Thread Tools
Aug 20, 2013, 02:07 PM
Registered User
jtice's Avatar
Thread OP
Discussion

jtice - Frame Designs


I have been playing around in CAD (I use Draftsight) designing some custom quadcopter frame and thought I would share with with you guys.
I plan to end up cutting some of these out manually on a scroll saw. Currently researching some materials to use. I would like to use 3mm to 4mm thick carbon fiber or fiber glass, but the stuff seems so expensive!!! Anyone know a good source for small sheets?
Also thinking about using some nice plywood like others here on the forum have used, and seem to have great results, but that will be heavier naturally.
One material I am thinking about using, which might seem odd, are plastic cutting boards you can buy at Walmart. They are about 5mm to 7mm in thickness and seem quite strong. But I am not sure if they will end up being too heavy.
Really hoping to get a 3D printer this winter to play around with, which might work out well for some of these.

Comments, suggestions, are more than welcome.
Last edited by jtice; Aug 22, 2013 at 02:47 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2013, 01:56 AM
Registered User

Nice !!!


hi,

those are some real cool designs ...

if you need help procuring cf sheets and getting cnc work done ... pls let me know ... we manufacture our own sheets based on your requirements ... we are based in Bangalore, India

we use natural colored G10 for most our builds as well ... we can paint it any color you want ...

do let me know

chX
Aug 21, 2013, 06:02 PM
Jack
jackerbes's Avatar
Check this thread out, I just answered the question about a good place to buy material there:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1979972

Jack
Aug 21, 2013, 06:05 PM
Jack
jackerbes's Avatar
Can you share those as DXF files? To assist with laser cutting or CNC machining of those?

I think you would have to put the files into a zip file archive as the dxf file is not one of the file types that can be posted as an attachment.

Jack
Aug 21, 2013, 06:11 PM
Registered User
jtice's Avatar
Thread OP
I am still tweaking them but I guess I could share the dxf files.
I'm not looking to make money off them, just having fun designing them. And it would be cool to have some cnc cut one day.
Once I have them finalized I will upload th dxf files to my website so they can be downloaded.
Aug 21, 2013, 06:20 PM
Jack
jackerbes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtice
I am still tweaking them but I guess I could share the dxf files.
I'm not looking to make money off them, just having fun designing them. And it would be cool to have some cnc cut one day.
Once I have them finalized I will upload th dxf files to my website so they can be downloaded.
I have a friend that is getting ready to experiment with cutting some frame plates for me with a laser cutter. Stay in touch with me by PM and or emails to "jacker at midmaine dot com" and I may be able to get some of those parts cut for you.

I have some 1/16" G10 material now and that is what we are going to start with when he returns in a few weeks.

Jack
Aug 21, 2013, 06:49 PM
Registered User
TheCNCguy's Avatar
If you haven't already, you should check out eplastics. Either way, G-10 isn't cheap and Carbon fiber is definitely not cheap. I wouldn't recommend cutting CF with a jig saw. Probably wouldn't turn out well. If you use G10 make sure you're wearing gloves when you're drilling the holes, and if you're using a drill press make sure you have a sturdy table or its clamped down when you're drilling.
Aug 21, 2013, 08:39 PM
Registered User
Please put the stl or sketchup files on thingyverse so I can print these.
Aug 21, 2013, 08:49 PM
Registered User
jtice's Avatar
Thread OP
jackerbes,
I have some other projects to finish up first, but I will end up ordering some .125" and .185" G10 FR4 to make some frames out of.
Do you think your friend can cut G10 that this?
We will have to keep in touch on this!

TheCNCGuy,
I have a thread I started about places to buy CF and FG sheets.
eplastics is the cheapest place in the US so far for black G10
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1979972

At first, I plan to cut the G10 on a bandsaw or scrollsaw, and will be doing it outside in the driveway, with a mask, and gloves. I know this stuff is nothing to mess with.
And from what I have read, yes, CF would be to hard to really work with like this, not to mention its about twice as expensive.

resago,
You have a 3D printer? I am jealous !!!!!
I hope to get one this winter actually, so far I have my eye on the larger RigidBot.
I would love to be able to print some parts. Do you think the plastic is ridged and light enough to print these entire frames? Say 4mm thick?

Once I have some things tweeked I will upload the files, at least in dwg and/or dxf format.
I do use Sketchup some also, might include that as well.
Aug 21, 2013, 09:17 PM
Registered User
using abs, I might go 6mm
Aug 22, 2013, 08:00 AM
Jack
jackerbes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtice
jackerbes,
I have some other projects to finish up first, but I will end up ordering some .125" and .185" G10 FR4 to make some frames out of.
Do you think your friend can cut G10 that this?
We will have to keep in touch on this!
Definitely, we'll do that.

He is pretty sure it will work, he is using it mostly for doing decorative engraving in glass, wood, and other materials now and thinks it will work fine for cutting G10. We just need to work out the cutting rates and power levels. So that is what we are going to find out.

I started with the 0.6125" or 1/16" G10 because that is a good material for frame plates for a tricopter like the RC Explorer V2.5. Once the frame plates are sandwiched with the wood frame members and the screws, it will all be rigid enough. The weight is the real issue of course. Using 1/8" or 3/16" can be considered and experimented with later.

I found Norva Plastics on eBay, they list all the materials, sizes, and prices there:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/hman16/m.html?item=200953736424

I really thought that the 12" square 1/6" sheets at $2.75 each was pretty reasonable.


Quote:
TheCNCGuy,
I have a thread I started about places to buy CF and FG sheets.
eplastics is the cheapest place in the US so far for black G10
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1979972

At first, I plan to cut the G10 on a bandsaw or scrollsaw, and will be doing it outside in the driveway, with a mask, and gloves. I know this stuff is nothing to mess with.
And from what I have read, yes, CF would be to hard to really work with like this, not to mention its about twice as expensive.

resago,
You have a 3D printer? I am jealous !!!!!
I hope to get one this winter actually, so far I have my eye on the larger RigidBot.
I would love to be able to print some parts. Do you think the plastic is ridged and light enough to print these entire frames? Say 4mm thick?

Once I have some things tweeked I will upload the files, at least in dwg and/or dxf format.
I do use Sketchup some also, might include that as well.
The dxf file is what works for the laser machine. I don't have the info on what model it is but can come up with that info later.

Jack
Aug 22, 2013, 08:32 AM
Registered User
jtice's Avatar
Thread OP
Thats not too bad a price on the 1/16". Looks a bit different than other stuff I am seeing though, bit more clear, and less fiber to it.

I have some other projects to finish up, then I will probably make an order for some materials.
I think the 0.187" would be great for cutting an entire frame out of, or arms.
Should be quite strong. I want to have it light as possible, but especially if its all all one piece frame, I want it tough, since you cant just replace an arm.
Aug 22, 2013, 11:30 AM
Jack
jackerbes's Avatar
"..since you cant just replace an arm..."

If you made that with a stack of two arms held on with through-bolts that also held the frame plates together you could replace the arms, right?

Try the Advanced Mode for posting and adding your images from the Manage Attachments menu there, it is a much better way to handle attachments.

Jack
Aug 22, 2013, 11:34 AM
Jack
jackerbes's Avatar
"..Looks a bit different than other stuff I am seeing though, bit more clear, and less fiber to it..."

It is there, pretty dense as far as the spacing of the threads and there is only one layer I think. But the stuff is stiff and the strength feels good to me. It is not inferior I think, just thinner.

Jack
Aug 22, 2013, 11:39 AM
Registered User
jtice's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes
"..since you cant just replace an arm..."

If you made that with a stack of two arms held on with through-bolts that also held the frame plates together you could replace the arms, right?

Try the Advanced Mode for posting and adding your images from the Manage Attachments menu there, it is a much better way to handle attachments.

Jack
That is basically what I did for the last design in my post, except I am using 2 frame plates sandwiching one arm.

Designs with longer arms I will probably use that kind of design.
But one of the main things I am trying to do with my designs is to keep the arms short, that way if I use something like 0.187" thick G10, I should be able to just have a one piece frame and not have to worry as much about snapping an arm off.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Beautiful fully CFK Fun-Quad Frame - 3 sizes - 4 designs da skyfreak Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 21 May 20, 2014 08:33 PM
Found astroid designs carbon frame braces for 300x woodyflight Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 5 Apr 28, 2013 12:45 PM
Discussion My new FPV frame design terrago Multirotor Drone Talk 0 Jan 28, 2013 09:21 AM
New Product Custom frames and frame design rp181 Multirotor Drone Talk 24 Sep 23, 2010 03:49 PM