Aug 11, 2013, 03:32 AM
Thread OP
New Product

Grouse House Technologies NEXt-Gimbal

Grouse House Technologies NEXt-Gimbal - Full carbon fiber brushless motor gimbal for NEX-5 sized camera's.
Possibly the lightest NEX sized camera gimbal you will find on the market. Completely assembled with two brushless motors and control board/IMU, the entire gimbal weighs only 370g.

It's bad enough that you want to lug a weighty camera under your multi-copter, but why triple the weight of the camera with a complex G10 or aluminium brushless motor gimbal?

No compromise in strength was made here - all the interlocking 2 and 2.5mm thick parts could only be broken apart with a hammer or a lot of manual force. Very minimal use of screws also helps to keep the weight down. It's like a cleverly designed "Ikea" flat pack - but without all the screws.

A pitch bearing takes the strain off the pitch motor and provides a more rigid structure to hold heavier cameras.

The camera platform has two height positions you can choose from to allow for taller cameras. Mix that with the four large 2mm thick carbon fiber washers to aid in finding the vertical balance point and to increase the strength of the connection point on the platform (via the supplied 1/4" camera screw). This can then be further refined by cutting cardboard disks and inserting them with the CF disks (thin cork disks will also be supplied in kits starting next week).

Fore/aft pitch balance is achieved by moving the connection point of your camera fore/aft on the slotted platform. Roll balance can then be set by simply loosening the screws on the roll motor and sliding the assembly left or right.

A noteworthy feature of this design is that it can be customised to any size in the future. As an example, if you want to customise the gimbal to be wider, we will offer an affordable service to create a camera plate and back plate of any specific width, and you just replace those specific parts without having to buy a completely new gimbal. Same for length - if you have a long camcorder, you just order longer side arms for the roll assembly, and they will fit directly onto your existing gimbal parts. You may also have a very tall camera - once again, you just place an order for taller pitch side supports.

The peg and tab system makes this a cinch. The one gimbal can be reconfigured to specifically suit any number of cameras/camcorders you just so happen to own.

This specific design supports connection to dual 12mm or 10mm diameter rods 59mm apart (X650/Tarot type design and others). Other connection designs are possible - just contact us with your requirement and we can design any connection solution for your particular needs. The benefit of this connection design is that it allows the entire gimbal assembly to be shifted forward or backwards on the overhead dual rails to achieve the perfect balance on your multicopter. Other designs bolt to one spot and rely on pushing the battery way out the back to get the correct balance (not to mention having to play with the battery position when using different sized batteries). We will also be selling universal tall landing gear that can be retro-fitted to practically any multicopter which can open up your payload carrying capabilities, as well as vibration absorbing options between the landing gear and the multicopter.

Check out the gimbal on our store - http://www.grousehousetechnologies.c...ully-assembled

Also checkout the Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/GrouseHouseTechnologies

Existing owners of the NEXt-Gimbal can discuss the product here. Tips and links to video guides will appear soon.
Last edited by eheheh; May 13, 2015 at 06:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 11, 2013, 03:55 AM
hey John, so finally I can see some real pictures of the gimbal, looks great! I still haven't got mine, I guess it got caught by customs
Aug 11, 2013, 05:56 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyy
hey John, so finally I can see some real pictures of the gimbal, looks great! I still haven't got mine, I guess it got caught by customs
Hey Stano,
Registered via Australia Post is much the same speed a regular air mail, only you get confirmation that the item was posted. Their web site claims 3-10 days in general but that does not take into account delays with customs. Unfortunately the only tracking option for Australia Post Zone 7 countries is Express Courier and that is 4x more expensive. Oddly Australia Post only support Pack and Track to NZ, UK and USA. So in this case we have no idea where it is in the world right now. Hope your customs don't have any issue with camera gimbals? I did read on the list that they prohibit toys. Don't think you could classify this as a toy.

Also, I have a link to the construction guide video I am working on here -
(22 min 4 sec)
Aug 11, 2013, 09:05 AM
the only problem with customs is the shipping delay and VAT which I will have to pay... Let's hope it will arrive next week
Aug 12, 2013, 04:27 AM
Thread OP
DIY 200mm tall landing gear which can attach to practically any multicopter and works perfectly with the NEXt-Gimbal are now available in the store.

