Taranis Hardware and Software issues discussion - RC Groups
Aug 12, 2013, 09:17 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
Discussion

Taranis Hardware and Software issues discussion

Hi guys, here you can discuss hardware and firmware problems that you think you might have with your TARANIS.
I've been following the other thread and I have the feeling that issues are not very welcome there as the people reporting them are being discredited and basically told to shut up..
There you must only report how good and grandious the Taranis is
AND IT IS. Don't take me wrong. It is excellent as far as I know.. OpenTX and er9x (9x and ersky platforms only at the moment) firmwares are just one the best things that happened to the RC community recently.. The capabilities of this radio are just amazing.
Ok, here we can discuss those problems without going off topic.. Bashing and trolling will not be tolerated, so please only nice and piecefull discussions. You are all very welcome to discuss possible issues and find solutions for them. I hope frsky will also monitor this thread as it is intended to help finding issues that can be corrected and also discussing improvements. They know their radio is good. they don't need to read it all the time they need to know about issues

Again, It's my wish to keep this thread pieceful, Please take that into consideration before posting.

Piece,

Joćo
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

WARNING!
As discovered on the opentx forum,
The max voltage into the Taranis charge jack should be 13.5vdc with 12v being correct.
This input goes into a constant charger circuit and does not allow for external fast chargers/charging! One user not knowing hooked up his external smart charger and unfortunately has damaged his Taranis where it's no longer working correctly.
It's not a battery issue.
Please, only 12vdc into the charge jack and fast charge the pack externally with some form of inline adapter that fits the battery connector how ever you decide to do it.
I hope this word gets out to everyone before any more radios are damaged by attempting to use to charge jack with anything other that the provided 12v PS or a proper 12 vDC source.
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Useful links.

http://www.alofthobbies.com/

http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-taranis.html

OpenTx for Taranis manual

http://code.google.com/p/opentx/wiki/OpenTx_FrSky_EN
Last edited by jhsa; Aug 15, 2013 at 07:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2013, 10:04 AM
Um, I'm too lazy to look back for them, but weren't there actual FrSky reps watching the original thread? Can we get them to make their presence known here?
Aug 12, 2013, 10:49 AM
I did put a link there..
Aug 12, 2013, 11:47 AM
So in a classic dumb move, I set my Taranis on the table beside me on the bottom end....standing upright, worked on my computer and then swung my rm around and knocked the tx over. It landed on the front. Broke the arm off SwC and bent SwB. Does anyone know of a source for a long handled 3position switch with a paddle shape.

I'ld like a stronger and more heavy duty toggle/handle.

As I said this was purely and simply my fault.
Aug 12, 2013, 11:53 AM
Why don't you contact wayne at alofthobbies?
Also my guess is that futaba switches would work.. but this is just a guess and you could get them from your LHS. Might be a bit expensive though
Aug 12, 2013, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa
Why don't you contact wayne at alofthobbies?
Also my guess is that futaba switches would work.. but this is just a guess and you could get them from your LHS. Might be a bit expensive though
Wayne says I good supply of spares seems to be some weeks away...his business is less than an hours drive for me. I've had FaceTime with him a couple of times. Great guy!

But I want a more robust switch. Will search for Futtie switches. When I mentioned this to along time FutHead, he says he has broken his switch also.

But I'll have a look.
Aug 12, 2013, 12:14 PM
I doubt you can find a switch robust enough to survive the lever absorbing impact.I snapped two on my A9 in one fall.
Aug 12, 2013, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug
I doubt you can find a switch robust enough to survive the lever absorbing impact.I snapped two on my A9 in one fall.
I'm sure you are correct. As I said it was a dumb move. Now I've got a balance handle mounted and use Scott Pages "condoms" on the sticks when I put it in the case.

I just want a little better feel to the long handled switches. The sliders being loose and the long handled switches are my only (very small) complaints.

I love this TX overall.
End of subject.
Joao, keep this thread purer if you can. Its a good idea.
Aug 12, 2013, 01:08 PM
That is my wish..
Last edited by jhsa; Aug 12, 2013 at 01:14 PM.
Aug 12, 2013, 09:07 PM
Rusty
It is unlikely that these are better quality but they are available, cheap!
Aug 12, 2013, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Nail
It is unlikely that these are better quality but they are available, cheap!
On order....my backup position.
Thanks
Aug 12, 2013, 10:04 PM
Lou
Lou
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDmbThms
Joao, keep this thread purer if you can. Its a good idea.

You can try Mouser and see what they have ..

http://www.mouser.com/_/?Keyword=sps...switch&FS=True

Look at the side of the switch and get its specs or ask Wayne what you should get.

As for keeping it 'purer', should not be a problem as long as those that have a problem are not shouted down by those that can't bear to hear that there are problems with the Taranis. That is what happened in the other thread. Someone go mad, left and took their toys with them. Others followed and guess what ... the thread calmed down. The problem left. Just saying.
Aug 12, 2013, 11:24 PM
60 years of RC flying
Could we just stick to "Taranis Hardware and Software issues discussion" please.
Last edited by Daedalus66; Aug 13, 2013 at 07:39 AM.
Aug 13, 2013, 05:02 AM
Yes please.. or if going off topic.. something constructive

Joćo
Aug 13, 2013, 11:42 AM
I don't even want to use the C**** word on the other forum so I came here. Regarding the sticks, does tightening the springs generally help, or generally make things worse on the Centering issue? I want to tighten my springs, but don't want to make things worse. It's ok if it doesn't make it better though. Switching between my dx6 and my Taranis, I find the stock spring settings a little light on the Taranis.