Aug 04, 2013, 04:52 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Thread OP
Build Log

Peter Rake's IPS Moska

It couldn't get much simpler - which is exactly what I wanted when I asked Pete if he had any VERY simple designs that needed building. Why? I finally have all my (our) belongings in a new house and felt I needed a change from moving, renovating, redecorating and generally being domesticated My temporary workshop was slowly filled with stuff that hadn't anywhere to go just yet and the little remaining space didn't suit my 3 or 4 bigger building jobs so here we are - an IPS tich of a model - a Moska.
Although larger versions have been described here before, I couldn't find any finished threads on this IPS version - if I'm wrong please set me straight!

The .pdf files were tile-printed onto A4 sheets and stuck together - hopefully accurately. The parts sections were cut away and stuck to balsa, bass and ply with a water soluble glue stick and cut out as required. A light mist of water softens the glue and the paper can be peeled off after cutting.

I wanted to use stuff I know I have - the main problem being "..where is it.."
- maybe by the end of this little build, I'll have found most of my stuff again. A brushless ips-mount motor from HK and a matching ESC, some home made spoked wheels (I can only find one....) two 5 gram servos, scraps of bass, balsa, ply etc will get me started.

It wont be an exciting thread but will help me find my feet in a strange (and hostile ) environment

Pat
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Aug 04, 2013 at 05:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 04, 2013, 05:06 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Thread OP

...a start on the fuselage..

The little Moska's fuselage is fairly straight-forward. The two sides are framed up from 3/32 sq bass for the longerons with balsa uprights and cross pieces and some balsa sheet parts at the front and rear.
I built the two sides on top of each other complete with the vertical wing supports from 3/32 bass. After sanding smooth, the sides were joined with the tail skid plate at the back and a central former just aft of the cockpit. The fuselage was then pinned to the plan on it's side (it's not curved) and the various cross pieces added making sure everything stays square.

Some sheeting at the tail end plus the front formers and U/C mounting plates gets it to the point shown in the pictures - about four hours work - the first plane building I've done in months

With a lot of domestic stuff to do, this probably will take some time to build but I'll enjoy every drop of CA

Pat
Aug 04, 2013, 11:40 AM
Welcome back into the fold Pat. You're certainly off to a good start. Not the model I'd have expected you to pick but, as you say, very simple.

Pete
Aug 04, 2013, 03:36 PM
Nice work Pat,
It's good to see your back in the workshop
-Reuben
Aug 04, 2013, 05:00 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Thread OP
Thanks Ben, Pete, I hummed and harred about the choices you offered and the other choices had some interesting features - I steered clear of models that had been started by others in the last year or so; those with two wings; those with tapered wings or round fuselages and those not designed for an IPS mount That limited the field a bit and so - a Moska. I haven't even researched the colour schemes yet but suspect it was very simple.
A very windy day today so maybe some more time in the shambles I call my workshop....
Pat
Aug 05, 2013, 01:31 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Thread OP

A little more progress.....

I spent part of the morning organising a concrete pour sometime soon for my new workshop and garden shed Two shed 'kits' are waiting to be delivered so that will keep me busy!

The Moska. The rounded formers were added to the top of the fuselage, carefully sanded to all be in alignment and a piece of light 1mm balsa sheet CAed in place. The plan calls for 1/32 but is hard to find here so I sanded some 1mm down a bit thinner to save weight. The upper bass longerons were slightly chamfered to get a neat finish at the edges.

Next, the internal woodwork was done. Servo rails, rigging bipod fixing blocks and the motor mounting plate and 'stick'. I should have marked the motor plate angles on the inside fuselage BEFORE gluing it all together so instead, a small template was made to get the plate at the required 2 deg down angle. Then a major brain-fade - I marked the IPS mounting stick with the fuselage pinned over the plan - upside down! After gluing the stick firmly in place it was of course giving me 2 deg of LEFT thrust.......... Could make for interesting take-offs! Now corrected.

A bit of 1/16 sheet was fitted over the area in front of the cockpit waiting to be blended with the cowl to made next.

