This thread is privately moderated by bhoov128, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 21, 2014, 10:26 AM
Thread OP
Is the brake circuitry plugged into the brick, do you know? Or is it soldered onto some pads?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2014, 08:38 PM
The king of mediocre flyin'!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoren
The UMX Radian ( 2 weeks since it was released to the LHS's ) uses a AS5430L 5 CH with AS3X

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ian-SPMAS5430L

My wife's going to kill me.

b
Apr 22, 2014, 01:26 AM
BMFA 190658
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128
Is the brake circuitry plugged into the brick, do you know? Or is it soldered onto some pads?
Matt confirmed that the brake is integrated into a separate ESC which is next to the board.

Tony
Apr 23, 2014, 03:20 PM
Last edited by Thoren; May 06, 2014 at 08:24 AM.
Apr 23, 2014, 03:22 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot
Matt confirmed that the brake is integrated into a separate ESC which is next to the board.

Tony
Yep, saw that post... what I'm wondering is where the separate ESC is connected to the main AS3X board. Is it plugged into a channel, or does it plug into the normal ESC output port, where the motor would usually plug in?
Apr 23, 2014, 03:43 PM
Last edited by Thoren; May 06, 2014 at 08:24 AM.
Apr 24, 2014, 05:56 AM
Technomancer
Quote:
The UMX Radian ( 2 weeks since it was released to the LHS's ) uses a AS5430L 5 CH with AS3X

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ian-SPMAS5430L

The compatibility chart for the SPMA3060 programmer is out of date and of course doesn't show the AS5430L

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/SPMA3060#t6

and

http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/SPMA...lity_Chart.pdf

So how does one find out if the 5430 is incompatible? I've done all the WIN7 tweaks, the software finds the ComPort OK but I can't download ( read ) the OEM setting and I get a "No Respond!". I'm using the old PL2303 2007 version confirmed in device manager, all the blinking lights are as expected to indicate it is in program mode and the TX has no control. So I don't think it is a WIN7 issue.

I've emailed HH Product Support too and await a response.

Thanks... Alan

BTW, valiantGLX ... great stuff on all your work in the UM/UMX world. This is my first UMX as I normally fly 2, 3 and 4m sailplanes but have been having a blast with this Radian UMX.
Many thanks for your kind words sir.

You make no mention of activating the xport, have you tried that?
Apr 24, 2014, 08:19 AM
Last edited by Thoren; May 06, 2014 at 08:23 AM.
Apr 24, 2014, 08:23 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
That is exactly what HH came back with when they got confirmation from Spektrum that the Radian UMX and SPMA3060 where compatible. It's raining here to day so we will have another go at it today. I think I just didn't wrap my head around the instructions that came with the SPMA3060 and these great UMX threads.
and appreciate all the nuianced instructions as this is my first UMX and first experience with DSMX. Taranis and Turnigy 9X running FrSKY with OpenTX is my norm but I have the OrangeTX module for those TX's and it works great.

I think I got too excited that I was able to get the ComPort running with WIN7 and the 3060 when others seemed to have so many issues. I thought I just needed to plug the 4 pin plug into the RX once all the light blinks okay after the UP/RIGHT Stick routine.

We'll get back hopefully with the dump of the OEM configuration for the Radian UMX
Talk about issues. My Win7 machine that I originally had working with all of these instructions begain ignoring my USB programmer, and I've had a bear of a time resetting it.

It did however work flawlessly on another computer of mine so there's no issues but this device is definitely finicky in the most irritating of ways.

Horizon, if you by some chance are following this... a little more support on the programmability would be awesome, even if this brick is destined for a phase-out and it'll be replaced with one of the fancier models programmable by your phone. I have lots of original version AS3X bricks, and I love scratchbuilding!!
Apr 24, 2014, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtront
I didn't reset xport back recently (not after using a blank model). However, back in post #103 I did do it with no changed effect. Also, I think others have been successful in using the switch when xport still active.
That said, it's worth giving it a try now that all my trims and subtrims on all channels (except throttle) are zero.

That said, if anyone else has ideas, please keep them coming.
Sincerely, R.
Ok, so I tried putting the XPORT back to normal. I can upload and download settings to the brick with confirmation. However, even with all the trims centered, and trying switching with either motor on or motor off, Ch. 5 switching on/off does not work. In fact, no stabilization at all (whereas with on/off not active programmed, I can get nice stabilization.
But again, any ideas would be helpful.
I'm glad I'm not the only one having this issue, including a guy who can program some of his models for switching and not others.
Perhaps it's just a very old microBeast board?
Or, is it possible that when it powers up, the switch has to be in a particular position for switching to thence work?
Thanks, R.
Apr 24, 2014, 09:36 PM
Last edited by Thoren; May 06, 2014 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Fixed URL
Apr 25, 2014, 06:48 AM
Technomancer
Quote:
That is exactly what HH came back with when they got confirmation from Spektrum that the Radian UMX and SPMA3060 where compatible. It's raining here to day so we will have another go at it today. I think I just didn't wrap my head around the instructions that came with the SPMA3060 and these great UMX threads.
and appreciate all the nuianced instructions as this is my first UMX and first experience with DSMX. Taranis and Turnigy 9X running FrSKY with OpenTX is my norm but I have the OrangeTX module for those TX's and it works great.

I think I got too excited that I was able to get the ComPort running with WIN7 and the 3060 when others seemed to have so many issues. I thought I just needed to plug the 4 pin plug into the RX once all the light blinks okay after the UP/RIGHT Stick routine.

We'll get back hopefully with the dump of the OEM configuration for the Radian UMX
I use the good ole ar6400 manual for all um and umx bricks same rules apply more or less. I google ar6400 manual and click on the first pdf that pops up.

Do not have anything plugged into the xport when programming the rx with your TX. Hold the sticks in position until you get 3 blinky lights. It helps if you get someone else to power up the plane while you hold the sticks in position. Also make sure you're using the correct TX mode commands (mode 1 or 2).

Good luck
Apr 25, 2014, 10:08 AM
Thread OP
If you don't have someone else to help with stick postitions, I use my neck strap wrapped around the bottom of the tx holding the stick in the proper position. Keep your hands & arms away from the prop when you're plugging in the battery just in case it decides to go full throttle. I made a little foam tail brace which I put the tail feathers into and tape down to my coffee table when I do the job... and point the plane at the front door so if anything goes awry it'll fly into a puff of foam 10 ft away

Never have had a problem yet but caution is always best!
Apr 25, 2014, 10:15 AM
Last edited by Thoren; May 06, 2014 at 08:23 AM.
Apr 26, 2014, 09:09 AM
Awesome Thoren, let is know if you manage to assign ch5 to enable/disable the AS3X on the UM Radian.

If so I'll be grabbing one of those USB adapters right away.

Cheers
Tim

Quick Reply