Aug 22, 2013, 03:49 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Planforms Edge - Zone in PDF

Hi everyone,
Did someone has ready to use planforms of the Edge and Zone V2 in pdf format based in the dimensions Gerald and Phil suggests.?

Regards
Manos
to remove ads between posts
Aug 22, 2013, 03:56 PM
Duane, LSF IV
Did you want a measured scale drawing, or full-size? I think I have one for Zone v2, but it's full-size, and you'd probably want to double-check the measurements.
Aug 22, 2013, 09:15 PM

Edge 4P

Manos,
The attached pdf is a plan for the Edge 4 panel wing, drawn to Geralds published dimensions. This makes a great flying wing that I flew for over 2 seasons.
You will need to find a large format plotter to print a full size plan. Just check the dimensions shown when printed to verify that scaling or distortion does not exist.

Good luck with your build and ask lots of questions if you need help.
Craig
Aug 23, 2013, 10:30 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazmo
Did you want a measured scale drawing, or full-size? I think I have one for Zone v2, but it's full-size, and you'd probably want to double-check the measurements.
Thank you for your reply guys,
Wazmo: A full scale would be perfect!
Craig: Thank you so much!! Exactly what I was looking for!!

What about the tails?

Thank you both!
Aug 23, 2013, 08:00 PM
Duane, LSF IV
Please check my dimensions.

First panel:
50 cm span
18 cm root chord
14.4 cm tip chord
1.9 cm LE offset at tip

Second panel:
25 cm span
14.4 cm root chord
7.644 cm tip chord
6.224 cm LE offset at tip (from wing root LE)

Note that the tip chord is the foam block size, and is a linear projection of the LE and TE tapers from the first section in the second panel of G_T's reference design. The final approximate planform tip shape is indicated by the dotted line in the drawing.

Hinge line at 70% chord
Last edited by Wazmo; Aug 23, 2013 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Added link to G_T reference design
Aug 23, 2013, 08:01 PM
Duane, LSF IV
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarboun
What about the tails?
Which tails do you plan to use?
Aug 24, 2013, 12:53 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazmo
Which tails do you plan to use?
Wazmo thank you so much for the wing plan form.
In this thread Http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=436 Gerald says " The Zone-2P tail planforms and tailboom length can be used, but use the Edge-Vertical and Edge-Horizontal foils instead of the Zone ones. The Edge versions are superior."

Since I have the EDGE templates I will the EDGE ones.

Thanks
Manos
Aug 24, 2013, 09:10 AM
Duane, LSF IV
Since then, I think G_T has released Freak horizontal (hinged) and Z4D (vertical) tails. Looks like he recommended the Z4D vertical this year.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1532514
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...58&postcount=3
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...4&postcount=85
Aug 24, 2013, 09:43 AM
Duane, LSF IV
Here are the Zone 2P tail planforms, based on these dimensions.
Last edited by Wazmo; Aug 25, 2013 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Added "artistic" rounded tip profiles
Aug 24, 2013, 09:50 AM
Manos,

I would extend the panel block length a couple mm to allow for foam shrink and fit adjustments too, especially at the wing centre.

Paul
Aug 24, 2013, 11:24 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Quote:
Wazmo thank you so much for the wing plan form.
In this thread Http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=436 Gerald says " The Zone-2P tail planforms and tailboom length can be used, but use the Edge-Vertical and Edge-Horizontal foils instead of the Zone ones. The Edge versions are superior."

Since I have the EDGE templates I will the EDGE ones.

Thanks
Manos
True but then he made the Zone 2 airfoils and those outdid the Edge is some aspects. I think the Zone 2 (not referring to the Zone 2panel but the second generation Zone foils: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ghlight=zone+2) handle turbulence better. You could set the dihedral to 6 degr. instead of 5.5 to improve stability as he stated.

Either way I am sure from what I have seen of Gerald's full designs, they will fly great!!!

Enjoy the building process. I know when I was building Super Gees it was lots of fun and a great wintertime challenge to get them light. It always put a smile on my face to see a new wing come out of the bag and pop the mylar off seeing that super smooth surface.

You will have a great time.

Frank
Aug 25, 2013, 02:42 PM
Thread OP
Wazmo:
Thank you so match for the tail planform. I will use the Edge since I have the templates as I said.

Paul:
Yes I have that in mind thank you for your suggestion.!

Frank:
I have also the Zone V2 airfoils for the tails. In the next build I will use those.!
I just want to start with the EDGE's first.

The Radius for the tails from where I can get it guys..?

Thank you all.!!
Aug 25, 2013, 04:14 PM
Duane, LSF IV
Quote:
Wazmo:
Thank you so match for the tail planform. I will use the Edge since I have the templates as I said.
The Zone 2P tail planform dimensions I used for the drawing were the only ones I could find mentioned for the Edge tails. If you have other numbers, let me know.
Aug 25, 2013, 05:18 PM
Duane, LSF IV
Tail planform drawing above updated with rounded tip profiles. Note that they are just my "artistic" suggestion, and not based on any published dimensions.
Aug 25, 2013, 05:37 PM
Thread OP
Wazmo,
Thank you very much mate.:-)
I have to say that I am a.beginner and I am very curious If this is wrong or right.
This means that I can make the radius so easy?

Manos

Quick Reply