First build and a micro - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 15, 2013, 02:30 PM
Crash Expert.
Discussion

First build and a micro

Ok peeps so I really want to try to build the smallest rc plane I can.
Not sure on the type although maybe a scale bipe or a pusher type trainer plane.
This will be my first build so please be gentle with me, I need help advise etc.

This is gonna go slow (or not go at all) without any help from you experienced designers/builders

I use a Spektrum DX6I for my usual flying so I went and got a DT rx 43. I went for the 4 channel 3 x actuator rx. Eventually a miniature 3d beastie ? .

So reading the instructions and seeing other info on these forums its 11 ohm which is minimum but somebody has gone too 60 ohm and it works fine. Would It be best to get ready made actuators or try to build my own ?

Do I want a direct drive or a gearbox drive powerplant, 4/6/8 mm motor ?

So i'm sorry that's a lot of questions but all help/suggestions/words of wisdom appreciated

I think if I can make a basic micro plane then I will be happy
to remove ads between posts
Aug 15, 2013, 03:48 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
id say start with an se5a biplane. very stable. buy a mini act and a 6mm gearbox.
use rudder and throttle control to be simple.
Aug 16, 2013, 01:52 AM
Free foamie low waste plans

Models

I just wondered if you would consider anything from my site for your first build? I know there are many great kits and plans out there, but mine are intended for the novice builder. You'll need to determine your own Rx/motor placement etc, but that shouldn't be too big an issue and I'm happy to give any help I can.

Plenty of bipes, and you won't waste too much material

Mark
Aug 16, 2013, 10:53 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
yeah, id second airlights sugesstion.
most of the difficulty is in the cutting and assembeling.
a kit would be idea . you get to build, and the parts are perfect with all the data like CG placement, thrust angles, Etc worked out for you.
Aug 16, 2013, 05:03 PM
Crash Expert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airlight
I just wondered if you would consider anything from my site for your first build? I know there are many great kits and plans out there, but mine are intended for the novice builder. You'll need to determine your own Rx/motor placement etc, but that shouldn't be too big an issue and I'm happy to give any help I can.

Plenty of bipes, and you won't waste too much material

Mark
Ive looked at your first bipe plan from the A5 section of the plans, I am liking the look of it. Still researching for power plants and actuators. I am thinking the Plantraco 0.4g microact but I am also thinking to maybe attempt to make my own. I can't decide on the power unit, maybe a parkzone mini vapor .

Also i'm thinking about smaller depron, I have a sheet of 3mm depron so maybe a hotwire cutter to slice it down the middle to aprox 1.5mm. The smallest depron in my lhs is 2mm so i'm not sure.

More answers and questions. Its fun doing the research.

Airlight,
I printed out your first bipe plan from the a5 section on your site. I printed 2 sizes off wingspans 138mm and 209 mm. I have made a paper version of the 208 mm to see if I done a correct build. I'm unsure on the wing spars if I used the correct templates, they seem to be too long. And also the tail assembly, is that correct ?
Last edited by Wingslayer; Aug 17, 2013 at 02:29 PM. Reason: more info
Aug 17, 2013, 12:56 PM
About the Ohms, 11Ohms is the lowest you can go. 60 ohms is fine because it is a greater resistance. Anything under 11ohms is bad, like 8ohms etc.
Aug 17, 2013, 01:26 PM
Crash Expert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartza
About the Ohms, 11Ohms is the lowest you can go. 60 ohms is fine because it is a greater resistance. Anything under 11ohms is bad, like 8ohms etc.
Thanks for that, it was still a little unclear to me. So can you go wrong the other way and have too much resistance/ohms

I received my DT RX 43 the other day. soldering those pads....no thankyou. I sent the RX to the guy who makes them, for a very reasonable fee he is going to supply and solder on micro connectors. That's piece of mind knowing I can not/will not melt my new RX As it was, the RX's weight was 0.35g so I guess the connectors may take it to a gram, I can live with that for the convenience. Also i'm not trying to break records, I just want to try to make a small fun plane.
Aug 17, 2013, 02:53 PM

A5 bipe plans

Thanks for looking at the plans. If you mean the very top biplane, I wouldn't have thought it needs to be less than the 2mm depron it was designed for, but it's your choice. You'll need to alter the slots according to any thickness changes you make though. The fuse is very flexible, especially where the elevators have been removed, so you will need to rod/strip it or add some lightweight covering to maybe add torsional stiffness as well.

It flew well as a chucker, and needed only minimal nose weight. If I was to make a suggestion though, it would be to keep to just a 20-30 mah lipo and the smallest motor you feel ok with,definitely not bigger than 6mm, preferably 4 (I was looking at using a 4mm pager motor with a half prop, but needed a lot of time to test out the thrust, which I didn't have). The kit I had from plantraco/micron radio control was way too big to fly this, mainly my battery choice (being a novice), and I wouldn't put more than 2 microacts on this at the most, but again, your decision. Think of most of the kit being around/forward of the mid wing and I think you'll be mostly there. I don't think I have pictures of this one or you could have them to help out.

I'm happy to help with anything build wise, but I think there are many wiser here kit wise or if you have trouble setting up the controls. If you need anything, let me know.

