This thread is privately moderated by 59er9er, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 19, 2013, 10:55 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

New old Sukhoi, Spitfire and SC

Fun day at the field yesterday, even though I ended performing an unscheduled landing with the SC. Had a couple fun and hairy flights with the SC when I first arrived at the field. the Cub has a pretty good roll rate now that I moved the pushrods to the outermost hole on the servo horns. It was nice being able to bring her in nice and slow on this windy day.

A few more flyers arrived at the field including a friend of mine with a micro Spit. We decided to put both of our Spits up at the same time and boy was that a blast watching both of them fly together. We didn't do any formation flying but it was still fun chasing each other around. Next up were our Super Cubs. He just acquired his and he upgraded to brushless. Mine still has the stock motor. We had them up flying slow and easy. I went inverted but I didn't have my elevator on high rates. I started to lose altitude even with the stick full forward so I gave her power but then I made the rookie mistake of pulling out of inverted father than rolling out. This resulted in it darting into the ground at a pretty good clip. Because the ground was soft from recent rains the prop actually bent back but not much damage to the foam. Also the cowling cracked so this is the first time I'm actually going to have to replace it and the prop. At least the spinner came out intact.

But the day didn't end there. I bought a Sukhoi Su-26m from someone at the field. This has the P-51 motor and gearbox and a GWS 5043 prop. I prefer the looks of the 26m over the xp which is why I decided to go for it. There was a bit of vibration when running at about 50%, which I thought was from the prop adapter which has a set screw. Well I took it off this morning, inspected the prop shaft which was laser straight and mounted the stock prop. Still a bit of vibration but not nearly as bad as before. I may fly it around like this until I receive the prop saver I ordered from rcfunlabs. Nothing feels loose when I try to jiggle stuff around so I'm not sure what's causing the vibration...it's possible that the geaerbox may have just slightly unseated itself from running with the old prop adapter. Anyway, I flew it around a bit yesterday right after taking ownership of it and I really enjoyed it. I'm super excited to have this plane in the fleet and look forward to doing a lot of inverted flight and big lazy loops with it.

Happy flying!
Last edited by 59er9er; Aug 24, 2013 at 11:47 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply