Aug 21, 2013, 07:44 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Bessie B II a 32' Bristol Bay Gillneter x 2

In the 1960's my dad had two new Bristol Bay gillnet boats built for him. The Bessie B a 1961 Bryant and then in 1966 a Commercial Marine boat. This story and photos are about the 1966 Commercial. My dad because of illness only fished until the 1969 season and turned the boat over to my uncle until I took over in 1980 and bought the boat from mom in 1985. I was fortunate to fish both boats. The Bessie B in 1965 and the Bessie B II when new in 1966. In 1965 my dad delivered 42500 sockeye salmon and 14000 pink salmon. A feat that is hard to do today with modern boats. I was a green horn and only fished for 12 days, yet we delivered 28,000 fish together. Still pretty tough to do today. There are two models 30 years apart. I hope you enjoy the story and the models. One radio control on static. Patience please I am going to pause at times since I have lost this post several times.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2013, 07:52 PM
Man what a Cool legacy, this just keeps gettin Better and Better !

What priceless photos ~

I have not seen this exact type of boat before, what a great subject for a model.

Speaking of which, Much looking forward to seeing pics of the Bessie B !
Aug 21, 2013, 11:44 PM
Taking care of the pond.
Great story.
Aug 22, 2013, 10:33 AM
Thread OP

The story continues

The one pic of the model is as the boat was in 1982. The boat, once I captained it and bought it, went through many transformations.

{About the model}
Except for the frames and keel there were no patterns. Every piece was drawn on the material it was made from. My model appeared in Scale Ship Modeler some time in 1986. It just so happened that the builder of the real boat ( Dave LeClercq ) happened to be a subscriber also. Mr LeClercq contacted me told me I did a good job. However I knew the lines weren't right. I asked if he could supply the line drawings. He replied that the architect lived in Canada and if they could be found he would send them to me. Several years later and completely out of the blue an envelope showed up at my house with the drawings with the original purchase order for the boat. More to come.
Aug 22, 2013, 01:33 PM
Great, need more pictures. Great to see models of boats that the people also own the real boat. Cpl. Fuzz
Aug 22, 2013, 01:47 PM
r/c ships and workboats
oh this is great. Have seen a few of these style boats as some still in use today locallt.
Aug 22, 2013, 02:17 PM
What a great job on this model, cool to see a one-of a kind creation like this, and also comes with a real story of heritage captured.
Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 03, 2016 at 12:53 PM.
Aug 22, 2013, 04:39 PM
I worked in Egegik (Bristol Bay) a few summers in the late 1970's. Those photos certainly bring back memories.
Aug 22, 2013, 06:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPL.FUZZ
Great, need more pictures. Great to see models of boats that the people also own the real boat. Cpl. Fuzz
CPL.FUZZ There will be more pictures of the second build shortly. Are real photos also what you want?
Aug 22, 2013, 06:18 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLurker
I worked in Egegik (Bristol Bay) a few summers in the late 1970's. Those photos certainly bring back memories.
RCLurker, I spent some time in Egegik also. It's not a very big place. Where did you work? Shore or ship?
Aug 22, 2013, 07:27 PM
Very cool!
Aug 22, 2013, 08:23 PM
Awesome. Nice job on the build. Keep this stuff coming!

I was a cannery kid down in Kenai and I fondly remember wandering through the boatyard pre-season looking at boats.
Aug 23, 2013, 06:08 AM
no such thing as to many boats
Very cool more photos please .
Aug 23, 2013, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbruno
RCLurker, I spent some time in Egegik also. It's not a very big place. Where did you work? Shore or ship?
I had been a seine skiff driver out of Blane in previous years, but in Egegik, I was on the beach working as tallyman at the (then) brand new freezer plant at Diamond E.

In the middle of my second season there, I was offered a job on a bow picker. When I went down to the dock to talk over the gig with the skipper I got a bad feeling about the boat. Things were kind of sloppy for my taste and the guys didn't seem to have their act together. Based on that feeling, I decided to skip the job and stay at the freezer plant instead.

Two days later that boat burned to the waterline and sank with no one hurt, thankfully.

Sometimes you gotta trust your gut.
Aug 23, 2013, 10:51 AM
boat butcher
Very cool

Mark

Quick Reply