BBCC 3 - 48" Hawker Tempest Mk-1 - Old_Pilot - RC Groups
Sep 03, 2013, 12:56 PM
Ad eos qui nesciunt crepitus
Build Log

BBCC 3 - 48" Hawker Tempest Mk-1 - Old_Pilot

My entry for the BBCC 3 is a 48" Hawker Tempest Mk-1 (Based on the 1944 Fighter Glider). I'm adding a power plant and undercarriage. Working on the drawings now.

O_P

For all you guys that want a look at the "as-built" drawings, and don't want to page through this mess, they're up on OuterZone......Hawker Tempest Mk-1
Last edited by Old_Pilot; Jan 31, 2014 at 02:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 03, 2013, 01:12 PM

Hawker Tempest Mk-1

Tempest Mk I : Prototype fitted with the Napier Sabre IV piston engine with oil coolers and radiators placed in the wing to reduce drag, one aircraft.

From Wiki:

The new design was finalised by October 1941 and the Air Ministry issued specification F.10/41 that had been written to fit the aircraft. A contract for two prototypes of the "Typhoon Mark II" was issued in November, and the new fighter was renamed "Tempest" in January 1942.[2] The problems experienced with delivery of engines finally led the Air Ministry to ask for six prototypes with different engines so that if a delay hit one engine an alternative would be available. This resulted in a single Mk.I, HM599, with a Sabre IV, two Mk.IIs (LA602 and LA607) with the Centaurus IV, a Mk.III (LA610) with a Griffon IIB, a Mk.IV (LA614) with a Griffon 61, and the Mk.V (HM595) with the Sabre II.[9]

First prototype Tempest II LA602, again with the small tail unit.
The first Tempest prototype, the Mark V HM595, was first flown by Philip Lucas from Langley on 2 September 1942. This aircraft retained the Typhoon's framed canopy, car-style door, powered by a Sabre II engine, and fitted with the "chin" radiator, similar to that of the Typhoon. It was quickly fitted with the same bubble canopy fitted to Typhoons, and a modified fin that almost doubled the vertical tail surface area. The horizontal tailplanes and elevators were also increased in span and chord (these were also fitted to late production Typhoons.)

Test pilots found the Tempest a great improvement over the Typhoon in performance; in February 1943 the pilots from the A&AEE at Boscombe Down reported that they were impressed by "a manoeuvrable and pleasant aircraft to fly with no major handling faults". The Air Ministry had already ordered 400 Tempests in August but production of the new Sabre IV engine ran into protracted problems and delays. The second prototype, the "Tempest Mark I" with the Sabre IV did not fly until 24 February 1943. This prototype also had at first the older Typhoon cockpit structure and vertical tailplane. Elimination of the "chin" radiator did much to improve performance and the Tempest Mark I was the fastest aircraft Hawker had built to that time, attaining a speed of 466 mph (750 km/h).Continual problems with the Sabre IV meant that only one Mark I (HM599) was built; consequently, Hawker went into production with the Sabre II engined "Tempest V", with the first rolling off the production line on 21 June 1943.
Last edited by Old_Pilot; Sep 03, 2013 at 01:17 PM.
Sep 03, 2013, 01:42 PM

Pic's of a 1/32 static Tempest Mk-1

Found these on the web
Latest blog entry: Progress
Sep 03, 2013, 08:21 PM

Some drawings of the Mk-1 and others

Found these too
Sep 03, 2013, 09:17 PM
Scale Builder
Excellent choice of subject O_P. There are a number of the Hawker prototype one-offs that are very interesting subjects and I am a huge fan of the prototype paint schemes. Maybe it's because I can see Yellow better than just about any other color! Looking forward to your build.
Sep 03, 2013, 11:11 PM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
The Tempest is a nice plane. I like the Typhoon a lot too. That big cowling can hold a lot of equipment. Nice plans also. So many planes and so little time.
**Neons** Bob
Sep 04, 2013, 06:52 AM

Tempest Mk-1 Design Notes

Preliminary numbers.....

