Dec 14, 2018, 09:10 AM
dol
dol
Hi Paul,

Actually, I think the standard RC connectors do fit through the ring... but I can't remember for sure. I think I ended up taking the connectors off for something else so that the connector fitting may have become a moot point. Honestly, I can't remember. I do seem to recall that even though the connector fit through, once you had a couple wraps the space became considerably tighter and it was better to have them off anyway. It's pretty easy to do, just take your time and label the wires well before disconnecting.

Man, thanks for the heads up on the micro vs. mini HDMI. I've been thinking about renting a 6300 or 6500 for testing, I wouldn't have been able to do a thing with my current connectors. Can you send me some links for what you are using?

I don't know about you, but I'm finding it really hard to find parts to keep this thing in the air. Where do all these pro guys do their shopping for these connectors and such? It's like a secret society!

I don't know what to suggest with your video issues, it sounds like you're narrowing down the problem though. If I remember correctly you are flying out in the desert right? Do you fly beyond line of sight? It sounds like you have a connector issue, and perhaps rewiring or rerouting your wires on the upper deck might be advantageous in cutting down the noise. I try to keep my VTX lines as far away from higher voltage and really any other power lines as much as possible. If you are seeing a change when moving wires around, you may have a bad connection somewhere. Maybe a nicked wire as you mentions or a poor connection. As distances increase and the VTX's efficiency becomes tested, a constriction in information flow could be part of the problem...?

I have some pictures of my upper deck layout, if I can find one I'll post it here.

The fact that the little FPV cam works would indicate an HDMI issue. There is one company I found a while back that sold all the components to make your own flexible hdmi connectors. I'll try and find that companies link.

I wonder if these birds are coming to the end of their lifespans?

Hey here's a real question for you - Have you had a chance to compare a Mavic Pro (full size) still image with what we are getting with the Sony's? Are we beating our heads against a wall here unnecessarily? lol.

Happy Holidays Paul!

Dennis
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2018, 09:15 AM
dol
dol
https://aerialpixels.com/product-cat...s-accessories/
Dec 14, 2018, 08:53 PM
Power by hearty franks & beans
Quote:
Originally Posted by dol
Hi Paul,

Actually, I think the standard RC connectors do fit through the ring... but I can't remember for sure. I think I ended up taking the connectors off for something else so that the connector fitting may have become a moot point. Honestly, I can't remember. I do seem to recall that even though the connector fit through, once you had a couple wraps the space became considerably tighter and it was better to have them off anyway. It's pretty easy to do, just take your time and label the wires well before disconnecting.
I didn’t know that the power/video/servo-type connectors were so easily removeable, other than cutting the wires and resoldering. Is there an easier way?

Quote:
Man, thanks for the heads up on the micro vs. mini HDMI. I've been thinking about renting a 6300 or 6500 for testing, I wouldn't have been able to do a thing with my current connectors. Can you send me some links for what you are using?
Dennis, I used a vendor in China for HDMI cables, but now some report problems with their cables, therefore I am now looking for a new source.

Quote:
I don't know about you, but I'm finding it really hard to find parts to keep this thing in the air. Where do all these pro guys do their shopping for these connectors and such? It's like a secret society!
Search long and hard to find parts. I remember your earriler comment about needing to keep yours in the air. Same here. I figure we can fabricate arms from square tubing. Broken CF decks are another issue. Buy extra motors and Scorpion bearings. Also Sunnysky or T-Motor (U5) alternate motors (which SunnySkys did you use?. Perhaps get an affordable backup matrix for parts just like classic car owners (and Jeff Foxworthy jokes).

Quote:
I don't know what to suggest with your video issues, it sounds like you're narrowing down the problem though...

I have some pictures of my upper deck layout, if I can find one I'll post it here.
Thanks. I would like to see the way that the components and wires are laid-out. I’m thinking of adjusting my cable routing and slighting raising my upper deck to give a bit extra headspace below.

Quote:
Hey here's a real question for you - Have you had a chance to compare a Mavic Pro (full size) still image with what we are getting with the Sony's? Are we beating our heads against a wall here unnecessarily? lol.

Happy Holidays Paul!
Dennis
The Mavic Pro 2 looks great. I like the larger sensor compared to the zoom. Even the FPV video blows the doors off mine. The issue I face is strong wind, and the Matrix with its weight and powerful motors is a solution for me. I haven’t compared files — I wonder if sample files are available at a review site like Digital Photography Review (DPReview)?

Back your HDMI converter/IR trigger —I see it has fiber optic for the IR is that right? I may get one for backup. Any pointers?

I did a simple repair of the nicked wires using Liquid Tape. Apparently the preferred brand is Performix Liquid Tape and it is carried here by Walmart for $5 in the automotive wiring section. I guess they use it for boat trailer lights.

Happy Holidays Dennis!
Paul
Last edited by pchaplo; Dec 15, 2018 at 10:09 PM.
Dec 19, 2018, 02:23 PM
Power by hearty franks & beans
Dennis.

It looks like there is a micro HDMI version of the converter/shutter release combo board that you use: (note MICRO hdmi for A6000 -- always verify orientation of the 90 degree connector. Some are reversed and I have not verified this one. UPDATE: I attached PDF to show orientation of cable that I use.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FPV-Micro-H...0/352240009508

I have the DJI iOSD MarkII and am working on solving my video problem. I found a bad solder joint in video ground! That solved the intermittant signal problem. I have two cameras: Sony A6000 and a stripped down NTSC fpv cam. I can only get iOSD data overlay with the fpv cam

Can you get camera data (f/stop, shutter speed etc) AND iOSD overlay (distance, altitude, Matrix battery level) BOTH overlapped on the same video feed? Let me know. Im at the bench working to solve this. I really need to be able to see my telemetry while I take pics!

Additionally, I cannot get VTx at all if I only have my A6000 connected.

Thanks,
Paul
Jan 19, 2019, 12:17 PM
dol
dol
Hi Paul, howís it going? Happy New Year.

Just checking in with you. Did you get that micro HDMI converter from Hobby King and how does it work? I think that new Sony coming out looks like it may be a winner. The A6400 I think. Iím going to keep my eye on it and watch the previous model prices as well. But the question is whether that converter will work with them.

Meanwhile I raised my upper deck to 25mm rather than 20 and got some of the cheap props from Hobby King - $15/pair. The deck raising is one of the best moves I made in a while. It just makes more room for everything and the top deck gives plenty of space for the FC. I was also able to move my voltage converter under the top deck where before it rode out on the forward starboard arm platform. I bought a bag of 50x - 25mm standoffs and the upper deck requires 6 (not counting the gimbal mounts - which should be stainless). So if you want to do this let me know and Iíll send you a batch of them.

I tested the cheap props in my backyard and although the flying was pretty limited they seemed to work great although on the first flight I had a pretty bad vibration for the first minute and then it dissipated. Very unusual and slightly troublesome to tell you the truth. I didnít see the vibration on my monitor as the flight space is very tight with trees and I need to keep my eye on the Matrix, but I heard a whirring noise for about the same amount of time which Iím concerned may have been a motor bearing.

The TA motors have a tendency to separate at the base of the shaft. Which is why Iíd like to swap motors eventually, but once again the viability (cost) of keeping this thing flying compared to everything else available out there, is a balancing act. Although I do have four Sunnysky motors standing by... but Iím kinda lazy (lol) and uncertain of the durability of those motors.

Iím also trying to fly more without GPS and line of sight, in ATT mode. Itís fun but nearly every flight I get confused at least once when flying towards myself... and Iím seldom two mistakes high, lol. I should really practice LOS with something more durable, ha.

Cheers buddy.

d
Jun 02, 2019, 11:52 AM
dol
dol
Is that it? Am I the lone survivor here, lol?

She's still flying and working. Cheers guys.

d
Jul 06, 2019, 03:56 AM
SVTHotchkiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by dol
Is that it? Am I the lone survivor here, lol?

She's still flying and working. Cheers guys.

d
I poke my nose in here from time to time. Unfortunately haven't flown the big birds for about a year now since I've been so busy with school and the family. Hopefully will get them up in the air again this summer!
Oct 30, 2019, 03:18 AM
what happened to turboace.com is the company out of business ? I can't find any info and I need to buy some parts
Nov 01, 2019, 07:30 AM
SVTHotchkiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoncio
what happened to turboace.com is the company out of business ? I can't find any info and I need to buy some parts
I haven't gone to the site myself in a long time.. could it possibly be due to all the fires in California right now? That would suck if they were no longer around.
Nov 20, 2019, 08:54 AM
dol
dol
Hi Guys, I have been wondering as well. I'll try giving them a call. Will advise.
Nov 20, 2019, 08:55 AM
dol
dol
Still flying and working beautifully, btw.
Nov 29, 2019, 10:46 PM
Mines still working but a screw fell out of one of the ACE motors
It's the screw that attaches the motor to the aluminum square bar/leg, anyone aware of the type/size of screw?
Thx
Dec 10, 2019, 10:39 AM
SVTHotchkiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by innit
Mines still working but a screw fell out of one of the ACE motors
It's the screw that attaches the motor to the aluminum square bar/leg, anyone aware of the type/size of screw?
Thx
Pretty sure they are M3 screws.. not sure what the length is.. probably 4-6mm.
Dec 10, 2019, 10:43 AM
SVTHotchkiss
Wowhobbies.com and turboace.com are still down/inaccessible. I would have to guess that they are no longer around. Not to surprising with all the high end drones you can buy off the shelf these days. Also, they never came up with new frames like some other companies have for high end commerical purposes.

Sometime in the new year I think I will reverse engineer the plates for the body and legs so I can laser cut replacements when needed. Unless anyone knows of any cad files kicking around the web??
Jan 19, 2020, 06:19 AM

Here is a primer about cleaning and lubricating sealed bearings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin T
Here is a primer about cleaning and lubricating sealed bearings.

http://bonesbearings.com/support/maintenance/

Since we are in the air they shouldn't get as dirty as a ground based wheel.

Here is an article about the RPM's to failure for skateboard bearings. It would seem that our quads do not see quite the extremes that skateboards do.

https://www.ahrinternational.com/Ska...d_bearings.htm

It looks like the motors are about 6400 RPM's at max power, which is not all that often. See bottom spec on attached image. This gives me a bit of relief about cleaning and re lubricating them and also a good feeling about trying ceramics at some point.
Thanks For sharing the block sourch. Check the latest updated blog about how to clean longboard bearings. Thanks

Quick Reply