This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 18, 2013, 06:29 AM
Thread OP
Cool

ftc (from the cockpit)

i would like to fly my plane and experience the same sensation as if i were in the pilot's position; to see the same that we see in those videos filmed with a camera, but with me piloting the plane.
some have started threads on long distance piloting, the so-called first person view (FPV), but that's a completely different idea, and also requires other kind of equipment, and most of it has to be made or adapted by the user.
it all started when hobby king sent me a notice of a product that they were releasing, so i went into the threads on fpv, but realized that i wanted a completely different thing. after some research i decided for a ready-to-use product (that was also way less expensive) that is easy to add to the regular gear, and start experiencing that sensation of flying the plane inside of it, not watching it from a distance. the idea is to fly within eyesight, not beyond that. i will install it in a kind of trainer plane and will keep bringing comments as it goes. as soon as i get the package i will bring comments. in the meantime am preparing my plane for that. stay put...am adding details at the end of this post.
>>>the plane i choose was my 60" Elf, an all-balsa and tissue (litespan, really) high winger with undercamber airfoil (i will post pics) that is just an enlarged version of my 48" Elf that you can see somewhere in page 1 of this blog. it was electric when i 1st built it back in the 80's, and is in perfect shape despite so many years in storage. it had what was the state-of-the-art technology of the day: a leisure 05 geared brushed motor, 11" folding prop, 7x1200 nicads, and the 1st radio ever designed for electrics, the futaba attack 4, with an arming switch, a built-in esc, and used only 1 single pack for the motor and the radio (at the time electrics used 2 packs). now it has a brushless outrunner and the corresponding esc, a folding prop, and a 3x1400 lipo.
>>>converting to the new technology was not easy. i had to re-shape the nose inside, to fit a completely different motor, but the results were so pleasing that the plane looks as good as new. it balances the same, and is even 100 grams lighter. it is awaiting the fpv package that may land in about a week i hope. i still may need to ask for advice for details on the instal, because am totally new to this science-fiction thing of fpv.
>>>all this said, this endeavor is not the typical fpv that requires thousands of dollars in equipment and a deep knowledge of long distance flying, where you don't see the plane and many things may (and do) go wrong, as you can see at the threads, with the consequences of lost airplanes and probably crashing somewhere and hitting somebody as a result. this (ftc) is a way milder, safer, and cheaper issue, where you can remove the goggles and see the plane at any moment and correct its trajectory and so preventing it from crashing or getting lost or hurting some1. the idea is just to get the feeling of being inside the airplane and flying it as if you were in a full size airplane.
>>>aug 21: today, i flew the plane, still without the system, just to see how the new technology works with it. it behaves great. take-offs, landings, touch and go's, and even catching it was fantastic. am looking forward to get the system and install it.
>>>aug 22: the system arrived and i began to familiarize with it. it took me some time to realize that all that it needs is to charge the 2x1000 that comes with it, plug all the parts, including the plane's pack, and voila! it works! seeing through the goggles is great. so far i am using the pack that comes with it, and plugs to the side of the goggles, but will try to get the connector that uses the radio pack. am working on a mount as simple as possible to fit on top of the wing of the Elf and then, if the weather cooperates, i may be able to try this saturday.
(by the way, the system is the predator v2 from fat shark) http://www.fatshark.com/
Last edited by phil alvirez; Aug 22, 2013 at 07:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply