Aug 21, 2013, 09:45 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Aichi type 99 "VAL" 36" Electric Parkflyer

I have always liked the Aichi type 99 "VAL". I guess it's those big wheel pants again. I just like the looks of the 1939 -1940 aircraft with the fixed gear pant ( spat) covered. The VAL is a handsome aircraft and has a nice "stance" on the ground. It looks solid.

First I gathered some reference material. The top publication has everything you ever wanted to know about the VAL, unfortunately, it is all in Japanese!, but the drawings and views are excellent. Great reference.

Second task was to determine the size and draw the plans. The 36" span was picked because wheels ad cowling were avalable. The canopy was another story.

A canopy mould had to be made and sent to Mr.Sparks at Parkflyer Plastics, and the parts files were sent to Charlie at Manzano Laser Works.

With the plans, laser and plastic parts in hand building was started.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2013, 11:12 PM
boat butcher
Great choice.

Mark
Aug 21, 2013, 11:59 PM
Very cool Bill, will be following this one!

D-Rock
Aug 22, 2013, 06:21 AM
Will that be a slide out for the battery, etc?
Aug 22, 2013, 08:19 AM
Registerd Beaver
Awesome Bill!
This is one of my favourites too.

Subscribed

- Phil
Aug 22, 2013, 10:30 AM
Pro Hoarder
Cool Build!
Latest blog entry: In flight
Aug 22, 2013, 01:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonquinn
Will that be a slide out for the battery, etc?
No, the photo of the white canopy shows the area of the top fuselage that will lift off for easy battery access.

Nice to see you Phil
Aug 22, 2013, 10:00 PM
Cool subject and a nice start. Subbing in.

raipe
Aug 22, 2013, 10:39 PM
Thread OP

Continuing the fuselage

Formers are added on the front and sides of the basic battery box. The lift off canopy base is fitted and the canopy ribs are installed. The openings in the canopy base are for air flow. this will be clear later.
Aug 23, 2013, 09:01 AM
Isn't there a Val on display at the Nimitz Museum in Fredericksburg?

CD
Aug 23, 2013, 09:30 AM
what's left of one yes...
there's another on in Chino

very nice build, great to see an unusual subject pop up

Frank
Aug 23, 2013, 09:31 AM
in all, there's not a lot of Aichi stuff left...

http://www.preservedaxisaircraft.com/
Aug 23, 2013, 09:56 PM
Thread OP

Continue fuselage

The rear fuselage top and bottom keels are aligned over the plans.Formers and side keel is added. Remove from the board and add the opposite formers, side keel, and 1/8 stringers. Fabricate the tail wheel assembly with 1/16 wire and brass tube. Place against the tailpost and sew into place using nylon thread thru the provided holes. CA securely being careful not to glue the wire into the brass tube. Now add the rear fuselage to the front section. Fill in all the stringers and set the bottom canopy rails.
Aug 24, 2013, 12:50 PM
Gravity sucks.
I have an ancient set of Rubber Power plans for one about that size. I always liked that elliptical wing...
Mark

Quick Reply