Aug 06, 2013, 05:12 PM
Thread OP
FAQ

Aurora 9X - FAQ

Aurora 9X have arrived
"We just got them so they should be shipping worldwide shortly. - Mike."
Have been retailed in UK past couple of weeks.

----------------------------
21 Sept 2013 added:
. Aurora 9x - Manual .pdf

-----------------------------

Good review with many photos/Screenshots:
. "Kanoh's Model Sailplane Workshop"
= http://model-sailplane.sakura.ne.jp/aurora9x-02.html (Japanese text, use Google translate in need)
= http://model-sailplane.sakura.ne.jp/...etting-01.html = Aurora 9X for Orion E - shows screen shots of setup

================================================== =

Aurora 9X - History and FAQ to date:

31st January 2013
Aurora 9X
Only photos currently available, still await full details.
(These were the original box cover photos)

Alan T.
================================================== ========

02 Feb 2013
Aurora 9X
. Aurora 9X further information. quote:
"Ok guys... I'll answer any question I can but some insight into our thought process first:

The Aurora is an incredible platform but fell short in some areas...
The 9X shores these areas up and allows for even further enhancements where
the current radios memory was capped out.

1. Performance:
a. 4096 resolution (4 times better/ 2X better than Futaba and Spektrum)
b. Dual processors (one for programming, one for RF)
c. Re Engineered signal processing so the Optima RX performance is twice as fast (19ms frame vs. 41ms)
d. New Maxima RX's (Non Telemetry) have a 7ms frame which outputs all channels simultaneously for
the absolute minimum latency. (FBL version in the works)

2. Case design:
a. Slimmer back with integrated stylus pen.
b. Vibration warning in rubber grip
c. Battery connector uses J plug (no plugging in backwards)
d. A & D switches are now 3-pos.

3. SLT: This is built in and selectable. With this protocol being open, any manufacturer could offer models compatible with it.

4. Head tracking: The 9X will not support this.
11June13” While I was told that the A9X would have this capability, it did not work in our pre-production samples
so I asked our engineers to look at this more closely.
The conclusion is that it is a hardware issue due to the fact that the Aurora trainer interface had to be backwards
compatible with the older Hitec radios, so unfortunately it will not be head tracking capable. My apologies! - Mike.”

5. Binding/protocol select: Built into the programming... no pushing buttons (except of the RX.)

6. Programming enhancements:
a. 7- point curves on all mixes
b. Stick activated switches
c. Swash ring (Kinda late of this one)
d. There's more, but I'm not listing everything.

Essentially, our goal was to update an already awesome product and not to change the category it was in by adding things
that would significantly add cost.
Note that the current A9 will not be discontinued.
I am very pleased with the updated version and while it might not be a big enough jump for some to change, it does
address the shortcoming of the current radio and allows us to compete better with any high performance radio on the market today regardless of cost.
Yes, we know that some wanted more channels but at this time, that was not possible and what % actually can use more
than nine anyway?
The Aurora essentially changed the landscape of the radio market and the 9X will be a tremendous bang for the buck
offering higher performance, resolution, speed, and versatility for the future to further change that landscape! Mike"

with more under
Post 2

Alan T.
02 Feb 2013:
Latency
FYI: The reason the A9 latency has high was because of the decoding on the TX side from the gimbal to output the signal.
The single processor also had to operate the programming and the signal where now they each have a dedicated processor.
The 9X eliminates this cutting the frame rate with the Optima RX in half (Down to 19ms.) When using the Non telemetry
Maxima RX, the Frame rate is even lower at 7ms (Actually tested at 5.5ms!) - Mike.
========================================

07 Feb 2013:
Aurora 9X
. " My goal is find a way to allow the A9 to continue to grow as well,
and there are many things that could be removed but we'll have to see. Another thought is maybe a board swap for a fee...
I'm not sure if it's possible though? - Mike.
Some screenshots from the new Aurora 9X provided by Mike are attached hereto.

Alan T.
Aurora 9X Screen shots x 12

========================================

08 Feb 2013
Stylus
You asked for a stylus and were heard...

Alan T.
===========================================
15 Feb 2013
Aurora 9X Tower show ETA mid May 2013.

Hitec Aurora 9X TX/Maxima 9 RX/TX NiMh Batt/Charger = $490
Hitec Aurora 9 TX/Maxima 9 RX/TX NiMh Batt/Charger = $490

Hitec Product Catalogue 2013 currently available is in two parts due to max ,pdf file sizes permitted when transferred,
displays the Aurora 9X , looks like the Tower dates will be met:.

. Hitec Product Catalog 2013 #1 5.44 mb - pages 1 < 27 Transmitters, Telemetry Chargers and some servos.

. Hitec Product Catalog 2013 #2 8.27 mb - pages 28< 43 Servos and accessories.

Alan T.

02 Mar 2013
Q & A
Q. ORIGINAL: farr301 On the 2013 catalog pdf, the Maxima 9 receiver, which will come with the 9x, says
"Only Digital servo required.' Does that mean that this receiver only operates off digital servos?
A. Yes, refresh rate to high for analogue.
However, Aurora 9X users do not need to use the non telemetry Maxima receivers,
Aurora 9X also uses the existing Optima transceivers or Minima receivers and achieve better results with those also..
Doubt analogue servos will be made by any manufacturer for much longer. - Alan T.
================================================== =====

03 March 2013
Posted an answer on RCU
Aurora 9X - The following are all the relevant A9X Q&A on all forums to date.
. Hitec General Servo Q&A extract:
Q. What is the difference between an analog and digital servo?
A. The difference is in how the servo motor is controlled via the circuit board (amplifier).
The motor of an analog servo receives a signal from the amplifier 30 times a second or at 30Hz.
This signal allows the amplifier to update the motor position.
Digital servos use a high frequency amplifier that updates the servo motor position 300 times a second or at 300Hz.
By updating the motor position more often, the digital servo can deliver full torque from the beginning of movement
and increases the holding power of the servo.
The quick refresh also allows the digital servo to have a tighter deadband.
Recommended Reading:
Hitec Digital Servo Q&A
================================================== ============

. Aurora 9X Further Features Post 4477 02Feb13 above.
"1. Performance:
a. 4096 resolution (4 times better/ 2X better than Futaba and Spektrum)
b. Dual processors (one for programming, one for RF)
c. Re Engineered signal processing so the Optima RX performance is twice as fast (19ms frame vs. 41ms)
d. New Maxima RX's (Non Telemetry) have a 7ms frame which outputs all channels simultaneously
for the absolute minimum latency. (FBL version in the works)"
. Aurora 9X Latency, Resolution & SLT
The latency is essentially cut in half when using the Optima Rx's and when using the new Maxima (non telemetry)
RX it is 66% faster than that! 4096 Resolution as well! Dual processors are used so that the RF has one dedicated just to it.
SLT will open it up to a larger BnF market. - Mike.31Jan13.

. A9X Retail Configuration & Features
"The system will be sold in a few different configurations.
The Maxima Rx is for those that are looking for the absolute lowest latency.
The original A9 will not be compatible with the Maxima.
Another feature is auto switch select which sets the switch by moving it when in the menu.
The toggle switch does also work as on only when held when selected for the timer.
Flight counter: Counts the flights on a particular model by either power on, switch, or timer.
SLT: Compatible with any TX-R model made by G.P. or any company that utilizes the protocol
which we expect to expand significantly.
Hitec will not offer a stand alone SLT RX but future BnF "Hitec" branded models
(Many more planned) will utilize it thus keeping the cost down.
I'll post some screen shots of some of the new things shortly. - Mike 01Feb13"

. A9 & A9X - Latency
FYI: The reason the A9 latency has high was because of the decoding on the TX side from the gimbal to output the signal.
The single processor also had to operate the programming and the signal where now they each have a dedicated processor.
The 9X eliminates this cutting the frame rate with the Optima RX in half (Down to 19ms.)
When using the Non telemetry Maxima RX, the Frame rate is even lower at 7ms (Actually tested at 5.5ms!) - Mike 02Feb13.

. Conditions can be assigned to any stick/position. - Mike 07Feb13
screenshot 1 post 4484 above
screenshot 2p post 4484 above

. Non - telemetry Hitec 2.4Ghz Receiver Reboot Voltage
"Maxima has the same reboot voltage as the Minima, 2.6v.- Mike 13Feb13. "

. Maxima 6 & 9 have same frame rate
"they are the same @ 7ms frame rate.- Mike 15Feb13".

. Frame Rate
It will be 4096 resolution with the Optima RX's as well. The latency is cut in half (21ms frame)when using the Optima RX's with the 9X
and then cuts it 66% more when using the Maxima (7ms) making it of of the fastest radios available.
More channels: We know... However, it wasn't an option at this time with the current platform but we are working on this for the future.
- Mike. 15Feb13.

. Latency - Perception
"Perception is a strong factor for some people. "Most" people will not notice the difference in latency and resolution but that doesn't
mean they don't think they need it. However, high level pilots will benefit as it brings the performance level up to, or better, than the top
radios on the market! Unfortunately we are currently limited to 9 channels but making the new radio faster with more resolution was
possible so we did it... what would you all be saying if we didn't? Damned it you do... damned if you don't I guess! " - Mike 19Feb13.

Alan T.
================================================== ===

14 Mar 2013
Hitec Aurora 9X
Please refer existing FG thread:
. Hitec Aurora 9X - extracts:. <snip>
. "The current system is capped at nine but we are working to expand this in the future".
:That is correct. Hitec is also working on expanding our model line so expect to see many more models available in the future that utilize this protocol.-Mike."
. It will be 4096 resolution with the Optima RX's as well. The latency is cut in half (21ms frame)when using the Optima RX's with the 9X and then cuts it 66% more when using the Maxima (7ms) making it of of the fastest radios available. More channels: We know... However, it wasn't an option at this time with the current platform but we are working on this for the future. - Mike.
. "Perception is a strong factor for some people. "Most" people will not notice the difference in latency and resolution but that doesn't mean they don't think they need it. However, high level pilots will benefit as it brings the performance level up to, or better, than the top radios on the market! Unfortunately we are currently limited to 9 channels but making the new radio faster with more resolution was possible so we did it... what would you all be saying if we didn't? Damned it you do... damned if you don't I guess! - Mike.

Aurora 9 Model Name/Set file Transfer <> Aurora 9X
Not possible. Well explained in J.Taylor's post 16Apr2013: Aurora 9 Model name Transfer to Aurora 9X
"As a software engineer, I would say "not unless they do a bunch of work now to make that possible."
There isn't enough information in the current stores profiles to fill in all of the slots on a [R]9X[/] configuration
(esp. with regard to the new mixing ability).
If they're good, they'll make it so that you can import an old one as a template, and then fill in
the blanks before its active on the new radio (even smarter if they interpolate your existing
mixes to the new 9 point format).
However, this will likely only be done as a 1 way process
(so don't drop your new 9X thinking you'll use your A9 as a backup).
That's all hypothetical assuming they're nice.
In reality, it's a bunch of work (way more testing than actual code, really) with little benefit on a
system that is so quick and easy to program from scratch.
On the testing, can you imagine hearing a user saying "I imported an A9 model and a glitch
crashed my plane/heli!".
There are changes you can make to a current A9 where you have to recheck all functionality of the profile.
This doesn't bode well for them putting forth the effort to write a converter that they'll guarantee
won't crash your plane/heli. " - J.Taylor.
1st June 2013: Aurora 9 Model Name/Set file Transfer <> Aurora 9X - answers queries arising from above post.
12 Feb 2014: Model transfer Tip quote:
"One trick I use is to set up model #1 as a base with all the switches assigned for D/R etc. and then use the copy feature to each new model which will give you a head start, then it only takes a couple minutes or so for each model depending on how complex it is. - Mike. "
================================================== ========

Latency:
. The latency is essentially cut in half when using the Optima Rx's and when using the new Maxima (non telemetry) RX it is 66% faster than that! 4096 Resolution as well! Dual processors are used so that the RF has one dedicated just to it.
SLT will open it up to a larger BnF market. - Mike. "
. "FYI: The reason the A9 latency has high was because of the decoding on the TX side from the gimbal to output the signal. The single processor also had to operate the programming and the signal where now they each have a dedicated processor.The 9X elimiates this cutting the frame rate with the Optima RX in half (Down to 19ms.) When using the Non telemetry Maxima RX, the Frame rate is even lower at 7ms (Actually tested at 5.5ms!) - Mike."

Pricing : Already on Tower Hobbies and others):
. Price and availability will be announced in the near future.
The system will be sold in a few different configurations. The Maxima Rx is for those that are looking for the absolute lowest latency. The original A9 will not be compatible with the Maxima.
Another feature is auto switch select which sets the switch by moving it when in the menu.
The toggle switch does also work as on only when held when selected for the timer.
Flight counter: Counts the flights on a particular model by either power on, switch, or timer.
SLT: Compatible with any TX-R model made by G.P. or any company that utilizes the protocol which we expect to expand significantly. Hitec will not offer a stand alone SLT RX but future BnF "Hitec" branded models (Many more planned) will utilize it thus keeping the cost down.
I'll post some screen shots of some of the new things shortly. - Mike."

Q&A:
. "The following are all the relevant A9X Q&A on all forums to date:" <SNIP> - Alan T.

Copies of the attachments added to the Aurora FAQ page, some time ago, are attached hereto.
(links to pdf of the 2013 catalogue are top of the FAQ page)

. Resolution & Latency
“The Aurora 9X is not available until June/July which will offer the higher resolution (4096) and lower latency (21ms Optima/Minima and 7ms Maxima RX's)
The other features include 7 point curves in all mixes including P-mixes, up to 8 conditions that can be stick activated or by any switch you assign. - Mike.”

21 Sept 2013:

24 Oct 2013:
. Aurora 9X - Lipo Battery
"I'm using the Thunder Power G8 2700 RX pack which fits perfectly and has the proper connector.
Good luck with whatever products you choose guys.... the most important think is to have fun! - Mike."

15 Nov 2013
. Integral Timer is different to A9 and model transfer.
"The integral timer is tied to the model memory and cannot be reset unless the model is reset. So this is not overall time for the radio but for each model memory just as the flight counter.
My suggestion for setting up new models since they do not copy over (the systems are too different) is to set all the things you normally have the same like dual rates and switches and then copy to the new model so you at least have a head start on some of it. - Mike"

24 Feb 2014 added:
. Aurora 9X - Pictorial detailed photos of the A9X.
. Auroira 9X - Pictorial detailed photos of the Binding sequence for Maxima, Optima & SLT.
. Aurora 9X - Pictorial detailed photo sequence setup SS-Advance and small EP model.

30 May 2014:
Aurora 9X - Idle down Bug
That is a bug with the idle down that should be resolved with the first firmware update due shortly. - Mike. (Mike Mayberry Hitec RCD USA)

20 June 2014
Update
"Hey guys... I too am frustrated that the update to the HPP-22 software and firmware update is not yet available so I can understand some of the venting. You should be able to back up your models but you will never be able to transfer from the 9 to the 9X, they are simply too different! I don't get the part where you cannot program your models because of this?!?! The quickest way to set up additional models is to copy from a model that has already been set up so many of the main things are done and then fine tune from there. The blank screen at start up occasionally is an anomaly that happens from time to time and has been with the Aurora since day one... It should not happen very often and when it does, just cycle power. If it happens more frequently then send the radio in and we will check it out. The 9X is an awesome radio! The performance is not matched by any system on the market as far as resolution and low latency... In fact, it put team Hitec pilot Spencer Norquist on the podium at the prestigious Extreme Flight Championships (XFC) flying against the best pilots in the country! Could we have done better with updates? Yes, but they are coming. Unfortunately they are taking much longer than they should and I apologize about that! Sometimes priorities have to be evaluated and I know they are working hard to get the new Flash series radios to market and perhaps that is what has slowed down the updates? Ideally we would have an unlimited staff and recourses to do these things but we do not. This is not an excuse just reality. So many of you are loyal Hitec customers and have been for years and we (I, personally) really appreciate it... We do our best to take care of our customers and will in many cases repair items sent in under warranty at no charge when other companies will charge you every chance they get. Pricing is fair and beats most other major manufactures but is not Chinese cheap! You might look at the triple packs of RX's to get the cost down on each RX. I'm happy to talk to any of you in person to help in any way I can and will be honest and give you the insight that I have on anything so feel free to call me... x 302!
Mike. "

23 June 2014
. Update re Higher Channel Systems
"It's coming guys be shown at toy fair this coming February.
I've seen some renderings and some nice stuff in it. Be at the 18mz level.
The current Hitec system won't support fully over 9 channels so that's why there hasn't been anything yet.
The new big radio that's coming will have the multiplex system which btw is very very good,
and the Hitec system this is what I know now. - Bubba Gump"
25 June 2014
. Update 28Jun14 clarification
" It will have both the Hitec system and Multiplex so be able to use all the current Hitec system
Rxs and telemetry sensors and also all the Multiplex stuff too - Bubba Gump"

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Last edited by A.T.; Jun 29, 2014 at 05:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 07, 2013, 06:01 AM
I Ain't Got It !
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T.
[]
Yes. All your base are us.

(My response to the very last picture from the OP in the above post. )
Aug 08, 2013, 11:24 AM
dumbthumb
Stylus link not working
Aug 08, 2013, 03:20 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleXtino
Stylus link not working
Stylus link working, RCU have been up and down lately with a full revamp of their service and page layout.
Also note that users must sign in each day, no more auto sign in whenever page is visited

A stylus is now included with 9X, slides into holder in rear, refer
copy of picture attached post #1, first in 2nd line.

Alan T.
Aug 22, 2013, 09:02 PM
any chance of a trade in program for existing A9 owners?
Aug 23, 2013, 09:41 AM
When in doubt, gas it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by osidak
any chance of a trade in program for existing A9 owners?

+1, Id be interested in that.
Aug 23, 2013, 01:38 PM
most exalted one
It's called sell your Aurora 9 on here for $200 and buy the A9X.
Aug 23, 2013, 08:41 PM
Lou
Lou
Sent my A9 today to Hitec for repair. Pretty sure this one is going to cost me a bit. Bricked and LCD has been acting up. Any idea on the turn around for repairs?

Tower is saying mid September for the 9x release and my LHS is waiting to place an order for me for the 9x and the tray.
Aug 23, 2013, 11:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake
Sent my A9 today to Hitec for repair. Pretty sure this one is going to cost me a bit. Bricked and LCD has been acting up. Any idea on the turn around for repairs?
Tower is saying mid September for the 9x release and my LHS is waiting to place an order for me for the 9x and the tray.
Not my area, please phone/email Monday for turn around, USA usually within a week and
ask for 9X USA release date then, paper work is a hassle:
Hitec Warranty & Service - homepage.
Note: Hitec USA only services North/South America and Canada.
"Hitec USA customer service department is available Monday through Friday*
from 7am- 4:30 pm Pacific time. Reach us at 858.748.8440 or
service@hitecrcd.com any time you have a question"
• If you are from a country that is outside North and South America, please contact the
Hitec distributor in your country for service.

Alan T.
Sep 21, 2013, 06:40 PM
Thread OP

Hitec Aurora 9X - Manual

As added post #1, a searchable pdf of the 9X manual is now available online for those who wish to have some current reading material:

Alan T.
Sep 23, 2013, 02:16 PM
plank n shankbone pilot
Question:

Currenly We fly with two Aurora 9s. When someone wishes to try Justin's helis or airplanes, I just copy the model over to 2nd radio and start the instant buddy box session.

If I update one radio to 9x, will I lose the ability to instantly do buddy boxing from 9x to 9?

These are not simple 4ch models.
Sep 23, 2013, 03:20 PM
Thread OP

Hitec Aurora 9 Model Name/Set file Transfer to & from Aurora 9X

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_z06
Question:
Currently We fly with two Aurora 9s. When someone wishes to try Justin's helis or airplanes, I just copy the model over to 2nd radio and start the instant buddy box session.
If I update one radio to 9x, will I lose the ability to instantly do buddy boxing from 9x to 9?
These are not simple 4ch models.
Unfortunately the model memory is not interchangeable between the A9 & A9X which is better explained by another person as quoted #1:

"Aurora 9 Model Name/Set file Transfer <> Aurora 9X
Not possible. Well explained in J.Taylor's post 16Apr2013: Aurora 9 Model name Transfer to Aurora 9X
"As a software engineer, I would say "not unless they do a bunch of work now to make that possible."
There isn't enough information in the current stores profiles to fill in all of the slots on a [R]9X[/] configuration
(esp. with regard to the new mixing ability).
If they're good, they'll make it so that you can import an old one as a template, and then fill in
the blanks before its active on the new radio (even smarter if they interpolate your existing
mixes to the new 9 point format).
However, this will likely only be done as a 1 way process
(so don't drop your new 9X thinking you'll use your A9 as a backup).
That's all hypothetical assuming they're nice.
In reality, it's a bunch of work (way more testing than actual code, really) with little benefit on a
system that is so quick and easy to program from scratch.
On the testing, can you imagine hearing a user saying "I imported an A9 model and a glitch
crashed my plane/heli!".
There are changes you can make to a current A9 where you have to recheck all functionality of the profile.
This doesn't bode well for them putting forth the effort to write a converter that they'll guarantee
won't crash your plane/heli. " - J.Taylor.

Alan T.
Sep 23, 2013, 03:28 PM
plank n shankbone pilot
So........

How does one do buddy boxing with 9x to 9?
Sep 23, 2013, 04:17 PM
Lou
Lou
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T.
Unfortunately the model memory is not interchangeable between the A9 & A9X which is better explained by another person as quoted #1:

Alan T.

Alan,

You may want to point out that on page 32 of the above linked 9x manual it is stated that DataTran is used to transfer model set up data between two AURORA'S, .....

This should probably be corrected to say two Aurora 9x transmitters. I noticed several places where Hitec should specify "two Aurora 9x transmitters", as A9 to A9x is not possible. As currently written it is unclear that one cannot go from A9 to A9x when transfering model templates.
Last edited by Lou; Sep 23, 2013 at 04:25 PM.
Sep 23, 2013, 04:22 PM
Lou
Lou
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_z06
So........

How does one do buddy boxing with 9x to 9?

Page 65 of the above linked manual states that the Aurora 9x is compatible with all other Hitec transmitter products using the 3.2mm stereo plug or the DINN connector plug.

You would need Hitec part #58321 for the trainer cord.

Quick Reply