Aug 28, 2013, 05:27 AM
Thread OP
Question

Boat building from scratch

Hey
i know you probably get a lot of these questions and i have looked around on this forum for help but to no avail.
I want to build a wood boat from scratch, its my first RC boat and the reason i dont want to go out and buy one is because this is as much about the experience of building it as it is for the thrill of using it. My plans are as simple as you can get (pretty much a rectangle with a pointed bow) but i have a bit of trouble with the electronics. i know what i need (transmitter, reciever, ESC, rudder servo,rudder ,engine, battery) but as for what type, make, power, voltage ect also what works with what. My biggest facor is it has to be cheap. (im only 15) also i have an rc helicopter thats had a traumatic life and is now a mere reminder of my childhood but i was wondering if i could use its controller for this? everything is stock so i dont know if i can shange the freq but if i could that would save me a lot of money until i get a good controller (its from the LAMA S-003) any help would be much appreciated

Additional info: I want it to be fast and agile. i have found a twin rudder system on ebay that i like the look of. i know i need a small prop with a fast rpm but i dont know what engines would be good for that.

-I live in Australia/Vic/Melbourne. so if you could direct me to any good hobby shops in that area that would be great ( i already know of a few)

- the only place i know that i could use it would be the bay (port phillip bay) and maybe a lake around my house if i can find one. so it would have to be big enough to not capsize from small waves (whats a good length/width?)

Sorry for the really song post but i hope you can help me. i have alway loved boats and have wanted to build my own for a long time. Thank you
to remove ads between posts
Aug 28, 2013, 05:51 AM
Don't know why everyone thinks "Design" is so simple that a few strokes of a pencil or lines on a monitor give instant success?

You obviously know about hull profiles and displacement Sam? No? OK, a more reasoned and rewarding way is to use an existing design. A rectangular box with a pointy front ain't gonna cook it.

Lots of FREE plans on this site, tight for funds for materials? One cheapskate in this section of the forum isn't using wood even and when wound up, his boat is going to be seriously fast.

Whilst your enthusiasm is to be applauded, walk and run spring to mind.

Regards Ian.
Aug 28, 2013, 12:12 PM
Submarine or Target?
I believe Circlip may have been referring to this "new foam boat build" thread https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1956082 which might be very useful to you due to the low cost.

Another idea that would make your first hull design easier might be to try an air boat (sometimes called a fan boat or swamp boat). I realize that's a bit different from a traditional boat design. But it can be very simple to build - basically a block with the bow curving down to the bottom and a few strakes on the bottom to help it track straight. It doesn't even require the compound curves of the pointy bow. This could easily be built with foam board. It would be extremely light and could be powered by a small motor/propellor and battery like an aircraft. I'm considering building a simple one for myself.

I'm new to the RC hobby myself. I believe I have read something about plane radios and boat (surface) radios needing to be on different frequencies for some reason. Someone else needs to chime in and set the record straight on that. But functionally, your helicopter radio gear should work for the boat. Maybe, if it's the newer 2.4ghz style it won't matter. Again, wait for the experienced people to clear that up.

Keep searching and thinking and dreaming. There are a lot of free resources around. Most hobbies I've been involved with can be as expensive or cheap as you want them to be. It just takes patience and self control to stay on the cheap end.
Aug 28, 2013, 12:53 PM
Submarine or Target?
I just found this while googling for airboat plans.

Scratch Built RC Airboat (5 min 52 sec)

But this is what I think I'll build. http://www.mundrys.de/Modellbau/Boot...pfgleiter.html All I have to do is get the plans translated.
Last edited by ericbphoto; Aug 28, 2013 at 02:04 PM.
Aug 28, 2013, 01:01 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Hi Sam,

Build a WASABI from (free) plans first to gain some insight in what is a good design.

Regards, Jan.
Aug 28, 2013, 02:58 PM
what about a springer tug guys, very simple and looks to be fun to build.
basla or plywood so cheap, not many tools required and minimal hobby knowledge.
brushed esc, battery, servo, and a cheap silver can 27turn 540 motor

Paul
Aug 28, 2013, 03:03 PM
Submarine or Target?
A springer should be easy and inexpensive.
Aug 28, 2013, 06:24 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
In his post he wants "fast and agile". Hardly traits you find in a springer. An airboat would fulfill his basic requirements. If his chopper is no longer airworthy he is almost home provided the radio gear is on 2.4 ghz, not 72 mhz which is a NO NO on the ground. Samslam if you really want to try your hand at scratch ask over in the FE forum if there are plans available for a crackerbox. Easy hull to build. Circlip makes a valid point about hull design. even people trained in marine engineering get it wrong occasionally. The worst thing would be for you to invest time, energy, and money into a boat then be disappointed in the results. Start with a proven design. Once you have a feel for how hydrodynamics works then play around with your own designs. Good luck and keep us posted.
Aug 28, 2013, 08:26 PM
groundlooped
or how about a 50+ design from Dodgies Keilkraft easybuilt site!
col

Quick Reply