Aurora 9X - FAQ - Page 9 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 12, 2016, 03:33 PM
Thanks.. So what I did today was to setup on the bench and not use the model. I bound a new RX to my TX which is the master with the same TX model that we have been trying. First attempt nothing. The master works no problem but no slave. So I started fiddling with the cables. One cable is older and the other brand new purchased with my students TX. So while holding the buddy switch down I began turning the connector. I did get intermittant movement of the slave TX. After a bit more fiddling I got a solid link. So without moving either TX I then reset both and tried to move a model over from mine to the student TX. Worked like a champ.

The end result is that the side contact in the tx uses a very weak spring. I checked both to see if one was bad and both the same tension. So I cleaned both sets of connectors and tried again. Much better but still a bit dodgy. So I cleaned my internal TX connector which is older than my students which is brand new. Once I did this I got solid connection and wriggling the connectors on either unit did not break the connection.

So it comes down to the fact that the TX jacks contact spring being soft can cause this issue. So what looks to be happening is a buildup of some kind on the contact that is weak and it must be cleaned occasionally to make these suckers work. So after using two Hitec cables to check this it comes down to the TX connector contact.

Thanks for all your help. It sure looked like a procedure or data error glitch out at the field. Hope this effort helps anyone else who may run in to similar issues.

Cheers

PS.... Why does transferring a model from one TX to the other cause the receiving TX to have its last model used over written? This also happens on the A9. Would it not be smarter that your developers automatically create a new model. I lost a complex model when it did this.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 13, 2016, 07:49 AM

Aurora 9 vs 9x comparison

I am definitely a aurora 9 lover. I currently own three 9's and two 9x's. Both have different advantages. If you are an intermediate flier then the 9x's faster speed does not help much because of the slower reaction time. The useful new feature for me was the SLT mode which means you can fly any Tower SLT aircraft and the simulater. The bad news with the A9x is the much shorter battery life. So much so that I felt the need to charge between flights.
The Aurora 9 has a much longer battery life. About twice as long. I do not use a lipo main battery as I like the capability to charge the battery without removing it. I always plug in the Aurora after a days flying; which can be up to 8 flights of up to 12 minutes.
My favorite receivers are the Minima 6E and 6T. They have long range and are relatively inexpesive.
Dec 13, 2016, 10:47 AM
Team Hitec, Customer Support
The reason the battery doesn't last as long in the 9X is because the 9X has 2 processors instead of the 1 processor the 9 has. I use a Pulse 2s 3600mah rx battery in my 9X and it lasts for months. Sofar I have only charged it a grand total of 4 times this year and the transmitter has been used dozens of times.

http://www.taildraggerrc.com/plurx-3...-power-series/

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer
Thanks.. So what I did today was to setup on the bench and not use the model. I bound a new RX to my TX which is the master with the same TX model that we have been trying. First attempt nothing. The master works no problem but no slave. So I started fiddling with the cables. One cable is older and the other brand new purchased with my students TX. So while holding the buddy switch down I began turning the connector. I did get intermittant movement of the slave TX. After a bit more fiddling I got a solid link. So without moving either TX I then reset both and tried to move a model over from mine to the student TX. Worked like a champ.

The end result is that the side contact in the tx uses a very weak spring. I checked both to see if one was bad and both the same tension. So I cleaned both sets of connectors and tried again. Much better but still a bit dodgy. So I cleaned my internal TX connector which is older than my students which is brand new. Once I did this I got solid connection and wriggling the connectors on either unit did not break the connection.

So it comes down to the fact that the TX jacks contact spring being soft can cause this issue. So what looks to be happening is a buildup of some kind on the contact that is weak and it must be cleaned occasionally to make these suckers work. So after using two Hitec cables to check this it comes down to the TX connector contact.

Thanks for all your help. It sure looked like a procedure or data error glitch out at the field. Hope this effort helps anyone else who may run in to similar issues.

Cheers

PS.... Why does transferring a model from one TX to the other cause the receiving TX to have its last model used over written? This also happens on the A9. Would it not be smarter that your developers automatically create a new model. I lost a complex model when it did this.
Interesting, nobody here has heard of this issue yet so I'm inclined to believe this may be a rare/isolated instance. You can always send the Tx's into us and we can check and repair them if you would like.

The 9X has the ability to either overwrite an existing model on a 2nd 9X or create an entirely new model on the 2nd 9X. Sounds like you selected the overwrite function instead of creating a new model.
Latest blog entry: The Pilot Yak Saga
Dec 13, 2016, 11:09 AM
Never got any message about over writing? It just had the receive/send option. I'll check this out again and see what comes up. We may have just missed it. Regards the connectors. No time to send in due to contest schedule. I'm thinking that it may be a little dust that gets into the trainer port and coats the sleeve. I'll keep on top with cleaning occasionally and try and find a rubber plug to cover the hole.
Dec 13, 2016, 11:43 AM
Objects in mirror are losing
I routinely get 4 hours flight time on the 9X using the supplied battery. I did recently order a replacement Eneloop pack from Batteries America for an additional measure of safety.
I've found the supplied wall wart peak charger does not fully charge my packs. As I mentioned, it's still good enough for 4 hours of use but I recommend cycling the supplied pack on a real charger now and again.
Dec 14, 2016, 06:47 AM
They Call him Dead!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000MPH
I routinely get 4 hours flight time on the 9X using the supplied battery. I did recently order a replacement Eneloop pack from Batteries America for an additional measure of safety.
I've found the supplied wall wart peak charger does not fully charge my packs. As I mentioned, it's still good enough for 4 hours of use but I recommend cycling the supplied pack on a real charger now and again.
What is your voltage after 4 hours?
Dec 14, 2016, 07:33 AM
Objects in mirror are losing
Hmmm, I've never noticed it below 7.0v but honestly, I usually set it to % so I don't confuse it with the Rec'r voltage. I will check more carefully next time out.
Also, I'm reminded that I've set the backlight to only a few seconds and vibration has been turned off...but I doubt those use much.
Jul 03, 2017, 08:46 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
...I use a Pulse 2s 3600mah rx battery in my 9X and it lasts for months. Sofar I have only charged it a grand total of 4 times this year and the transmitter has been used dozens of times.
I also get very long usable charge times from an Optima 9 Rx and A9X. Rx battery is a 5 cell / 6 volt Enerloop (NiMH) pack, 2800mAh. Can use it weekend after weekend on a single charge, I check it each time but it just doesn't need charging. Clearly the drainisn't much. This is with 3x 5485HB servos (std. digital) and 2x cheap analogue mini servos for ailerons. I'd heard the newer digitals were improving for current drain and it's gotta be true of these ones. Helps that they're over-spec'd for this model so they're under minimal strain, I guess.
Jul 05, 2017, 09:23 AM
Team Hitec, Customer Support
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardW
I'd heard the newer digitals were improving for current drain and it's gotta be true of these ones.
Just depends on the servo, not all digital servos are the same. The HS-5485HB in particular only draws somewhere around 1/2 amp under load and if you have it in an application that isn't hardly straining it then it will draw less current. Sounds like you have the latter.

http://hitecrcd.com/products/servos/...-servo/product
Latest blog entry: The Pilot Yak Saga
Jul 05, 2017, 11:28 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
According to that page these servos are well and truly more than the model needs (60-sized trainer, AUW just over 6lb) but I got them in a package deal with the 9X and Optima 9. For the price they were very welcome, and they might be "Hitec's most economical std. sized dig. servos" but they're not bad at all. As you say with a 6V pack they'd be under little strain, but it's to their credit that they're not current hogs regardless. It's a nice kit of gear, still glad I chose it.