This thread is privately moderated by quitcherbitchen, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 18, 2013, 07:59 AM
How I learned to love the Bomb
Thread OP
Build Log

A1H Skyraider funtional wing hard points

Decided to finally try and finish my A1H Durafly Skyraiders and put the last of the finishing touches---fully functional wing hard points. I used Dymond 2.7 gram servos and my Adam Bomb drop mechanisms to make a true "Flying Dump Truck". I am able to pickle off the center on one channel and then pickle off the outsides on another channel. Makes for less landing to reload and better chances of scoring a hit on the target per sortie. CAS (close air support) missions are super fun.
Last edited by quitcherbitchen; Oct 07, 2014 at 04:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2013, 08:54 PM
Thread OP
Finished making the 20 inch long Y connector. I used 28 gauge light weight servo wire that I bought from Dymond for $2.00. I did a test fit here to see if there would be sufficient ground clearance---and there was. More then the center bomb rack. This is going to be a BLAST once I get it all together.
Latest blog entry: HK B-17 landing gear mod
Aug 29, 2013, 11:00 PM
Thread OP
Balanced the plane and no significant change in CG. I did have to add extra glue to the pylons because the bombs are heavy enough to torsionally twist them at high G. The bombs rattle a little on the mounts so I am not sure if I need to stabilize them with something.
Sep 02, 2013, 08:14 PM
Thread OP
These worked great. I can't tell you how much fun it was. The best part is having a second pass.
Functional hard points on Skyraider (1 min 1 sec)
Sep 17, 2013, 09:31 AM
Thread OP
Have a bit of an engineering dilemma. In my quest for more ordinance I am trying to make the outside pocket functional too. Only problem is even though the 2.2 gram servo is slim, it's not slim enough to make the geometry right to just mount it in the removable ordinance panel. I would need to embed the servo in the wing. This looks like a potential bad idea as the wing has a lot going on in this particular section with the aileron servo pocket so close by. I am afraid I might weaken the wing. My back up plan is no servo in the wing and just leave the hard point non operable, but still able to change ordinance on a little push of a tab on the mechanism. Much easier to fly it clean or dirty when you don't have to unscrew it. Or better yet, make a camera pod on this point to watch the three bombs pickle off from the outside. Or make a machine gun pod with functional lights that I can take off or on. I like that idea. like in the article Soul of the Skyraider, "The A-1 has some interesting aspects to the guns too. Skyraider pilots didn’t like shooting the guns that were mounted in the wings. The 20 mm rounds tended to boil up in the wing every now and then. And it would blow the gun-loading panel off the top of wing, and it’s a pretty big panel. So that wing would lose lift fairly quickly. So here you are diving at the ground, one of your wings all the sudden loses lift, so you flip upside down, and several guys were killed that way. Some of them recovered!"

The fire rate on the wing guns was pretty low because it’s a larger caliber. What the Skyraider guys really liked were the little mini-guns—they were adapted from the helicopters Gatling guns—carried in pods. The fire rate was higher, so your shot density was better at the target. And if the gun malfunctioned, it was malfunctioning outside the wing. Although the malfunction rate of the miniguns was very low. They were very reliable.
Last edited by quitcherbitchen; Sep 17, 2013 at 05:50 PM. Reason: add content
Oct 01, 2013, 10:35 AM
Thread OP
Change out the switch on the transmitter to a push button style Vs toggle. This should help pickle the ordinance easier.
Oct 05, 2013, 07:48 PM
Adam see you still at it, beautiful model couldn't see the bomb drops on the iPad but I swear on the return past that model looked like the real thing.
Keep it up

Ken Smith
Oct 12, 2013, 09:31 AM
Thread OP
Thank you Ken. That is one of the nicest comments I have ever received.

Quick Reply