Nov 02, 2013, 06:01 PM
@chanyote66 Tell me more about these LiON battery packs. I'm experimenting with a new motor from Pulso that I will need either 8S or 10S and weight is a concern now. The 6S is of interest too for my regular guys flight ops. Pushing it however with this new motor and keeping a 13" prop pulling about 1.2-1.5Kg thrust at under 3 amps is where we are currently. We need the voltage to keep the torque up, hence the bigger battery needs. PM me.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2013, 06:16 PM
Has anyone decided to use the APM autopilot system for their Talon project? If so, could one explain how to setup the Talon for the Futaba T8FG radio. Does one need to setup the radio as Normal *1Ail or Normal V-Tail *2 AIL/*1 AIL. Currently using the FY-41AP which is very easy for setup but would like to use APM for my second Talon. Set the radio up as Normal 1 AIL and select V-Tail in the system.
Nov 03, 2013, 09:41 AM
Disregard....I've managed to figure it out. The APM is a great control unit but one must explore extensively to program it for proper use.
Nov 04, 2013, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceKold
Disregard....I've managed to figure it out. The APM is a great control unit but one must explore extensively to program it for proper use.
You should contact the guys at 3DR. They have a few of these that they have been playing with. They have set them up to fly with the APM I am certain. They should be able to share the setup files for the plane.
Nov 05, 2013, 11:49 AM
wac
wac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucc10
I've got almost an hour flight time on my Talon now. Flying a Tiger Motor 2826-550 KV with one 6s 5000mah mid ship and one 6s 5000 mah at the nose firewall with a APC 12x6 and my Gopro in the case in the clear bubble nose and she balances perfect and really glides nicely and has really good slow flight characteristics with about a 21-23 mph stall speed. I cut the power about 100 yards out before landing and glide in from about 40 feet no problem and she greases it on grass or at the beach. My longest flight time so far was about 15 minutes (LOS) on a couple of occasions and all cells were reading above 4.05 still. Installing my first FPV system this week. Looking forward to it. I find this plane to fly about as easy as the Radian except she goes over 55 mph with this set up as well. I've got some crappy quality LOS and nose vids I'll put up when I have a chance. Good luck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHZ_AB-XkvU
It looks like you have some stabilization on the video and if thats the case im wondering what kind are you using?

wac
Nov 05, 2013, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Has anyone decided to use the APM autopilot system for their Talon project? If so, could one explain how to setup the Talon for the Futaba T8FG radio. Does one need to setup the radio as Normal *1Ail or Normal V-Tail *2 AIL/*1 AIL. Currently using the FY-41AP which is very easy for setup but would like to use APM for my second Talon. Set the radio up as Normal 1 AIL and select V-Tail in the system.
I was going to build up a Talon with our Ruby Autopilot however I'm still working on an X7 with it so the Talon might be a few more months. If you wanted to try a Ruby on the Talon, I'm sure Jim and I could support you. The firmware we have for other platforms should work pretty well out of the box with this Talon plane. Feel free to contact me with any other questions.

Clay
FliteEvolution.com
Nov 05, 2013, 08:13 PM
Thanks Clay. I currently have the Ruby installed on the Penguin V2 that Jim helped me with, but wanted to use one of my spare APM units on the Talon project for mission planning with the use of the FY-G3 gimbal system. I have the APM fully functioning but thought someone may have a very good APM config file out there to try out. I'll be spending time fine tuning for perfection....I use that word lightly.

Thanks again Clay.
Nov 05, 2013, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac
It looks like you have some stabilization on the video and if thats the case im wondering what kind are you using?

wac
I sure am WAC. I tried a free program called virtual dub.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualdub/

You load a deshaker plugin and let it pass over the raw vid. Then when I uploaded it to YouTube they offer to stabilize the vid again there so I did it and it made the ground cam pretty stable also for an iPhone handheld vid plus I guess that was a second shot of stab in the plane. Before that I just threw it together raw in windows movie maker after cutting bits in the gopro program. Filmed on a gopro3 at 720/60. Hope that helps.
Nov 05, 2013, 10:18 PM
This is the easiest airframe I have ever tuned with APM. You should have it dialled in first flight. PID will always be different for all airplanes but start with stock pid and it will fly OK then use the live graph to tune roll and pitch then throttle and you are off to the races

Quote:
Thanks Clay. I currently have the Ruby installed on the Penguin V2 that Jim helped me with, but wanted to use one of my spare APM units on the Talon project for mission planning with the use of the FY-G3 gimbal system. I have the APM fully functioning but thought someone may have a very good APM config file out there to try out. I'll be spending time fine tuning for perfection....I use that word lightly.

Thanks again Clay.
Nov 05, 2013, 11:16 PM
Anyone interested in a Mini Talon?
Nov 06, 2013, 07:12 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfpvmodel
Anyone interested in a Mini Talon?
WHATTT!!!!

That thing is awesome! my wife is gonna kill me

That would be perfect for a mobius gimbal in the nose like a baby version of mine now!
Nov 06, 2013, 07:16 AM
So Iv pulled my Fy-DOS out and just installed my MyFlyDream AP!

This thing is awesome! I wish I had one for all my aircraft... But I have to wait for my other OSD/AP's to slowly sell off

Name: 20131106_065107[1].jpg
Views: 370
Size: 178.9 KB
Description:
Nov 06, 2013, 07:43 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66
WHATTT!!!!

That thing is awesome! my wife is gonna kill me
That would be perfect for a mobius gimbal in the nose like a baby version of mine now!

hahahaha LOL.

p.s.
What makes that FlyDream OSD have great reviews?
I thought FlyDream was a knock off from Skylark? I read somewheres'
that Hmerly is using that FlyDream OSD also. Skylark has very
so-so help with their customers.

I may get one and put in the Talon
Latest blog entry: My FAVORITE FPV CockPits'!!!!
Nov 06, 2013, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1
hahahaha LOL.

p.s.
What makes that FlyDream OSD have great reviews?
I thought FlyDream was a knock off from Skylark? I read somewheres'
that Hmerly is using that FlyDream OSD also. Skylark has very
so-so help with their customers.

I may get one and put in the Talon
what makes it better?

Support, I have had all questions and requests answered within a day or two!
It has many nice features not seen on many AP systems like launch assist where it can lock the aircraft into a specific angle for launch and hold that until you move the elevator...

I had the dianmu by skylark, and this system is much better! it has way more features and so far is more reliable!

Chris
Nov 06, 2013, 10:02 AM
Chanyote666, I must agree with you....support is what sold me on this as well as the features. Not to hijack the Talon thread...this unit seems amazing as an all-in-one. Mine just arrived from China yesterday (4 days). Currently installing on the Skyhunter since both my Talons have Fy-41AP and APM. Can't wait to truly compare, but so far its very simplistic.

Quick Reply