Aug 04, 2013, 10:39 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Guy hit by 700-size heli at IRCHA 2013

and these are the same folks that are always warning us and telling us how dangerous these birds are yet they hold these events and do little to protect pilots and people standing by.
5000 people out there and no one told or asked that camera guy to get off the flight line.
thank god no one got hurt.

Guy Gets Hit By RC Helicopter IRCHA 2013 (0 min 48 sec)
Last edited by wc_wickedclown; Aug 19, 2013 at 02:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 04, 2013, 10:44 AM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
Uh... Camera guys don't hold transmitters.
Aug 04, 2013, 10:53 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
The cause of the crash was the tail rotor strike.
One of the risks of this sort of "throw the heli at the ground and recover it before it crashes" style of flying that 3D flying has devolved into.

This is the specialty of that guy from the middle east. Watch a few of his videos. He actually "crashes" in many of them, seems to like to see a bit of dirt flying.

Glad the guy was not hurt, could have ended very badly.
Aug 04, 2013, 10:54 AM
Wow,it looked like the blade was up against his neck,very lucky indeed!That's why I don't/ won't attend those events,to much craziness !
Aug 04, 2013, 11:01 AM
Looks like he might have been the pilot?
What;s the deal with flying without the canopy on? Smashed it earlier perhaps?

Also looks like he hit throttle hold before it hit him.
Aug 04, 2013, 11:07 AM
Odds where good that he could have died from that attack by the heli.That kind of news we don't want to here about!
Aug 04, 2013, 01:36 PM
I am Steve.
NO WAAY !!! maahn, I'd thank God on and on and on after this kind of thing happening and walking away unhurt !!!! UNBELIEVABLE !!!

sorry for caps, but that is unbelievable !!!
Aug 04, 2013, 01:47 PM
He's lucky the helicopter mainshaft was as close (and probably with bogged down Headspeed) to him as it was... if it had of been further away where the blade tips would have gotten him, We'd probably all be saying RIP
Aug 04, 2013, 01:47 PM
Suspended Account
LMAO at the guy who runs to aid the heli...
Aug 04, 2013, 02:47 PM
The heli was obviously out of control once the tail rotor struck the ground. IMO, the pilot should have grounded the ship instead risking injury to that unfortunate camera person. Hope the guy flying the chopper paid his AMA dues/insurance.
Aug 04, 2013, 02:50 PM
Pretty sure it was the pilot that got hit, he is holding a tx not a camera.
The cone he is standing behind is probably a flight station.

The guy runs in to shut down the motor, preventing a possible "headless chicken dance"
Aug 04, 2013, 02:58 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie
The guy runs in to shut down the motor, preventing a possible "headless chicken dance"
In the gas powered R/C car world we use remote kill switches.
Aug 04, 2013, 02:59 PM
The pilot could have been doing the headless chicken dance,should have checked on the victim and stomped on the heli!Maybe if the rules for these events came with a warning to the pilots that if they crash for any reason they shouldn't be invited to come back( even the pros)might encourage a more safety oriented event.
Aug 04, 2013, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPhisher
In the gas powered R/C car world we use remote kill switches.
Remotes don't work if the battery becomes disconnected.

I think the car guys I know use spring loaded throttles to prevent runaway motors in the event of radio failure. The spring is strong enough to turn the servo once it loses power.
Saves on broken ankles.

Best thing to do with a "chciken dancing" heli is give it some room till either the motor quits or the main gear strips.
Aug 04, 2013, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauaiguy
The pilot could have been doing the headless chicken dance,should have checked on the victim and stomped on the heli!Maybe if the rules for these events came with a warning to the pilots that if they crash for any reason they shouldn't be invited to come back( even the pros)might encourage a more safety oriented event.
Yeah, same with Nascar

Quick Reply