Also available is the Martinez V3 boards with MPU6050 IMU.

http://www.grousehousetechnologies.com
Aug 12, 2013, 04:41 AM
Thread OP
I've also ordered a CNC router so I can start offering some customisation for customers. One question that has come my way was if I could rig it up to allow quick rotation of the camera between landscape and portrait, so I am looking into a design that will allow you to do this.
Turn around for customisations should only be four days rather that three weeks and lots of $$$ getting it done in another country. Also a big time and money saver in the long term for creating prototypes.
Really looking forward to learning all about CNC routing.
Sep 05, 2013, 12:10 PM

My GHT gimbal

I am finishing my build of this great gimbal. I have not flown it yet, just completed and did some hand tests. I was wondering what is its weight together with camera and controller. It is around 700 grams. I do not have very good scale, so I just used kitchen scale

I think it is pretty light when common gimbals, like for instance Falcon BL gimbal from FoxTechFPV weighs 790 grams alone (without camera)

I am sorry for bad photos made with GoPro only.

I am going to make some flight test this weekend if it's not raining.
Last edited by alek3d; Sep 06, 2013 at 02:30 AM.
Sep 06, 2013, 02:14 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Alek!
Any idea what the 5N weighs on its own?
Sep 06, 2013, 02:25 AM
It should be 269 g just body, 326 g with 16 mm lens, 405 g with 18-55 mm kit lens. I did not weigh it as I do not have that precise scale at home but I will double check in my wife's shop where they have precise scale. But the numbers should be about the same.

The weigh of the gimbal+motors+camera in my configuration is with 16 mm pancake lens, so the camera is 326 g and gimbal 374 g, which basically corresponds with your statement above that gimbal weighs 370 g.
Sep 06, 2013, 06:28 AM
These are the pictures of my GHT gimbal.It is more or less balanced, but in order to get rid of roll vibrations when using high D, I had to play a bit with IMU location.
I will try to make some videos during weekend...
Sep 08, 2013, 03:19 PM
Today I made a test flight. Looks like there is no jello, which was my big worry, so I am really happy. Here is the test video as is, no cuts. Long and boring and there is nothing special to see except the performance of the gimbal. I was flying madly pushing the machine to the limits, and bashing the sticks violently. Just wanted to see what it looks like. I think the result is amazing and if I will fly gently I can get really nice video.

Thanks to Stanleyy who mentioned the placement of the sensor really matters a lot. My first attempt was a fail with lots of shakes. The sensor was behind the camera at the back of the pitch plate. Then I moved it and placed it onto the camera, where the flash goes. It was immediately 100x better, no shakes. I am pretty close now...

GHT gimbal flight test (7 min 47 sec)
Last edited by alek3d; Sep 08, 2013 at 03:42 PM.
Sep 08, 2013, 03:27 PM
alek: just set the camera to 1/100 shutter, shoot in 50p mode and jello is no issue at all NEX5 is no Gopro...
Btw. I did first test with GHT gimbal today - needs more tuning on pitch axis, but getting there...
Grouse House Technologi​es NEX5 gimbal maiden flight (3 min 56 sec)

(there is nothing interesting in the video, this was only my 3rd flight with FY680 and first test of GHT gimbal).

btw. Alek, what city is it on your video?
Last edited by stanleyy; Sep 08, 2013 at 04:03 PM.
Sep 08, 2013, 03:44 PM
stanleyy, this was shot in 1080p 60 fps mode. Not sure about shutter speed. I will check that out, is there special setting for the video mode too? I am quite new with Nex5.

The location is Presov, my home town.
Sep 08, 2013, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alek3d
stanleyy, this was shot in 1080p 60 fps mode. Not sure about shutter speed. I will check that out, is there special setting for the video mode too? I am quite new with Nex5.

The location is Presov, my home town.
Presov, didn't recognize it now to the shutter speed: there is one important rule you have to remember: the shutter speed must be approximately 2x higher than the frame rate. If it is too high, the video looks unnatural and the motion is jerky. It is pretty bad especially when doing panning.
The other extreme is low shutter speed - then the video is blurry.
I think for us in Europe it is best to set the video format to 1080/50p and shutter speed to 1/100.
Sep 08, 2013, 10:33 PM
Thread OP
YES!!!!!
Finally I get to see my product get airborne!!!
I am so over the moon to see customer's putting up their video's. I cannot thank you guys enough.
Certainly interesting that you also came to the conclusion that the sensor works best attached to the top of the camera with a small piece of double sided tape.
Can I also suggest a thin smear of silicone over the 5x17mm CF shaft on the pitch assembly. The bearing it sits in has a little bit of a gap around it and at certain vibration frequencies it rattles in that bearing (fairly sure I heard that on Alek's video). And as you can see, the rubber grommets provide just enough vibration absorption without letting the gimbal wobble about. The other mount design I am testing uses a CF/PU Gel sandwich that is screwed tight to still be firm while still soaking up the vibrations.
Stano, for some reason when I play back the video it goes black just after I see you wearing the FPV goggles. Could just be on my pc?
Cheers again guys!

Quick Reply