Feb 23, 2014, 09:30 AM
The problem with drift is with the gyros. Go into your Assistant program. Make sure you have not run your quad for a while (10 mins say) Click on tools to get into the IMU setup. You will notice that one of the axis is showing a high number ie over 2. Wait and watch the axis return to about zero after about 3 mins or so. This is the problem. The Naza needs to warm up? Seems to be a firmware problem. DJI take note!
to remove ads between posts
Feb 23, 2014, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orsum_one
The problem with drift is with the gyros. Go into your Assistant program. Make sure you have not run your quad for a while (10 mins say) Click on tools to get into the IMU setup. You will notice that one of the axis is showing a high number ie over 2. Wait and watch the axis return to about zero after about 3 mins or so. This is the problem. The Naza needs to warm up? Seems to be a firmware problem. DJI take note!
Very interesting find! I will try this later. I too had the impression that something needs to warm up in there because the drift stops after about two minutes when I fly in the morning hours in cooler temps. When I fly in the afternoon I have very little drift, or none at all.
Mar 12, 2014, 09:31 PM
Here's another NAZA M Lite owner. I get a drift toward the 10:00 - 11:00 direction that disappears after a few minutes of flight.

This is using just the NAZA M Lite, no GPS module, and flying in Atti mode on an F450 clone frame.
Mar 14, 2014, 04:01 PM
Jumping in to report I have drift to the right with Naza lite with GPS. I came here looking for a solution. There are a few interesting suggestions in this thread I am going to investigate this evening. If anything is conclusive I will report back. I have one Naza lite w/GPS that works without issue.
1 Naza = Good
1 Naza = Drift
Mar 24, 2014, 12:05 PM
Suspended Account
Having similar issues here except I have a very pronounced forward drift. So much so that pulling back on the right stick feels like I'm fighting a very strong tail wind. If I start to yaw right, the quad begins to pick up speed and if I continue the right yaw, it seems to catapult around approaching tremendous speed.

I have tried:

* keeping the fc along the center of the quad but its still behind the COG which I understand should not matter.

* many many IMU and compass calibrations.

* GPS / compass puck is elevated and facing straight forward; according to DJI rep, declination is handled by the software not by turning the puck.

* experimented a lot with the gains going back to 70, 70, 100, 100; 100, 100.

* had initially throttle calibrated all T-Motor 12A Simonk ESCs at the same time but went back and calibrated individually to make sure each was calibrating correctly (altogether, it was tough to distinguish the calibration tone from each individual ESC)

I will try waiting a bit longer before arming the motors. My sense is that the Naza Lite's green confirmation blinks don't really indicate much. I notice that with the Naza v2, you get much shorter warmup period before the confirmation LEDs whereas with the Naza Lite, it's almost always about 15-16 cycles of blinks before the green confirmation regardless of whether your last flight was 1 second or 1 week ago.

I'm also concerned that because this is such a small quad (250mm), when I lay it on the grass, the Naza Lite is not perfectly level as it warms up. I will try next time with a flat surface and leveler to see if that is the cause.

The quad itself is flyable and I just have to constantly compensate but having a Phantom with the Naza 2, I know this thing can be MUCH more stable.
Mar 24, 2014, 04:54 PM
Yep, after reading a bit about other peoples' experiences I tried hooking up the NAZA to assistant "cold" where it hasn't been connected to power for a while. The X and Y gains are around 4 to 5 like this, and it takes a few minutes for them to settle down. I am sure this is what's causing the drift, because it does the same thing in flight as well, it wants to drift for a few minutes, then after being powered up for 5 minutes or so, it hovers nice and stable.
Mar 24, 2014, 05:30 PM
Suspended Account
So if that's the case, I'd hate to burn precious flight time just warming up the Naza Lite. I wonder if I were to use a spare battery to do the powering up then swapping quickly to the flight battery after 5 minutes or so just before arming and taking off.
Mar 24, 2014, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.ronin
So if that's the case, I'd hate to burn precious flight time just warming up the Naza Lite. I wonder if I were to use a spare battery to do the powering up then swapping quickly to the flight battery after 5 minutes or so just before arming and taking off.
The thing to do is measure the current draw of the system sitting idle with the motors off. I imagine it is negligible unless you have a lot of lights, gimbal, etc. hooked up in addition to the controller. I mean, if it is only drawing 50 milliamps or so it's not going to make a significant impact in the 5 minutes it takes to warm up.

Still, this is a problem DJI should fix with firmware or something. We should be able to just plug it in and take off and have a stable hover. At the very least they should make the LED report when the gyros have settled down and it is safe to take off.
Mar 24, 2014, 06:39 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotoRon
At the very least they should make the LED report when the gyros have settled down and it is safe to take off.
That's it right there. Otherwise, what the heck is the point of the flashing green LEDs?

How do we do this guys? Mass emails? Online petition? Occupy DJI? (hey that rhymes! ) Seriously, we need to get DJI on this.
Mar 24, 2014, 09:56 PM
You only live once - fly CRAZY
Same issue with forward drift on 2 Naza M Lite setups (one new). Been keeping an eye on this thread for a few months now hoping that a solution would be posted. All for pushing Naza for a fix for this!
Mar 24, 2014, 10:28 PM
Suspended Account
I emailed their support and US support telling them about this thread. May just fall on deaf ears but you never know.
Mar 24, 2014, 11:33 PM
Ok, I just built a second F450 with a different NAZA M Lite, and it does not have the drift problem. IMU calibration page shows low (0.0 to 0.3) gyro values from a cold start.

So the problem isn't universal to all of the NAZAs.

Hopefully your email will get this thread noticed and let them know that their current and future customers are watching.
Mar 25, 2014, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the Fish
There are a few Naza Lites that require slightly longer warm up times. It is within production tolerances. The firmware will not be upgraded. This is an entry level system. If you want more features then you need to upgrade to a V1 with the V2 firmware or a V2. You do have options.
Mar 25, 2014, 02:22 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed
There are a few Naza Lites that require slightly longer warm up times. It is within production tolerances. The firmware will not be upgraded. This is an entry level system. If you want more features then you need to upgrade to a V1 with the V2 firmware or a V2. You do have options.
WOW. Ok is it just me or does that "official" answer, frankly, suck?

I translate that as: " $160 is chump change to us so you get chump change from us. Go spend $300 for a real flight controller and we'll talk."
Mar 25, 2014, 02:25 PM
Suspended Account
Damn can't get over that. Now I see why people hate DJI so much.

Quick Reply