Pat
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Aug 05, 2013 at 02:00 AM.
Aug 08, 2013, 02:50 AM
Always such a nice, neat & tidy build from you Pat, looking real nice.
Aug 08, 2013, 03:26 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Thread OP
Thanks John - I haven't seen you around here for a while (but my eyesight isn't so good...)
In between refurbishing kitchen cabinets, I made the cowl as per plan from lightply, 1/64 ply and balsa. I'll work out how to fix and finish it later.
After reading the various builds on the Moska, I'll fit the UC as Petes suggestion (about 7-8 years ago) and cover the forward underside sheeted area first and then bind the wirework in place. 20 swg (<1mm) is rather spindly but will help keep the weight down!
Now for lightweight wheels.....

Pat
Aug 09, 2013, 10:18 AM
Power Upward
Pat,

Good to see you back at work... Still plenty to do around the house I'll bet.

George
Aug 09, 2013, 11:47 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Thread OP

It can stand up on its own!

After covering the front and rear underside with cream Litespan (what else), the main UC frame was added. I used short U-shaped lengths of copper wire over the wire and into the fuselage and folded it flat inside. A TINY dob of epoxy holds it in place.
The tail skid is of 3/32 bass again epoxied lightly into the TS slot. The rudder shaft is a piece of 1mm CF rod supported by aluminium tube in the fuselage and a lower bearing in the skid. When it was all lined up and square with the fuselage, the various fixed bits received a tiny dab of epoxy.

No excuses offered for having the 1/6 Rake DVII sharing the bench - I am hoping to fly it tomorrow (wind permitting) and have been giving it a pre-flight inspection. Make an interesting size comparison......

Pat
Aug 12, 2013, 05:17 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Thread OP
Not much done today - home reno took priority!
The tail outlines are all of 1/32 (.8mm) X 3/32 balsa strip soaked in soapy water (the soap aids absorption), carefully bent around 3mm Depron forms and allowed to dry. Small scraps of balsa were pinned up against the wood which was allowed to dry naturally.
The strips were then removed, glued together with Titebond, and repined to dry.
No problem!

Pat
Aug 13, 2013, 02:32 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Thread OP
Another microscopic advance......
An elevator spar of hard 3/32 balsa plus ribs of soft balsa were added to the tail parts and everything rough sanded to an even 3/32 thickness.

The rudders had a 1mm hole drilled for the CF shaft - I used a drill press to get it accurate but with care, a pin vise would have done. The elevator was mounted with two 1/8 X 3/8" tabs of hinge material. Nothing glued yet of course.....

My apologies for the fairly poor lighting - my workshop hasn't been optimised for the best picture taking!

Now for some wings and wheels - which first? who knows........

Pat
Aug 13, 2013, 02:10 PM
Power Upward
Pat,

You keep adding little bits of time and you'll have another plane ready for a maiden.

George
Aug 14, 2013, 05:34 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Thread OP
Exactly George - I'm sure a lot of models don't get finished (or even started) because the time/effort thing looks too daunting. An hour or even a few minutes here and there and presto! - a model
The ribs (not many of them) were cut using the printed cut-file and sanded as a stack to get them all the same and then glued to the 1/4 X 3/32 hard balsa spars.

The TE was cut from some medium 3/32 sheet, notched, and glued in place followed by the LE from some 1/8 strip.

The laminated wing tips were formed from three strips of 1/16 X 1/8 soft balsa strip, wetted and pinned to shape on the plan. They'll get glued in place tomorrow when dry.

That's all for now

Pat
Aug 15, 2013, 02:14 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Thread OP

Moska sprouts wings......

After gluing the pre-curved tip laminations in place, small blocks of soft balsa were added at the root leading edges and the whole lot rough sanded. A final 'proper' fine sanding will be done prior to covering.

The wings mount on four vertical supports on the fuselage using 18swg wires in aluminium tubes glued into the root ribs.

Still more work to be done on each wing with balsa hard points for the rigging and bipod. The rigging would be essential in this model with its very lightweight construction.....

AUW as shown with motor and servos is now 4 oz. Next I guess I'd better make (or find) some wheels.

Pat

Quick Reply