Aug 01, 2021, 09:03 PM
I tore apart my MXS-C a year or so ago because the foam was pretty floppy but also the Welders wasn't holding up. It had yellowed (personally I don't care if it turns an ugly color) but it also became very brittle and was chipping, cracking, and the plane was falling apart. I pulled the electronics and have an Extra Slick in a box to put together when I get the chance to do so. I'll be using Foam Tac on the Extra Slick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinstraightup
Dave, I need to try the Foam Tac.
What's your favorite place to get it?
Foam Tac works well but don't get the large bottle unless you plan to use it fairly quickly. It cures in the bottle if it sits unused too long.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 01, 2021, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128
Foam Tac works well but don't get the large bottle unless you plan to use it fairly quickly. It cures in the bottle if it sits unused too long.
a flying buddy of mine had the same issue and basically revitalized the Foam Tac by slowly adding in acetone that he 'borrowed' from his wife's/daughters' nail finishing box. might consider giving that a try, but just test the glue again on foam because the acetone can eat some foam if used in excess.
-beanie
Aug 01, 2021, 11:40 PM
Foam cure is still my preferred go to glue for foamies. Nothing beats it
Aug 02, 2021, 12:49 AM
Pro Bro 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinstraightup
Dave, I need to try the Foam Tac.
What's your favorite place to get it?
I've still got a 2 ounce bottle of Foam Tac that was purchased in early February 2018, and it's still about half full, and it's still usable. After briefly trying the screw on spout, I quickly gave up on it and instead just use popsicle sticks, bamboo skewers, or toothpicks dipped into the bottle to apply the glue. That way the lid is always screwed on tight and the solvents haven't evaporated enough to harden the glue in the bottle.

I recently got a six pack of Foam Tac in small squeeze tubes from ebay. These are way easier to work with for small or precise repairs. Since each tube is sealed and needs to be punctured before use, the six pack should last a long time. Right now I'm using one of these tubes to repair my Revolto flying stab.

Here's a link to an ebay search for Foam Tac. The 2 ounce bottle and the six pack of mini tubes are listed there, plus some 1 ounce tubes that I haven't tried yet.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...m+tac&_sacat=0
Aug 02, 2021, 06:07 AM
FlyLikeAnEagle-LandLikeADove
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128
I tore apart my MXS-C a year or so ago because the foam was pretty floppy but also the Welders wasn't holding up. It had yellowed (personally I don't care if it turns an ugly color) but it also became very brittle and was chipping, cracking, and the plane was falling apart. I pulled the electronics and have an Extra Slick in a box to put together when I get the chance to do so. I'll be using Foam Tac on the Extra Slick.

I built a Crack Wing with Welders a few years ago and the Welders also turned to yellow dust and parts just fell apart. I have switched to Foam Tac. I order a bottle from TH with each plane. It does go bad after a while. The little tubes are OK for repairs.

I think TH should no longer recommend Welders as an option.

Welders reminds me of 3M fiber reinforced packing tape. I used to use lot of that on EPO models to protect wing LE or other parts. The adhesive on that tape turns to yellow dust in a few years.
Aug 02, 2021, 10:19 AM
We do try hard to give what our customers want. Personally i do not use welders and share this with all customers, though we have customer that actually request and enjoy welders more so than Beacon foam tac. At times its hard to please everyone.
Aug 02, 2021, 11:34 AM
Indeed. I have a buddy who feels Foam Tac is too stringy and likes Welders. I used to like Welders. It is less expensive and it doesn't harden up in the tube is quickly. Perhaps it disintegrated quicker on my Crack Wing because that plane was stored in the garage near a window which gets hotter and gets more sun uv. In any case, I just order a new Foam Tac with each plane now.
Aug 02, 2021, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder
Indeed. I have a buddy who feels Foam Tac is too stringy and likes Welders. I used to like Welders. It is less expensive and it doesn't harden up in the tube is quickly. Perhaps it disintegrated quicker on my Crack Wing because that plane was stored in the garage near a window which gets hotter and gets more sun uv. In any case, I just order a new Foam Tac with each plane now.
How long did it take for the yellowing and disintegrating? I built my MXS-C in June of 2014 and it was pretty much toast during the summer of last year, so about 6 years. It got flown more than any other plane I own, probably 4 or 5 hundred flights. I did not keep it in my garage, it was kept in my office / spare bedroom, hung on the wall, and the blinds are always drawn in that room so very little UV exposure.

