Aug 17, 2013, 09:31 AM
Thread OP
Help!

what's the gas engines ?

Hello guys ... i am new to the fuel world , i have a glow old engine and now i know how to use it and also they make the fuel in the rc club using 75 % oil , 20% methanol , 5 % nitro

I want to buy a gas plane after finishing my trainer , thay plane is katana that requires a 30 cc gas engine... i dont have any knowledge about gas engines and i cant find alot of information about gas engines .. does it use gas fuel like gas cars ? ( i dont mean rc cars ) .. by the way can i make the fuel for it ?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 17, 2013, 10:37 AM
team sleprock
yes it will use pump gas,( the same as your car) but, it must be mixed with 2 stroke motor oil! more like your weedeater, chain saw, and such!

at a specified ratio, according too which engine you use! mine run 32 to 1, 32 parts gasoline too 1 part oil!

much cheaper then glow fuel, and much simpler, after the initial learning curve!
Aug 17, 2013, 11:41 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskykid
yes it will use pump gas,( the same as your car) but, it must be mixed with 2 stroke motor oil! more like your weedeater, chain saw, and such!

at a specified ratio, according too which engine you use! mine run 32 to 1, 32 parts gasoline too 1 part oil!

much cheaper then glow fuel, and much simpler, after the initial learning curve!
Thank you .. that seems to be better than glow, i think i will buy a 30 cc gas plane as a second plane
Aug 17, 2013, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_rc
Hello guys ... i am new to the fuel world , i have a glow old engine and now i know how to use it and also they make the fuel in the rc club using 75 % oil , 20% methanol , 5 % nitro

I want to buy a gas plane after finishing my trainer , thay plane is katana that requires a 30 cc gas engine... i dont have any knowledge about gas engines and i cant find alot of information about gas engines .. does it use gas fuel like gas cars ? ( i dont mean rc cars ) .. by the way can i make the fuel for it ?
I'm afraid you got your oil and methanol ratios interchanged here.
Aug 17, 2013, 08:04 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but what have you been smoking?? A Katana is a 3d airplane, even mastering your trainer will crash that type of plane very likely on the first flight. You have several aircraft that you have to master before you attempt to try that plane. That is at least a 3rd plane and that is seriously pushing it.
Aug 18, 2013, 06:56 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney
I'm afraid you got your oil and methanol ratios interchanged here.
Idk but i will follow my instructor in fuel mixing
Aug 18, 2013, 06:58 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawl131
Don't take this the wrong way, but what have you been smoking?? A Katana is a 3d airplane, even mastering your trainer will crash that type of plane very likely on the first flight. You have several aircraft that you have to master before you attempt to try that plane. That is at least a 3rd plane and that is seriously pushing it.
Umm i liked a katana and a extra 260 and yes, i know that these are 3d planes but i thought that mastering the trainer is enough to start flying 3d
Aug 18, 2013, 08:46 AM
Well good luck with that, I hope you will be on a buddy box and at least they can take over when you are about to stuff it in the ground.
Aug 18, 2013, 09:54 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawl131
Well good luck with that, I hope you will be on a buddy box and at least they can take over when you are about to stuff it in the ground.
I have a buddy box but i dont like it ... i ordered a simulator and i should recieve it these days because i think better to learn on simulator and then fly without buddy box
Aug 18, 2013, 10:09 AM
team sleprock
here's where the rubber meets the road as the say!

ok a 30cc KATANA "can be" a 3D machine, if the controls are set-up too what I will call an IMAC tune, it could be a great sport plane.

with that said, if that is the road you know you want ta go, then by all means, but do keep the throws down, and have someone experienced help you with your set-up, and test flights!

I went from a SIG KADET Jr,(3 channel) too a Sterling Olympic Challenger,( a 4 channel pattern ship)
it was touch and go at first, but as soon as I was able too get a grip on how fast the roll rate was, I was grooving down the runway at full throttle!

now with that said, my 18 year old reflex's where only a few years old, "ok I was a lot younger"
Aug 20, 2013, 09:20 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskykid
here's where the rubber meets the road as the say!

ok a 30cc KATANA "can be" a 3D machine, if the controls are set-up too what I will call an IMAC tune, it could be a great sport plane.

with that said, if that is the road you know you want ta go, then by all means, but do keep the throws down, and have someone experienced help you with your set-up, and test flights!

I went from a SIG KADET Jr,(3 channel) too a Sterling Olympic Challenger,( a 4 channel pattern ship)
it was touch and go at first, but as soon as I was able too get a grip on how fast the roll rate was, I was grooving down the runway at full throttle!

now with that said, my 18 year old reflex's where only a few years old, "ok I was a lot younger"
Thanks for your help

BTW i will get a seagull swift 40 trainer this weekend .. it will be my first fixed wing plane , i hope it will be easy for me
Aug 20, 2013, 11:19 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_rc
I have a buddy box but i dont like it ... i ordered a simulator and i should recieve it these days because i think better to learn on simulator and then fly without buddy box
Hate to rain on your parade, but while the sim will be very beneficial to learning and gaining muscle memory in your fingers, once you fly a plane you'll realize the sim and a plane are worlds apart. In the real world you'll have to deal with weather and other factors that are impossible to program into a sim on your home computer. Add in a plane that is completely out of trim and you'll have your hands full.

If you have access to an instructor and a buddy box then definitely make use of the knowledge an instructor will provide - especially on a maiden of an airplane along with your first flight. Who ever put the notion that you would be better off without a buddy box and instructor is somebody to keep away from. You'll be concentrating so hard you'll be mentally exhausted after about 3 flights of 10 minutes. Also have somebody video tape your first flights and take the time to review them and post them.

Take a look at this video a buddy shot of my maiden of an Avistar .46 Elite. One of the worst things to happen during a maiden is for the engine to quit less than 3 minutes into the flight . There is no second guessing on what to do in this situation - it has to be an instinctive reaction to just fly the plane. This is why you need to have an instructor and a buddy box. I'm planning on using this plane to give aerobatic instruction after I rebuild the engine.

Hogflyer
Aug 21, 2013, 09:00 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogflyer
Hate to rain on your parade, but while the sim will be very beneficial to learning and gaining muscle memory in your fingers, once you fly a plane you'll realize the sim and a plane are worlds apart. In the real world you'll have to deal with weather and other factors that are impossible to program into a sim on your home computer. Add in a plane that is completely out of trim and you'll have your hands full.

If you have access to an instructor and a buddy box then definitely make use of the knowledge an instructor will provide - especially on a maiden of an airplane along with your first flight. Who ever put the notion that you would be better off without a buddy box and instructor is somebody to keep away from. You'll be concentrating so hard you'll be mentally exhausted after about 3 flights of 10 minutes. Also have somebody video tape your first flights and take the time to review them and post them.
Take a look at this video a buddy shot of my maiden of an Avistar .46 Elite. One of the worst things to happen during a maiden is for the engine to quit less than 3 minutes into the flight . There is no second guessing on what to do in this situation - it has to be an instinctive reaction to just fly the plane. This is why you need to have an instructor and a buddy box. I'm planning on using this plane to give aerobatic instruction after I rebuild the engine.

Hogflyer

Mmmm i didnt think about the weather conditions and these other factors that you are talking about .

I'm not sure if i will use a buddy box with my instructor or not but at least he will be beside me in emergencies but that sounds important

Sorry to hear that story about your plane :/ i hope it doesnt happen with me also because my engine is pretty old
Aug 21, 2013, 07:31 PM
Crashing is flying, you will crash, just depends how many while you train. I have lost 6 aircraft in 5 months, one was a 50 size corsair the flew less than 30 seconds due to it being a maiden and dead stick right after take off.
Aug 24, 2013, 07:29 AM
The reason we tell you to go the buddy box route with an instructor is because we hear this all the time. "I want such and such plane cause it looks cool." How hard can flying be, I can go it alone. Then we never hear back from them. Its possible to teach yourself, but you make the same mistakes that others have made which usually result in a crash. Better to benefit from an instructors experience and learn how to do things the right way. There is a difference between a pilot and a airplane driver. One other thing, make sure the instructor is qualified.
Edwin

Quick Reply