Sep 22, 2013, 09:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle
Suggestion.......if the legs had a curve at the bottom, it would allow them to slide more easily in case you touch down with any lateral movement. Also it would give them (the wire gear legs) more of an ability to act as shock absorbers to soften landings.
I actually tried to do this, but when a curved bottom hits the ground, the lateral force was too much for the attachment point.

Quote:
the LEDs will get brighter on the opposite side of the saucer than the direction that it will be moving. That may be the only way to set it up. I was thinking that if you reverse that relationship, then the saucer would get brighter in the direction that it will be headed.
In the current setup, the LEDs should be slightly brighter in the direction it's moving, because the foward side has a slight bit of aerodynamic downforce while the back side has a bit of aerodynamic lift.

What should happen when the saucer starts to move is, at first the back LEDs will brighten as the back EDFs are throttling up to give it a forward tilt, then all LEDs return to equal brightness as all the EDF run at the same throttle while the saucer is maintaining the tilt to accelerate, then forward LEDs brighten to level it off when it get up to the right speed.

Though, I suspect it won't work this way, because the throttle responses to the wind will probably be more visible than what it does on its own.

Quote:
I hope that made sense. LOL Cool project, Good luck.
Yup, thanks.
Last edited by goduranus; Sep 22, 2013 at 10:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2013, 09:49 PM
Lee Liddle
Well, just throwing out some food for thought. Good luck. I`m looking forward to some flight video.
Sep 26, 2013, 08:32 AM
Thread OP
Almost there, just a few more final adjustments.
Sep 28, 2013, 12:58 PM
I don't mean to be critical, but shouldn't a flying saucer actually, well, fly? If it doesn't fly, wouldn't be more accurately described as an interesting table lamp rather than a flying saucer?

What I mean is that you've spent a lot of time on the lights, landing gear, etc. without knowing that your idea will get off the ground. Were this me, I would probably concentrate on making it fly first, then add the bells and whistles (and cool lights).

Daren
Sep 30, 2013, 03:15 AM
Thread OP
I know!

I went for a test flight just now and it flew beautifully. Six EDFs with no proptip vortices gave it an ecstatic swoosh.Took off straight up at 65% throttle. It flew much more stable than my XA-650.

Had some trouble though, for some reason the WKM was stuck in Manual Mode?(indicator yellow-green), so I couldn't take my hands off the remote to take you guys a video. Even had a minor crash as I couldn't manually reduce horizontal velocity to zero during landing, cracking the top a little, nothing some glue won't fix.

No video, no proof, you say!
Well, I'll take some pictures of it flying and a video as soon as I get GPS mode working. Hopefully within the week.

Edit: The Yellow-Green flash is from a recent firmware update, tells the user to recalibrate the compass. I did that and it's now ready to fly.
Last edited by goduranus; Sep 30, 2013 at 04:24 AM.
Sep 30, 2013, 03:23 AM
Well done! I bet you're pleased. Can't wait for the video.

Steve
Oct 01, 2013, 10:30 AM
Thread OP
Had another flight. Again got compass problems(blinks red after calibration). I am going to send the GPS unit back to the dealer to have a check.

I took off without GPS and kept it close, had a minor crash when the power got cut, because the solder on the T-plug melted dang!

My buddy took some photos, but didn't get a good video.
Last edited by goduranus; Oct 01, 2013 at 10:41 AM.
Oct 01, 2013, 10:46 AM
Pile-it
Awesome!!
Oct 01, 2013, 10:54 AM
Lee Liddle
Just fly it over the city and there'll be lots of video on the news LOL.!!

Looks cool!!
Oct 01, 2013, 04:40 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
No video no proof of flight

I've seen PLENTY of doctored UFO sightings to know what photoshop can do

BTW - too cool. awesome project
Oct 05, 2013, 01:01 PM
I have been rooting for this project I thought it was highly original and just plain cool. I hope those shots weren't photo shopped it would be a shame its just way too cool...

EW
Oct 06, 2013, 10:06 AM
Why not just a daytime video of it in flight, to show how it performs?
Looks like the TV Lost in Space saucer - Jupiter.
Oct 06, 2013, 10:19 AM
I agree. this is a really cool project I hope we do see some real flight video soon. I wonder if a EDF Jupiter 2 would be possible. If u used a single fan unit under the bottom and left the front window open for inlet air to the fan if that would work. I'm not sure how you would control it though. Interesting idea...

Cheers,

EW
Oct 07, 2013, 08:12 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
That is sweet! It will probably scare the pants off a few on a dark night! Have you been able to switch the way the lighting illuminates as you guys talked about earlier in the thread? Like a servo reverser?
Oct 07, 2013, 09:20 PM
The last update posted was Oct 1 about a week ago so not too long ago. I do hope the designer/builder is ok and is on vacation or on business travel or...?

Quick Reply