This thread is privately moderated by Number2, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 11, 2013, 08:46 PM
It got away...
Thread OP
Discussion

Work in progress

Here is the quadcopter I have been working on, and flying for a little while now. It is a Dji Flamewheel f450! I bought it RTF from http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/quads.html because I had no knowledge of anything but toy quadcopters. Did not want to spend and mess up something as nice as a flamewheel. My next will definitely be a build! (far from now)

I decided on a flamewheel because it seemed like one of the most well known companies that made a versatile frame and had great features! I also did not want 10-14 different quadcopters in my house, and I figured the flamewheel could keep me occupied for a while.

I changed out the stock receiver which did not have Preset Failsafe on every channel. Put an Orange receiver with a satilite port so I have key safety features! Works really well but I have not played with distance too much yet. I am currently using 3s lipo's, 1 2200 mah zippy pack. 1 4000 mah venom 3s lipo with a crappy charger that somehow gets it done. This is my next move, buying a hyperion or thunder power charger that can charge 4s lipos. 4s is that way to go apparently!

I purchased the quad in mid may and have been flying without the gps option until now. Tomorrow I should be installing the gps and a 3d printed gopro mount, and a 3d printed compass protector! I am really excited for the next couple months becuase I will be buying fatshark goggles and fpv equiptment, maybe dji osd and get to the fpv flying and recording! It has been a slow and exciting process and still will take some time, but I look forward to sharing video and footage of Colorado and other places I may travel!

I love talking about Quadcopters, and I am very new to the hobby so I love suggestions, comments, anything from other pilots is welcome! Lots of credit to everyone in the owners forum, I am gaining knowledge from those guys daily! I hope to update very soon and show pictures with the new gps, and other parts! Cheers!

Update: Flew with installed gps and gemfan CF props. Gps unit seemed to work great after flying for a few minutes. I Also noticed where I had small wobbling in previous flights it was eliminated! I believe the props did this. I did not test Return home function, course lock, or home lock. The field was wet, so I set the home spot on a small wooden bridge. I figured there was a chance it would land on the edge and just did it myself. I Actually need to set up home, and course lock. I think I need to calibrate it in the field and bring my computer to plug into the naza assistant but I am not totally sure. If you know feel free to help me out.

-Andrew
Last edited by Number2; Aug 29, 2013 at 11:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply