Aug 20, 2013, 01:21 PM
Knowledge prevents flyaways
Thread OP
Build Log

ecksaxis gimbal (mid too large sized camera)

Here is the start of my new project. A simple designed 6mm aluminium gimbal for midsized cameras like the sony nex and panasonic lumix.

I have made a rough test idea, and its working very well:

(0 min 39 sec)

(2 min 48 sec)

I have altered the length of the arms, dropping the camera lower from the frame.

and being how I am, Ive designed my own arms to be watercut hopefully over the week.

I know there are hundreds of brushless gimbal startups, but I want my own

motors for this will be:

Rctimer gimbal motor 5010 150T

martinez V3 controller.

I will keep this thread updated
Last edited by ecks; Aug 25, 2013 at 03:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 20, 2013, 03:34 PM
Capt. Dennis
Oh.. thatīs really nice!! =)
Aug 20, 2013, 04:22 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, I'm still waiiting for esc's for my 800 machine, so I thought I'd make the gimbal look a bit nicer

One thing I will change is the camera plate, I will make this in 2 parts so the arm can be placed on either side of the plate, as some cameras are mount better from the opposite side.
Aug 23, 2013, 03:19 PM
Thread OP
First build all lit up
Aug 23, 2013, 03:21 PM
I'm New
Suggested retail price for those plates?
Aug 23, 2013, 03:38 PM
Thread OP
I'm calculating cost with different companies, I will keep this updated.
Aug 23, 2013, 04:34 PM
Just got sucked into it all!!
If you swap the roll arm to the opposite side (non battery side) of the camera will the lens be more centered with the roll motor?
Aug 23, 2013, 04:52 PM
Thread OP
Problem there is the HDMI out for VX would be impossible to access.
Aug 23, 2013, 05:04 PM
click HERE 2 C my BLOG
subscribed with interest
Aug 23, 2013, 05:13 PM
Thread OP
A few easy to spot changes:

The middle arm does not need to stick out so long, I can reduce that by 30mm.

The camera holder arm does not need to be so high, again I can reduce this by 30mm.

The balance point of the entire setup, is right at the tip of the 1st arm, I dont know how this will affect other people who need vibration dampening.

My wooden frame doesnt have any vibrations, so I just hard bolt it on.

Most important!!!! The logo needs highering 2mm, I just had the gimbal on in the dark, and it shined nearly the whole logo on the wall, the camera got in the way of the bottom. Now I hear what your all saying, How did I get that wrong LOL
Aug 23, 2013, 05:21 PM
But ecs, can't you cut a hole for the vtx cable to attach through the arm? If you make the hole just big enough for the hdmi flap to open with the cable attached. Also on the bottom of the pitch arm cut a hole for access to the battery and memory card.

I doubt you would lose any stiffness to the arm in doing so. It would be two features others are sorely lacking.

Just a thought. Oh crap I totally forgot to consider how you fly! Can you make it out of heat treated titanium? :-)
Aug 23, 2013, 05:31 PM
Thread OP
That would definatly work, BUT,,,,,,,,,, then It would soley be designed for the sony NEX (hang on thats the only camera I have).

I like the idea of being able to use this for other cameras, I have a friend who wants it for the GH2, I could develop more than one type of arm, but I dont have any development funds.
Aug 23, 2013, 06:16 PM
Ok I understand. What is needed in the way of funds? PM me if you want. You have the basic design that would work for the NEX and there are a lot of them out there. The GH series are very similar in weight and although they are great cameras there are fewer hoisting them in the air comparatively speaking. You have a great following here so I'm confident you could sell quite a few.

If you can nail down a design for the NEX where you have two mounting holes one for the 16mm pancake and the other for the kit lens, then you've got that camera done. Since your water cutting them can they jet in alignment markers without making a cut? This way you could set basic markers for camera balance on one or both arms and also the camera plate. This would give you a good starting point for completely balancing on both axis.

The kit lens has a lower balance point than the 16mm on the tilt and I'm pretty sure the roll needs to be shifted a little bit too. I've always envisioned a guide plate for each that the camera body actually sits in, but that adds extra weight. A super light weight solution would be phenomenal. Similar to how the GP3 slides in to DJI and Tarot gimbals. No guesswork.

I know you're half a world away so PM me if you want. I'll buy one!
Aug 23, 2013, 06:47 PM
Thread OP
We can discuss more tomorrow, Im thinking of a fitting name, "ecksYZ"?
Aug 23, 2013, 07:00 PM
I like it! - always unique ;-)

You know what that means though.... 3rd axis.

But you already knew that was coming anyway.

Quick Reply