Feb 11, 2004, 10:50 PM
Thread OP

K&A Parkflyer MIG

Well, here she is. Coming along, slowly but surely. First time building a kit of this type. I've never glassed before, but found it easier than I thought it would be.

I plan to run it with a Mega 16/15/3 with either a wattage fan or a vasa 65 fan. I was planning to run 10-cell kan 1050 packs but now I'm thinking of going with irate 3s 1800mAh packs (good for 18 amps). I'd rather go with the lipos but I'm concerned if I'll be able to balance the plane with the lipos (~3.6 oz vs. 8oz). Any one build one of these and use lipos?

Also, does anyone have any tips (and more importantly, pics) of how to exactly assemble the rear hort. stab? I've read the instructions a few times but I'm still unclear on a few things. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

hk
to remove ads between posts
Feb 11, 2004, 11:11 PM
I don't know how much response you may have on this thread as I have tried to search for build threads on this model before, but I will definitely follow it if you will post build pics/setup/flight report as this is a model I have been wanting to try. If it helps any, I have heard that K&A is good about answering any questions on the phone....good luck....looking forward to watching your progress....
Feb 12, 2004, 04:03 PM
try here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...g&pagenumber=1

Perhaps RocketRob will check in ...his has LiPos.

FWIW I'm thinking of going the 3s1p LiPo route too in my F-86 ...that is if I can ever find time to finish it
Feb 12, 2004, 09:22 PM
Cant fly enough
I have a Mig 15 and will start building soon, so I too am interested. The problem with the thread is that while it starts out talking about the park flyer Mig, I think some of the discussion is about the larger version K&A offers.

Keep us posted on the progress.

By the way, what did you glass with?

Greg
Feb 12, 2004, 11:16 PM
Thread OP
RickG,

I've read through that thread before. Some good info but not a whole lot on what I'm looking for. Those lipos RocketRob used are bigger and heavier than what I plan to use. Also, the way he has it installed will be quite different than how I would like it done (single 3S pack under the canopy hatch).

Greg,

After MUCH research, I ended up using the method outlined by Jim Ryan (creator of Ryan warbird kits) which is a mix of finishing epoxy and denatured thinner. Now, this was the first time I've ever glassed anything and I must admit it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. The wings came out very light with a nice thin hard shell.

hk
Feb 13, 2004, 12:29 AM
Cant fly enough
Hyperknight, I have seen Jim Ryan's stuff (along with your own postings). The problem is, I am really allergic to epoxy after bathing for years in diesel fuel. I was wondering if anyone had tried using polycrylic on balsa sheeted foam core wings.

Thanks

Greg
Feb 13, 2004, 12:52 AM
Lithium Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Beshouri
... I was wondering if anyone had tried using polycrylic on balsa sheeted foam core wings. Thanks Greg
Yes, I tried it, it works well. Not as strong as epoxy but easier to apply and lighter:

http://rcgroups.com/gallery/showphot...cat=509&page=1

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...lic+policrylic

On the K&A one the lighter the better. I would have used silkspan & polycrylic or wbpu myself.
Feb 13, 2004, 01:37 AM
Ken of K&A Models is down at the MWE in San Diego from this Friday through Sunday - you could always shoot down there and ask him personally - he's going to have a couple of migs flying there - not to mention all the other activity going on ...
Feb 13, 2004, 11:20 AM
You could also use Ultracoat Lite film on the wings (the clear version) and paint it. I did this on my balsa A-10, and it looked great and was easier than glassing. The stuff really shrinks about compound curves if you can get two hands on it and pull, much more so than monokote. I didn't even scuff it with steel wool first (I was in a hurry), just cleaned it with windex. I did pull some paint off with masking tape, so scuffing would have been a good idea, but if not masking anything it's fine.
Feb 13, 2004, 11:21 AM
Cant fly enough
Herb, thanks for the links. I have read many of your posts and enjoyed your Mig patrol videos. I am regularly down in Southern California and hope to see you guys fly one of these days. It looks like you guys fly near the OCSD Wastewater Treatment plant on PCH, one of our clients.

Now for the dumb quesitons. I presume I can get silkspan from a hobby ship. What is wbpu?

Gregory, had I known I might have gone. What is the MWE?

Thanks for the help

Greg
Feb 13, 2004, 01:30 PM
Thread OP
Greg,

I'm sure you can get silkspan from a LHS but I never looked myself.

WBPU is Water Based Polyurethane. I thought about using this method instead but I read the water can warp the balsa sheeting if not careful. Being this was going to be my first attempt at glassing, I did not want to take the chance. There is also Lacquer Based Polyurethane which is supposed to be as good as epoxy (hard shell finish) without the risk of warping balsa and very easy to apply like WBPU, but I read the fumes are toxic so I decided against using it.

hk
Feb 18, 2004, 11:52 PM

I'm in the same spot

Hyperknight,

Funny, I'm stuck on the same part. I haven't touched mine in a couple of months, so I'd appreciate seeing how the tail goes on as well.

Strega
Feb 19, 2004, 01:31 AM
Thread OP
Strega,

Your MIG looks great! What are you going to use for a power source? Battery?

I should be ready to tackle the stab this weekend. I'll try to take some pics as I attempt to install the stab.

hk
Feb 19, 2004, 06:55 PM

Power

HK,

We must think a like because the power I chose was the 16/15/3 with the Vasa. I already have 10 cell Kan 950s and Hecell 1100s. The Kans should perform a bit better.

LiPos are probably the best choice, but I would have to buy yet another charger and more batteries. This project has already cost me enough. <g>

Strega
Aug 21, 2005, 10:04 PM
Cant fly enough
Hyperknight, Stregaracer007 or Herb, do you have any pictures of the installation of the full flying stab on the parkflyer Mig?

Thanks

Greg

Quick Reply