Edit: Sorry, was so busy trying to post that I missed your picture additions. The tail is right, you'll need to bar across the elevators on build though (toothpick?). Omission apology: The wing is intended to be mounted up on the struts, slightly forward as determined by the slots positions, but I built in the pair of 'wheel struts' to connect the fuse to the wing instead, to bridge the gap given by the length of the wing struts. Sorry, old plans, not taking the time to update. If I was doing this again, I might go for something like unbent paper clips instead, a little more rigid and not as prone to breaking. If my materials seem a bit low tech, this is my thing I'm afraid, up-tech as you see fit.

End edit :/

2nd edit:

Sorry, why are you getting 209mm? Remember not to print 'scaled to fit', only 1:1, no scaling.

End edit:/

Good luck with everything.
Last edited by Airlight; Aug 17, 2013 at 03:25 PM.
Aug 18, 2013, 04:35 PM
Crash Expert.
I made a 138mm wingspan from ordinary packing foam sliced with a hotwire with a slight alteration to the top of the fuse. The prop is from a hubsan x4 just for show. Guitar string for the landing gear with in the ear foam plugs cut down for the wheels. This is just a rough model, although it does glide ok (without the prop) with a little weight on the nose. I tried to hotwire the 3mm depron I had but it just warped badly from a small test piece. For the final build I will use the 2mm depron and maybe sand down thinner for the control surfaces.

I'm still researching for the powerplant and actuators. The Nano Stick gearbox and motor look good for the price but I could not find details on the size of the motor, ohms etc. I think it maybe too big overall.
Aug 18, 2013, 05:17 PM
Gary
Ear plug wheels! Love it.
Aug 18, 2013, 05:30 PM

Micro man...

This is tiny, even smaller than the original plan, yes? The model looks like you didn't cut the elevators from the rear fuse, correct?

Have you looked at the mrc site, with the nano actuators and hinge actuator? If you're going this small, you might want to think about building the actuator into the wing. I hope your hand is steady.

The motor page has a 4mm or the gearbox if you want to go slowfly. This could solve some problems for you, but you still need to mount the motor, what do you have in mind?

I'm looking back at this plan now. It was the second bipe I did, but the first was awkward, so it never made the site. I might have another go at this, see how it turns out. I'm not as brave as you though, so I'll stick to either the original scale or go up to A4 to give myself a chance with my kit. Either way, good stuff, I'm interested to see how this goes for you.
Aug 19, 2013, 07:18 AM

Update on plans

Wingslayer, I just went over these again and made some mods to incorporate the new format and some slight changes to the layout to make it a little more flyable (I think). The pdf will only link to the new file, so if you still need the old one, pm me or post and i can send it. I've shown the fuse 'bridge' in the middle, so you actually still have the wheel 'struts' (error in previous post).

As you are taking this on, I had a set of very lightweight spoked wheels 3D printed for this, if you'd like you can have them. I can post a piccy first if you want a look. I have a few sets, destined for the super tiny ones when I can build them RC.

I think I'm going to have another go at this, so if it's ok with you I'll post on here? I'm not sure if I can take it to RC unless I go upscale, but I'll see. Need the more micro kit than mine really.

Let me know about the plans/wheels.
Last edited by Airlight; Aug 19, 2013 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Added plan link
Aug 20, 2013, 03:52 PM
Crash Expert.
Hi Airlight the mods/changes sound very interesting and by all means please post on this thread for the bipe in question. Wheels sound interesting too. So yesterday i'm in town and visited Modelzone which is closing down. Balsa wood was 1/2 price so i went and picked 3 different sizes. I made the fuse of the bipe going with a 20mm width (beam). The sides which i cut from the same modded pattern and the bottom piece from the nose runs paralel then tapering at the tail to nothing. I just thought i would try a differnt material as it was cheap Anyway its a bit hard to explain but Currently not at home atm but i will post pics tomorrow.
Aug 21, 2013, 02:41 AM

Here you go...

Here's the pic of the wheels. I think they would be ok up to something from the A5 plans with rc kit attached. You can't see on here, but there's a hole in the middle, just needs clearing out to the appropriate axle size, I always assumed something like a paper clip, about 0.8mm? I have a micro drill, so this can be done if you want some, not offended if not. They are a bit rough round the edges, but I was trying different things. Next step is to buy a 3d printer myself and start printing kits

I'll be interested to see it built from balsa, I didn't have this in mind when doing the designs, hence the template size. I might have a go at something to fit a standard 3 or 4 inch sheet, see what comes out.

Regarding other bipes, did you notice number 4, about 3 down from the Warthog? This has a slightly different planform, with a different double fuse and slightly bigger wing area. You might want to shorten the tail plane slightly, I think it may be a little much, but can't think of anything to cram in here. Just a thought.
Aug 21, 2013, 03:49 PM
Crash Expert.
Heres the balsa model i started, please be gentle as its my first time using this wood and indeed doing any kind of carpentry since...along time. It is weighing 1gm (my scales only do 1 gm increments) so maybe 1.9 gm ?
Airlight those printed wheels look sweet and can easily be cleaned up.

I got my DT RX 43 back soldered with 1.27mm pitch sockets + plugs to match (very quickly done and posted back Thank you Mr Theunissen )

Quick Reply