Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
Thread Tools
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:45 AM
3flyguy3 is offline
Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Registered User
3flyguy3's Avatar
Question

DX8 lipo


What do you guys suggest using for lipo for a DX8?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:27 AM
skyhawkdc is offline
Find More Posts by skyhawkdc
watch this
skyhawkdc's Avatar
I have one of these in my DX8 ,, long time between charges,, the charger that comes with the radio will charge it.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ter_Pack_.html
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:42 AM
3flyguy3 is offline
Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Registered User
3flyguy3's Avatar
Was looking at the one. US warehouse is out of stock. Not sure if it's better to just wait or order from international.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:50 AM
grimbeaver is offline
Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Registered User
Pulse has one now too. Bit more then HobbyKing but in the USA and cheaper the Spektrum:
http://www.helidirect.com/plutx-4000...tx-p-30656.hdx
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:48 AM
creelmt is offline
Find More Posts by creelmt
Registered User
I've been using the same pack as skyhawkdc for about 5 months -- like it a lot!
Old Aug 12, 2013, 05:27 PM
TreeDiver is online now
Find More Posts by TreeDiver
BrainFart RC-Pilot
TreeDiver's Avatar
Is it still possible to charge with the wall charger of Spektrum, delivered with the DX-8?
Or do you need to use a lipo charger?

The manual is not clear on this subject.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 06:35 PM
skyhawkdc is offline
Find More Posts by skyhawkdc
watch this
skyhawkdc's Avatar
I have one of these in my DX8 ,, long time between charges,, the charger that comes with the radio will charge it.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:28 PM
grimbeaver is offline
Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Registered User
In the radio you set it to Lipo and then you use the wall charger that came with the DX8. Changing the setting also adjusts the low voltage warning and % left gauge. Main difference with the lipo is the light on the tx actually turns off when it's done. On the nimh I seem to remember it just keeps charging forever.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:46 PM
tanasczn is offline
Find More Posts by tanasczn
Registered User
Was looking at the one. US warehouse is out of stock.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:11 AM
TreeDiver is online now
Find More Posts by TreeDiver
BrainFart RC-Pilot
TreeDiver's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
In the radio you set it to Lipo and then you use the wall charger that came with the DX8. Changing the setting also adjusts the low voltage warning and % left gauge. Main difference with the lipo is the light on the tx actually turns off when it's done. On the nimh I seem to remember it just keeps charging forever.
Thanks for the answer.
On the DX-8 the upper led (logo bars) are indeed on while charging. I did not notice it went off or changed colour when full with nimh. But I just have this DX-8 a few days, do my second charge now.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 09:59 PM
desertstalker is offline
Find More Posts by desertstalker
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeDiver View Post
Thanks for the answer.
On the DX-8 the upper led (logo bars) are indeed on while charging. I did not notice it went off or changed colour when full with nimh. But I just have this DX-8 a few days, do my second charge now.
They dont go off when charging NiMH, the charger just keeps going. There is only a cutoff for the LiPo and it is in the pack rather than the TX.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 04:01 AM
TreeDiver is online now
Find More Posts by TreeDiver
BrainFart RC-Pilot
TreeDiver's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
They dont go off when charging NiMH, the charger just keeps going. There is only a cutoff for the LiPo and it is in the pack rather than the TX.
Hi, yes indeed. I found out. It keeps on charging, which is no problem with NiMH if the charge rate is not too high. The wall charger is 0.5
amps. Depending on what is inside the Spektrum NiMH pack, 1C continues charge is no problem. I estimate that it gets 0.1amp per cell, so should be no problem .

I wonder what is inside the 4 NiMH Spectrum pack. I guess, no Sanyo enerloop.
Switching to LiPo, I am not sure yet if that makes sense.
First I have to find out how long the transmitter can be active using the regular Spektrum NiMH. I am not a glider flyer, so 1 day flying without charging should be possible?
Last edited by TreeDiver; Aug 14, 2013 at 04:14 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 08:46 AM
grimbeaver is offline
Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Registered User
Can't seem to find any statement but I would assume the stock nimh would last at least 10 hrs. The other thing though is those Spektrum nimh packs don't have the best reliability record.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 09:52 AM
TreeDiver is online now
Find More Posts by TreeDiver
BrainFart RC-Pilot
TreeDiver's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Can't seem to find any statement but I would assume the stock nimh would last at least 10 hrs. The other thing though is those Spektrum nimh packs don't have the best reliability record.
10hrs of active use... that is 'allot'
Well, let's see how it goes. I went from a heavy MC-19 with 3300 NiMH to the DX-8

I always can put enerloops inside of it if the base pack is disappointing.
If they have the older 2500 Sanyo inside of it... wise to replace very soon. Because they are 'crap' quality.

4000 LiPo is of course way cool, but charging it using the stock wall adapter...eek...
LiPo charge needs balancer connection to my opinion. If the build in 'overcharge' protection fails..........
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:04 AM
grimbeaver is offline
Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeDiver View Post
4000 LiPo is of course way cool, but charging it using the stock wall adapter...eek...
LiPo charge needs balancer connection to my opinion. If the build in 'overcharge' protection fails..........
Very low C battery and very slow charge/discharge rate it won't become very unbalanced. I don't see how charging with a standard charger with a balance connector is any less dangerous then charging this inside the tx. Both have an equal potential to malfunction.

Hangtime Hobbies (aka No BS batteries) has an Eneloop DX8 pack for $29.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale DX8 w/ 8ch R/X, 6ch R/X, telemetry module, lipo, and case fastjetadic Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 4 Apr 17, 2015 08:53 PM
Found Turnigy 4000 MAH Lipo DX8 Transmitter Battery Mr Big Head Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 1 Feb 02, 2013 11:51 AM
Sold Spektrum Dx8 and Dx7s 4000mah lipo upgrade Johnnymeg Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 1 Jan 26, 2013 10:25 PM
Sold Like new Spektrum DX8 with Alum Case/Spektrum Lipo. $285 Shipped ton2di Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 1 Jan 15, 2013 03:57 PM
Sold [SOLD] - DX8 Turnigy Lipo Battery Wynn1427 Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 3 Jan 10, 2013 11:45 AM