Aug 19, 2013, 12:12 PM
i crash sometimes
Thread OP
Discussion

Why is there nothing between BNF and BNF basic?

I wish there was a BNF that didn't come with a charger, but it came with a battery, and possibly the 3mm male banana that plugs into your charger and either has a umx plug or an ec3 plug on the end. To me, that would be the ideal BNF, because then I wouldn't have to buy batteries, and adapter/cord if I was purchasing my first umx, and it was BNF basic. These are my thoughts, feel free to share yours.:-)
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2013, 01:17 PM
Depron Daz
Most of the chargers that come with BNF's are next to useless anyways, and the sooner you get a quality charger the better. I have a few of these "supplied" chargers, and when you connect them up to a meter, you'll see that they never balance properly, and are badly built with cheap nasty components that don't regulate the charge process properly. They are more likely to damage your lipos than anything else.
Get a decent charger,, and toss the trash in the bin, is my thought!
Aug 19, 2013, 01:36 PM
Buyers should have a choice of buying an ARF without battery pack, charger, speed control, motor and servos (or) one with "nearly all you need" which is often of low quality, inadequate, and limited use stuff. I often caution beginners to avoid BNF/all -you-need bundles and to get help selecting and installing what they will really need as inexpensively as practical. Maybe the "all you need" boxes are aimed at "overwhelmed" beginners or people like parents or wives buying the bundle for a beginner.
Aug 19, 2013, 05:36 PM
i crash sometimes
Thread OP
I was just thinking that the BNF basics should come with a battery, just to get you started before you purchase other batteries. BTW , I'm not a beginner, I just thought I should ask this question.
Aug 19, 2013, 06:09 PM
http://www.sgvhumane.org/
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
Buyers should have a choice of buying an ARF without battery pack, charger, speed control, motor and servos (or) one with "nearly all you need" which is often of low quality, inadequate, and limited use stuff. I often caution beginners to avoid BNF/all -you-need bundles and to get help selecting and installing what they will really need as inexpensively as practical. Maybe the "all you need" boxes are aimed at "overwhelmed" beginners or people like parents or wives buying the bundle for a beginner.
most of the HH BNFs aren't beginner planes so i don't think they're necessarily aimed at beginners. more likely to get rid of accessories that no one would normally buy by bundling them.
Aug 20, 2013, 08:47 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoolkid
I was just thinking that the BNF basics should come with a battery, just to get you started before you purchase other batteries. BTW , I'm not a beginner, I just thought I should ask this question.
The BNF Basic is designed as a product that someone buys after they crash their BNF version if the model. They already have the battery and a charger. The BNF Basic models are often aerobatic models like the (discontinued) Micro 4-Site and the Micro uMX Beast as the airframes often get trashed doing aerobatics and learning 3D.

Given that there are lot of sources of low cost batteries for BNF models, I don't see why HH needs to stock yet another version of the model between BNF and BNF basic. It does not make economic sense.
Latest blog entry: RC events for 2019!
Aug 20, 2013, 10:49 AM
Solar Powered
I'd rather be able to buy a BNF basic without the battery because Eflite batteries are crap. I wouldn't want another one even if it was free. Mine have no punch and the wires break off the tabs every few flights.

I'd say if you're going to get a BNF and you don't want the charger, get the basic bnf and a few batteries that are worth having.
Aug 20, 2013, 08:32 PM
Heli's rule!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoolkid
I wish there was a BNF that didn't come with a charger, but it came with a battery, and possibly the 3mm male banana that plugs into your charger and either has a umx plug or an ec3 plug on the end. To me, that would be the ideal BNF, because then I wouldn't have to buy batteries, and adapter/cord if I was purchasing my first umx, and it was BNF basic. These are my thoughts, feel free to share yours.:-)
The problem with selling a plane with a battery but no charger, is that many people new to the hobby woulnt know enough to know they needed a seperate charger. At a decent LHS it would be fine because the counter people could warn them, but someone buying online, or from a "less than stellar" LHS would get home and go "hey, how do I charge this? Oh, I can use this tyco ni-cad charger..." The basic chargers you get cost almost nothibg to make, so removing them from the package wouldnt drop the price anyway.....
Aug 25, 2013, 08:17 PM
i crash sometimes
Thread OP
OK OK, I guess it was a bad idea, I'll just get some nanotechs if I ever get a BNF basic:-\
Aug 25, 2013, 11:47 PM
The thing I don't understand is when HobbyKing offers models with a receiver already installed but no transmitter. I understand getting everything in one box for newbies, but once you take the transmitter out of the package, please take the receiver out too. The chances that a transmitter is compatible with anything other than DSM2 is very low (and pretty much only Horizon does BNFs with DSM2). If HobbyKing is going to do BNFs, they should use DSM2 compatible receivers.

Quick Reply