Feb 12, 2004, 06:49 PM
---------Speed!!---------

Axi primary belt drive for Corona -Beta test-

Hello fellow Coron-addicts!

Well, I have been experimenting with a primary belt drive for use with the Axi 28 20 10 motor. This is a 4 to 1 ratio primary belt drive designed for ultra high torque Axi motor on 3 cell lithiums.

I have tried numerous setups and have been plagued with belt skipping issues due to the extremely high torque of the Axi on lithiums.

I finally settled on this setup. It is an XL belt (nearly every belt drive for small electric helis are MXL). The XL belt (though a bit clunky looking) has much more tooth depth and, therefore, less skip tendency.

This thing runs SOOO smooth and quiet. The torque curve is great as well.

I am making two of these belt kits available as betas to those who would like to try it out. The belt kits are free, however, you must buy the motor. I can sell you one (I have one extra, brand new motor) or you can purchase your own motor (Axi 28 20 10).

The only request I have is that those who recieve them must be serious about using the belt drive and that they post their findings here on the board within a reasonably short period of time. I am doing this to work out any bugs the system may have, so I am hopeful to get some good feedback on it!

Thanks Guys!

Matt Shumaker
Ballistic Technology Inc.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2004, 06:51 PM
Here you go!

Remember, the belt kit is free, not the motor. The motor is pictured as a reference.

Matt......
Feb 12, 2004, 06:58 PM
Matt will that motor only work on lithiums.......not on 8 cell hr 2600 nimh packs
Feb 12, 2004, 07:00 PM
Good question. Out runners are much more efficient on higher voltages. This motor has BIG power on 3 cell lithiums. 8 cells would be fine. 9 cells would be perfect.

Matt....
Feb 12, 2004, 07:02 PM
How much for the Motor...?
Feb 12, 2004, 07:34 PM
The motor is $100.00.

You can find them for a few bucks less if you shop around. Venture Hobbies carries them for (I think) $94.00 plus shipping.
Their number is (847) 537-8669. Ask for Erik or Brian.

Matt.......
Feb 12, 2004, 07:51 PM
Is a CC35 a big enough ESC for that motor/setup? I suspect it is probably borderline at best with the high torques.

George
Feb 12, 2004, 08:00 PM
Hobby Lobby has a Jeti 40 for $94....
Feb 12, 2004, 08:28 PM
A 35 would be fine. It draws roughly 30 amps under normal full throttle, 34 to 35 max.

Matt.....
Feb 12, 2004, 08:39 PM
Does your Corona really require that big an AXI? What kind of weight are we trying to lift? Or is it a problem of a matching Kv?

I've got a 2820/10 in a 70 ounce converted Slowpoke plank which it motors along quite well. I'm surprised the Corona takes that much.

Hank
Feb 12, 2004, 08:53 PM
The 28 20 10 is a 280 watt motor. A Hacker is (I believe) 284 watts. You could go with a smaller motor. But, I have found heat build up to be a bit of an issue with smaller outrunners.

The biggest issue for me is performance. Matching KV is the next reason.

Matt........
Feb 12, 2004, 09:26 PM
Matt,
I would love to test this out for you but I'm a new flyer and I'm just now starting to transition to FF. I don't think I could test the system as well as someone with better flying skills.

Is the main shaft pulley sized to fit a 5mm shaft?

George
Last edited by SouthPaw; Feb 12, 2004 at 09:31 PM.
Feb 12, 2004, 09:35 PM
It doesn't matter. The pulley has a 1/4" ID. I will be including a bore reducer to step it down to the proper diameter. 4mm or 5mm, no big thing!

Matt......