Estimated hardware weight: ~ 16 oz
Estimated Aircraft weight: ~12 oz
Wing Area: ~ 370 sq in (2.57 sq ft)
Wing Loading: ~ 11 oz/sq ft.

It looks like I'm going to have to look for very high strength, very low density building materials...commonly called "Nonexistium", which is one element past "Unobtainium" on the periodic table.

So far, I've increased the dihedral a bit, reduced the cross-section of the fuselage, and will probably increase the chord and span....Looking at a PW51 airfoil.

Haven't run the Tail Volumn/MAC calc's yet, so all this might change a bit

Considering making the wing in one piece and cut the fuselage keel to fit the top of the airfoil.

Since this is my first electric powered aircraft, will cooling vents be required ?

**neons* Bob.......How much do you charge for hangar space rent ?
Sep 04, 2013, 09:38 AM
OP,
I would say my space is almost full here. It is a garage loaded with 4 MCycles, a big 50's car, 50+ planes hanging, and 2 lathes and welding equip in there. It looks like a big boys toy room there. I am almost constricted to build more planes now. My tiny build slab is still there but hard to move around now. I snuck my 1/4 scale Neiuport 28 upstairs until this next build season so I can finish her. I also have a closet full of planes up there also. Wow! Looks like you are out off luck renting space. I still have my 61' wing CL stunter Hein Tony hanging on the wall. The plane was scratch built in a cellar right after I got married. It has an old Barker 60 in it from 1945. The plane flew nice.
**Neons** Bob
Sep 04, 2013, 08:30 PM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4
Cooling... I always plan on air moving through the fuselage, past the motor and over the ESC and battery but, unless you fly in 85F and over, you probably will have more than enough cooling with about two postage stamps equivalents of clear area in each former forward of the electronics and out the bird. I usually make the rudder & elevator push rod exit slots slightly oversize so the total area is about one postage stamp and perhaps cut the covering away for one triangle at the aft-bottom end.
Sep 05, 2013, 06:22 AM

Cooling and other considerations

Thanks David.....

Here's what I plan to do:

The fuselage forward of the "firewall" becomes a cowling with front completely open, for two reasons. One, motor access; two, inlet cooling air. Couldn't figure out a good way to use the Mk-1's wing shoulder radiators for inlet air. They'll just be window dressing.

Firewall has vent holes drilled between engine mounting holes at 45 deg opposed. The rest of the bulkheads will be open in the center.

I'll use the push rod exits and tail wheel opening for "exhaust" air.

Thanks again
Sep 06, 2013, 09:34 AM

Preliminary 3-view

First blush at the 3-view.....and the finished aircraft.so y'all don't have to page through to see the finished bird
Last edited by Old_Pilot; Dec 09, 2013 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Before and after
Sep 06, 2013, 09:46 AM

Mk-1 Fuselage

Question:

It looks to me like the cross-sections of the Mk-1's fuselage have a radiused
top and bottom with straight sides at the tangents. The pictures of the 1/32
static Mk-1 suggest this former.

See attached......Mk-1 is in the upper let hand corner

Fighter Glider had elliptical formers. The pictures of the 1943 prototype Mk-1 suggest an
elliptical former....

Or are they a cross between the radiused upper half and an elliptical bottom half.....kinda like a P-47 thunderbolt.

Other variants of the Tempest show circular cross sections......

Anyone know which is which ? Any guidance would be appreciated.

O_P
Last edited by Old_Pilot; Sep 06, 2013 at 03:10 PM.
Sep 06, 2013, 06:48 PM
Great looking plane. It sure has plenty of formers. It should keep you busy for some time. The finish plane will look good. There is plenty of wing area also.
**Neons** Bob
Sep 06, 2013, 09:26 PM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4
There are some scale views here.

They vote for an oval aft fuselage cross-section. Here's a Mk 2, for example:

Sep 12, 2013, 06:53 AM

First iteration of the drawings

Here's the first pass at the drawings