Welder's is probably just fine for most people. Even with hundreds of "ground interventions" it never got damaged to the point where I couldn't fix it quickly and get it back flying, but I flew it light and mostly slower trying (unsuccessfully) to wrap my head & fingers around 3D flying. If abused, I bet the airframe gives up the ghost quicker than the Welders will go. I guess it depends on the operator
Aug 02, 2021, 03:11 PM
I'd say 4 years and the Welders was yellow and starting to crumble especially on thing joints and hinge repairs. I have used Welders and several other more recent planes built last year and have seen no evidence of this yet. My guess is it dries out over time and the thinner the part glued and hotter it is the quicker it happens.
Aug 02, 2021, 05:11 PM
Pro Bro 415
At first I really liked the Welder glue. But on some of my foamie planes it turned yellow after only a year, and brittle after only a couple of years. On all of my foamies that used Welder, the glue has now turned yellow. With a few exceptions, the older the plane, the more brittle the Welder glue joint has become.

I've only been using Foam Tac for about 2 1/2 years, but so far I haven't seen any evidence of it turning color or getting brittle. However most of my EPP foamie builds are now done with a low temp hot glue gun. It's quick, light when used sparingly, and can be re-melted to make adjustments or to disassemble parts. The sticky glues like Foam Tac are really only used for areas where the hot glue would get too cold before the parts could be assembled, such as wing spars. Control horns are also installed with sticky glue (Foam Tac, Welder, Quik Grip, etc). (And now you know why I still have half of the 2 ounce bottle of Foam Tac left after 2 1/2 years.)
Aug 02, 2021, 05:53 PM
House of Paine
If your Twisted planes outlast Welders you're not flying them hard enough I've used Welders for years and just dealt with the hardening/yellowing... Trying quick grip now per recommendation.

Was just flying my newest ( a still pristine Slick superlight using mostly CA on build) this last weekend and was commenting to a buddy how much better they fly before all the extra glue is added from repairs We probably should not chase each other in the air so much
Aug 03, 2021, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McDonald

Here's a link to an ebay search for Foam Tac. The 2 ounce bottle and the six pack of mini tubes are listed there, plus some 1 ounce tubes that I haven't tried yet.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...m+tac&_sacat=0
Thanks Dave, I'll get some.
Aug 04, 2021, 06:27 PM
Foam Tac is in short supply this side of the Pond for some reason. I just last week ordered the 6 pack and they work quite well, the content is the same as the normal size tube and the price is on par so no getting ripped off which is good. I used to order the big bottle but the contents don't do well as I ended up wasting at least a quarter of the bottle. These days I use 50% Foam Tac and 50% UHU Por when building with some CA when needed.
Aug 12, 2021, 09:21 AM
I just got out my CTB I built late last fall and stored indoors. The Welders under all the Blenderm tape was already yellow.

BTW, my CTB is not as easy to hover as other TH 32" planes as it pulls pretty strongly to the canopy. Is this normal? Any suggestions?
Aug 12, 2021, 09:39 AM
Totally Twisted
It's too late to change the glue, but Welders has a reputation for turning yellow. I use FoamTac with great results. Never had an issue with tape turning yellow--did you use Welders in combination with the tape?

As for hovering, how does your elevator trim look? If your CG is nose heavy you would need to add up elevator for level flight. That same up trim would cause it to pull to the canopy while hovering. Also, if you can imagine the longitudinal axis(from the prop to tail) the weight of the wing is well above that axis, so it will tend to lean that direction.

Quick Reply