Jan 12, 2014, 02:47 PM
Thread OP

Building tug for the schooner

I've been building a period 1/24 scale tug for my schooner. The idea is to tow the schooner on windless sailing days.

Luckily the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum has saved the DELAWARE which is a period tug that assisted ram schooners during the day. "Delaware, a tugboat built in Bethel, Delaware, is a rare example of a typical early 20th century wooden river tug. Built in 1912 by William H. Smith, it may be one of two survivors of the notable boatyard. The Delaware hauled scows often laden with lumber and towed ram schooners up and down the Eastern Shore’s narrow, winding rivers." - See more at: http://www.cbmm.org/v_fleet.htm#sthash.z7D96Dnn.dpuf

I bought the CBMM's 1/4 scale plans from the museum store. I took those plans to an office supply store and had them doubled in size for 1/24. Still, this is a small scale hull length...only 20 inches

Hopefully this post, about a scale powered craft, is allowed since it's directly related to this scale sail build log.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2014, 03:15 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
That tug will look great towing your schooner. For mechanical parts, you might look at the VacUTug website. The vacutug jr. is about 1/48 (model RR: O-gauge)
http://vac-u-boat.com/

I've built 2 vacutugs for towing & rescuing our sailboats and barges, the thread is here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682182
Jan 13, 2014, 07:55 AM
Thread OP

Scale sail builder with power problems

Brooks hit the head of the nail. As I may be one of many RC sailors, I have no confidence/interest in designing/building/installing RC motor/speed controller ...etc. I'd be very interested in a pre-wired plug-n-play that I match to my hull.

I'll always be more interested in sailing vessels. But if one builds scale in the 19th or 20th centuries, some type of powered assist comes into play. Heck, I'd one day like to build a Barbary corsair with banks of powered oars.

I did look at the Vac-U-Tug Jr. The website says, "Vac-U-Boat will be closed temporarily due to the Illinois tornado-storms."

I'm going to look at MACK Products website.
Jan 13, 2014, 10:42 AM
"Heck, I'd one day like to build a Barbary corsair with banks of powered oars."

That would be awesome Gammon!

Nice looking tug.

best regards
Tim
Feb 18, 2014, 11:16 PM

cheasapeake modeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammon Iron
Brooks hit the head of the nail. As I may be one of many RC sailors, I have no confidence/interest in designing/building/installing RC motor/speed controller ...etc. I'd be very interested in a pre-wired plug-n-play that I match to my hull.

I'll always be more interested in sailing vessels. But if one builds scale in the 19th or 20th centuries, some type of powered assist comes into play. Heck, I'd one day like to build a Barbary corsair with banks of powered oars.

I did look at the Vac-U-Tug Jr. The website says, "Vac-U-Boat will be closed temporarily due to the Illinois tornado-storms."

I'm going to look at MACK Products website.
Great looking boat, I too enjoy the bay boats. I worked for a number of years on a scale model of the EMMA GILES side wheeler out of Baltimore and have great interest in the skipjacks. It would be great to see your boats and meet you, I'm originally from MD. but have retired in the Gettsburg,Pa. area.
You should plan to attend the boat show held in St. Micheals in May. You can go to the maritme museum web site to get the details. It's a great event and great location and good people.
The next thing coming up in our area is the cabin fever meet in York sometine in April I believe.
You can see some of my models and current projects by searching rjaaaaaa.
Hope to see you there
Ron
Feb 19, 2014, 08:22 AM
Thread OP

2014 modeling events

Hi Rjaaaaaa,

Thanks for your comments.

I admire your efforts on the EMMA GILES and your skipjack. In fact, we've met at Cabin Fever and CBMM. I'll be attending both this year. I hope to have my Bay tug pulling my ram schooner.

During this winter, I've been attending the RC fun runs at the Shrewsbury, PA YMCA in York County to learn about powered craft.
Feb 19, 2014, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammon Iron
Hi Rjaaaaaa,

Thanks for your comments.

I admire your efforts on the EMMA GILES and your skipjack. In fact, we've met at Cabin Fever and CBMM. I'll be attending both this year. I hope to have my Bay tug pulling my ram schooner.

During this winter, I've been attending the RC fun runs at the Shrewsbury, PA YMCA in York County to learn about powered craft.
ok, look forward to meeting you again, I have been working on 2 sailboats this winter that I picked up in Tenn. while on vacation. Needed some TLC, should be ready for St, Micheals. I might finish out one of my skipjack fiberglass hulls that I casted (29" long) , it's a fun sailed and not to big to just grab and run down to the pond with.
Good luck on the tug, you have a good start.
Ron
Feb 22, 2014, 10:39 AM
Thread OP

ram schooner research

I had a chance to spend some time in the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum library. I was looking for deck details for my model.

Below are a few images that I thought would be of interest ram KINKORA in the 1930's and one from a ram being used late in her life as dude cruiser in the 1950's.
Feb 23, 2014, 12:33 AM
Damp and Dizzy member
Neat historic stuff, thanks for posting.
Feb 23, 2014, 11:15 AM
pretty hull......
Mar 29, 2014, 06:54 PM
Thread OP

tug for schooner update

To show activity...

Here are three photos of progress on the tug for the schooner. I've built the stuffing boxes for the motor and rudder. Putting the cart before the horse, I built the hull without knowing how to install a stuffing box. So, I had to cut into the keel instead of building them into the keel.

I sanded and painted the exterior of the hull and put resin on the interior. I installed the framing for the sub deck. I test fit and ran the engine and RC gear.

My goal is to be towing the schooner on April 12th...fingers crossed
Last edited by Gammon Iron; Apr 03, 2014 at 07:44 AM. Reason: give correct date
Mar 30, 2014, 06:59 AM
Damp and Dizzy member
looking very nice :-)
Apr 16, 2014, 10:12 AM
Thread OP

tug for schooner update

As usual, behind schedule for the completion of this model. Missed an opportunity to run the model last weekend at Cabin Fever...rudder issues

Still need to make the windows, funnel, and fenders. I'll save the lights for next winter. Anyway progress has been made...see pics.
May 10, 2014, 02:38 PM
Thread OP

Maiden voyage for tug

Well, I finally finished the tug for the schooner.

By finished, I mean it hit the water and did not sink, powered up, turned, backed, AND returned to shore There is still a lot of detailing to do. Yes, I could shift the ballast aft a bit. I like the mechanical noise it makes. It's almost sounds like a steam boat. The proof is in the video. I now need to get video of the tug pushing and towing the schooner.

The best news is that, with this model out of the way, I can get t back to SCALE SAIL. I will now order the plans for my next model... a 1/24th War of 1812 brig. That build begins June 1st

Madien Voyage of RC model ofearly 20th century wooden river tug (2 min 22 sec)
Last edited by Gammon Iron; May 10, 2014 at 02:45 PM. Reason: grammar
May 16, 2014, 11:33 AM
SCALE Sailor
Going to National Maritime Day this Sunday (May 18, 2014), at Pier 13, 4601 Newgate Ave in Baltimore. CaptMSR is bringing his schooner Son of Erin, and I'm taking Constellation. They're setting up a 56 x 24 "pond" on the dock next to the NS Savannah. Not sure who else will be there, but there's bound to be something Chesapeakey sailing around. You should bring the Ram. They want models there by 0800.
Last edited by JerryTodd; Jun 07, 2014 at 01:27 PM.

Quick Reply