I used a .60 scale assembly, but I think the .40 would look better. I thought I had a pic on my phone, but I dont. Will post when I get home.
Latest blog entry: From the CC Paint Shop
Mar 26, 2016, 06:21 PM
Curious as to the throws people are using, the reccomended seem to be for 3D type stuff, I'm more into scale type flying and towing gliders.

Was able to borrow some packs so should maiden tomorrow if the rain holds off

Dave
Mar 26, 2016, 06:25 PM
mkpatrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy
My tailwheel broke early on. I made a plywood mount plate, and bolted in a Dubro tailwheel. I used a .60 scale assembly, but I think the .40 would look better. I thought I had a pic on my phone, but I dont. Will post when I get home.
Did you glue on the plywood mount?
You attached the mount to the fuselage? Like a Sullivan tail wheel?
Mar 26, 2016, 06:29 PM
→ 404 Not Found
Nice work on the Hangar 9 LG Doug! Think it looks great, post some pictures when you have it standing on those wheels.

The weight (352 gram it was if I'm correct?) will probably keep me from doing this however. Did you measure the weight of the complete stock gear? Maybe the exra weight aint that bad at all?
Mar 26, 2016, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpatrick
Did you glue on the plywood mount?
You attached the mount to the fuselage? Like a Sullivan tail wheel?
Yes. Plywood mount plate with blind nuts to the fuselage. I put some dowels through the wood plate and spiked into the foam, so it's not just the flat suave of the plate on the foam surface. I milled awayy a flat spot in the foam, so the plate would sit flush.
Mar 26, 2016, 06:41 PM
mkpatrick
Quote:
Yes. Plywood mount plate with blind nuts to the fuselage. I put some dowels through the wood plate and spiked into the foam, so it's not just the flat suave of the plate on the foam surface. I milled awayy a flat spot in the foam, so the plate would sit flush.
Upon further inspection, that plastic piece right at the rear of the fuselage, looks like something I could drill into and use self tapping screws to mount the tail wheel mount to.
You must have mounted the plywood forward on the fuselage of that plastic piece?
Mar 26, 2016, 06:42 PM
No. I took away the plastic plate. Too flimsy. Would not trust that. Ply plate system is bullet proof. I used a wheel collar to add a parallel pushrod going to the wheel for steering.
Mar 26, 2016, 06:43 PM
mkpatrick
Quote:
No. I took away the plastic plate. Too flimsy. Would not trust that. Ply plate system is bullet proof.
OK, I see. So pry that plastic piece away and replace with plywood. I have some 1/8th beech plywood.
Mar 26, 2016, 06:47 PM
I can't remember if I popped it off, or just milled the bottom off with a Dremel. Pics will tell all. I get off work in about 3 hrs.
Mar 26, 2016, 06:49 PM
mkpatrick
Quote:
I can't remember if I popped it off, or just milled the bottom off with a Dremel. Pics will tell all. I get off work in about 3 hrs.
I'm off to the LHS to pick up a .40 sized Sullivan wheel.
Thanks for the help,
M
Mar 26, 2016, 06:59 PM
I can fix that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justapoke
Nice work on the Hangar 9 LG Doug! Think it looks great, post some pictures when you have it standing on those wheels.

The weight (352 gram it was if I'm correct?) will probably keep me from doing this however. Did you measure the weight of the complete stock gear? Maybe the exra weight aint that bad at all?
Thanks Poke!
The stock gear when piled on the scales came to 147 gr.
That's a 205 gr increase, but using the Kavans, saves 122 gr over the stock wheels, so the new setup is only 83 gr heavier than the stock setup.
More than worth it to me!
Mar 26, 2016, 08:51 PM
FM
FM
No Static
Great job doug....looks great!

Quick Reply