OpenAeroVTOL with transitional mixers (perfect for VTOLs)
OpenAeroVTOL V1.5 Released!
V1.5 .hex files uploaded for KK2.1 (KK2.1.5 + KK2 Hard Case) and KK2.1 Mini
Thanks again to Ran D St. Clair for help with the latest tweaks to the code, testing and of course, all the documentation.
Documents are in the files section below.
Updates from V1.4
- Added HoTT SUMD serial protocol support
- Fixed DSMX reception format bug
- Fixed compatibility issue with EMAX ESCs
OpenAeroVTOL V1.4 Released!
V1.4 .hex files uploaded for KK2.1 (KK2.1.5 + KK2 Hard Case) and KK2.1 Mini
Huge thanks to Nicholas for making the new GUI possible. It would have taken twice as long to complete and probably be twice as ugly without him, if it was completed at all.
As always, many thanks to Ran D St. Clair for all his considerable help in the latest tweaks to the code and of course, all the documentation.
Documents are in the files section below.
Updates from V1.3
- Enhanced altitude control
- Excel based GUI support
- Buzzer ON/OFF feature added for HC users
GUI Support now available
See GUI thread for more details.
OpenAeroVTOL V1.3 Released!
V1.3 .hex files uploaded for KK2.1 (KK2.1.5 + KK2 Hard Case) and KK2.1 Mini
Documents are in the files section below. Many thanks again to Ran D St. Clair for all his considerable help.
Updates from V1.2
- Added 7-point Throttle curves for P1 and P2 including GUI.
- Added 7-point Collective Pitch curves for P1 and P2 including GUI.
- Added 7-point Universal input curves, Generic Curve C and D Including GUI.
- Support for X-Bus Mode B/UDI serial input as used by Jeti.
- Separate control for inbound and outbound transition rate when using internal switched transition control.
- Added percentage of transition control for Low, Med, and High state when using internal switched transition control.
- Added I/O Display (Monitor).
- Added 7-point offset curve in place of the previous 3 point curve with movable center point.
- Increased Roll Trim: and Pitch Trim: power in Profile menus by 10X.
- Added Alt. damp: as an input selection in P1 and P2 Source A and B.
- Changed AccRoll and AccPitch to AccX and AccY in P1 and P2 Source A and B.
- Added custom channel order menu.
- Increased the I-Rate range from 4 – 240 degrees/sec. to 7 – 1,840 degrees/sec.
- FC no longer disarms on loss of signal.
OpenAeroVTOL V1.2 Released
V1.2 .hex files uploaded for KK2.1 (KK2.1.5 + KK2 Hard Case) and KK2.1 Min
See files section below. Many thanks again to Ran D St. Clair for the manual.
Updates from V1.1
- Support for 24 possible board orientations.
- Support for Auto Level in both P1 (Hover) and P2 (FFF)
- Simplified setup for Tail Sitters including Vertical Airplane Reference and Earth Reference.
- Vibration meter for dynamic balancing of motors and propellers.
- AL Correct (Auto level Correct) range linearized and scaled to read in seconds.
- Can now bind with all DSM2 and DSMX receivers in 1024/2048 resolution and 11ms/22ms rates.
- Now properly supports SBUS2 protocol. (To date it would have ignored 3 out of 4 packets).
- Added Multiplex channel order.
- Alt. damp: and IMU outputs now shown on the sensor display.
OpenAeroVTOL V1.1 Released
V1.1 .hex files uploaded for KK2.1 (KK2.1.5 + KK2 Hard Case) and KK2.1 Mini
See files section below. Many thanks again to Ran D St. Clair for the manual.
Updates from V1.0
- Removed all KK2.0-specific code.
- Add AL(Roll/Pitch) to universal mixers.
- Added automatic eeprom upgrade functionality.
- Added high-speed PWM mode. Only works with S.Bus, Satellite and Xtreme.
- Low-voltage alarm changed to "OFF, 3.2V, 3.3V, 3.5V, 3.6V, 3.7V, 3.8V" and nominal voltage auto-calculated
- LED indicates ARMED
- Made level meter show more representative feel for AccLPF.
- Changed AccLPF settings and text to better match each other.
- AccLPF settings now identical to MPU6050 settings and are now floating point
- Target A.Servo rate changed to 65Hz~70Hz to reduce variation.
- Removed start-up beep. Menu beeps less annoying.
- Made I-terms vary with loop period.
- Xtreme support is back.
- Added user selectable presets (QuadX, QuadP, Tricopter, Blank).
- Updated calibrate logic to be more robust.
- Fixed mixer bypass logic to speed up calculation.
OpenAeroVTOL V1.0 Released!
V1.0 .hex files uploaded for KK2.0, KK2.1 (KK2.1.5 + KK2 Hard Case) and KK2.1 Mini
See files section below. Many thanks to Ran D St. Clair for his tireless work on the manual.
OpenAeroVTOL is a completely new branch of firmware for the KK2.0 and KK2.1-type boards.
What this can do is provide two stabilised setups AND mixers for say, horizontal and vertical flight, and a method of merging seamlessly between them based on either an external input (a tilt servo for example) or on a user-selectable timer.
Think of it this way. You all, I'm sure, know about flight stabilisers for quadcopters, and also for aeroplanes, and yes their setups are a world apart.
But, your VTOL aeroplane needs both, not a compromise. This is what OpenAeroVTOL can do.
1. Transitional Mixers – If you have an application where aileron becomes rudder, or a similar sort of “axis translation” the OpenAeroVTOL will get you smoothly and in control from one flight mode to the other.
2. Full Transition Control – You have full control of the transition with an analog input. You can transition at any speed, in any direction, at any time. You can also set up a timed transition with the flip of a switch.
3. 8 outputs, all with the same functional capabilities.
4. 5 inputs in PPM mode, 8 inputs in CPPM, SPPM and S.Bus mode.
5. 3 point curve for offset adjustment. You can separately trim Hover, Slow Forward Flight, and Fast Forward Flight on each output, and transition smoothly between them.
6. 2 point curve for PID and Acc adjustment. You can smoothly change stability feedback values as you transition between Hover and Fast Forward Flight on all 3 axis.
7. 2 point curve for Volume/gain adjustment. You can smoothly vary control throws as you transition between Hover and Fast Forward Flight.
8. Safety Features – Arm and Disarm options that are compatible with all aircraft types.
9. Maximum Flexibility – This is not a “Tell me what kind of aircraft you have” type of interface. It is a “tell me what you want each output (servo/ESC/etc.) to do” type of interface.
10. Off the Shelf KK2 hardware, available for about $30 from HobbyKing.
11. No PC required (except for initially flashing the board). Full configurability via the included LCD interface.
12. No programming (code) required. Only configuration via the LCD display and the menu driven interface.
13. Gyro and Accelerometer based stability, no magnetometer, GPS, or pressure based altimeter.
The older OpenAero2 thread for non-VTOL aircraft
NASA's Greased Lightning GL-10 project uses OpenAeroVTOL
Here is Ran's XC-142 flying with OpenAeroVTOL
Ran's "Winged Utility Vehicle"
Here is Ran's VTOL-FunCub
Here is Jstjern's Flying Wing/tricopter
Here is Rene's amazing Pogo
Bob P. just made a very interesting X-wing tail-sitter that flies beautifully in both hover and forward flight.
For those interested in the code, you can see it at the following repo.
For those experimenters amongst you, I've started a thread for the OAV GUI.
Read the warnings carefully.
OpenAeroVTOL is a open-source project and is free, however it is also the result of many hundreds of hours of hard work.
If you feel motivated to donate to the project please feel free.
FilesView all Files in thread
Last edited by HappySundays; Nov 16, 2016 at 11:38 AM.
I am very interested. I am using the KK2 in my VTOL projects, including the VTOL Trainer. The stock KK2 code works very well for me, but it could be even better. The only thing I really need is to turn off the pitch, roll, and yaw inputs, as well as the pitch, roll, and yaw stabilization when in full forward flight. In other words, just straight throttle control. It sounds like your code can do that and much more. I can be a tester if you want.
Ran D. St. Clair
Last edited by Ran D. St. Clair; Feb 18, 2014 at 05:11 PM.
Thank you for making this available, and free is such a good price that we have no right to ask for more, but...
I hope you have some documentation on how to do the download, including whatever cable is required. I also hope you have a way to get back to the factory original code if something doesn't work as planned.
One of the reasons I use the KK2 is because it just works. There is no code to download, no sketches to modify, no hardware to kluge together, and then debug, not even a PC interface app to get running or a PC communication cable. The minute you get a PC involved you have all manner of obscure browser compatibility issues and god knows what else to block your path. I am an EE who works with computers all day and I still hate that stuff.
I know, it's the price you pay to be on the bleeding edge of technology, but I personally don't have a lot of toerance for it any more.
None of this is your fault, or even your problem, but if the entry barrier is very high it just won't happen.
Thank you again for making it available though.
As mentioned above, the wiki for OpenAero2 is linked on the main forum. V1.3 is not yet documented but will be updated in the next couple of days.
I normally insist that details on reprogramming the KK2 board is out of scope purely from the sheer weight of the online guides and even videos on the subject that clutter the Internet.
However, here are the basics.
Programmer: HobbyKing sell a programmer suitable for any Atmel design for $4.75 here --> http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...occessors.html
Firmware update tool: The one recommended for beginners is LazyZero's tool available here --> http://lazyzero.de/en/modellbau/kkmulticopterflashtool
Of course this also gives you the ability to upgrade your standard KK2 firmware to the much improved V1.6 etc...
Update: a moment on google surfaced this guide --> http://mattrude.com/wp-content/uploa...hing-Guide.pdf
Last edited by HappySundays; Aug 09, 2013 at 08:20 PM.
I have just added an embarrasingly thin description of the transitional setup in V1.3 to the main Wiki at the link below.
If you are new to OpenAero2 - do not start here - instead read through the V1.2 User Guides etc starting at the links at the top of the left-hand side of the Wiki page.
Cant wait for V1.3
Get out of here!
I just posted a thread today looking for the solution to your very proposal.
I for one can wait for the perfected V1.3 .....its now been 7 years since I gave up with the wholly grail of an economical light FC onboard mixing to solve this dilema...another couple months or so wont kill me.
Finally its going to happen on a simple kk2.0 at last.
My Bicopter Plane back in 2005 (gyros only) performed well without any changes when flying from hover to 45 deg.
WHEN PERFECTED THEY WORK FANTASTIC.
YouTube- vtol rc kingsley see mine hover fly loop and land.
The outdated specifications are on RC Group thread- Vtol electric twin osprey V22 similar -page 5 post #73)
BUT from 45deg to the horizontal forward flight was never perfected with all that gyro interaction not being cancelled out...and yaw roll reversed etc etc.
I hope you dont have too many crash tests to get it all nailed.
I always tested only one simple change at a time to avoid picking up pieces and I still had some rather scary flights.
All the best HappySundays ..I lied...I cant wait for your results....
The HobbyKing programmer recommended above is no longer available. The one at this link appears to be the recommended option:
Or the delux version for $8
I can't say for sure that it works, I just ordered one. Perhaps someone can confirm/deny.
Last edited by Ran D. St. Clair; Aug 15, 2013 at 10:08 AM.
|Category||Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Discussion||Functional VTOL with transitional flight both ways||bastian74||VTOLs||28||Feb 25, 2017 07:03 AM|
|Discussion||Build thread for V-22-esque Bicopter with full transition capabilities||ilektron||VTOLs||36||Jun 10, 2014 10:43 PM|
|Discussion||Pike Giant wings work with Pike Perfect fuse?||Tonyatrre||Sailplane Talk||1||Apr 21, 2013 11:39 PM|
|Sold||Nitroplanes Bobcat 51 fixed gear version, started with some work done, not perfect||MustangAce17||Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W)||3||Apr 17, 2013 05:48 PM|
|Sold||Lot, 1 perfectly working MCX2, plus 1 MCX2 with problems||bradymartin||Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W)||0||Mar 03, 2013 11:11 PM|