ATG TT-X4-12 Reptile Quadcopter - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by alek3d, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 04, 2013, 03:24 AM
Mini-Review

ATG TT-X4-12 Reptile Quadcopter

ATG TT-X4-12 Reptile 4 Axis Glass Fiber Quadcopter Folding Frame Kit W/Tall
Landing Skid

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/atg-tt-x4...skid-gear.html

I bought this frame from goodluckbuy.com. Although some people say they hed problems with GLB, I did not. I order from them regularly and I must say that in the last 6 months their service got even better. Just be ready sometimes it takes a couple of days to get the order shipped, but they always delivered my goods.

Anyway, the frame arrived pretty quickly and is of a very good quality. There is a plenty of HW, screws are much better quality than in one of my first ATG frame I had about a year ago.

There is one problem though, I got one arm holder for 16 mm version, not for my 12 mm version. For now I made a workaround and since I needed some other small items for my projects, I ordered spare arm holder. I will replace it once it arrives.

This is the part I had to order
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/atg-frame...-2-5x10x4.html

Hopefully this time I will get the right one...
---------------------------------------
Other than that the frame is perfect. It was easy to assemble, I just had to look at the product pictures on the web, because although there is one A4 with some instructions, the pictures are small and text is in Chinese, so no go for me

My setup:
Frame size:
- front to rear motor-to-motor distance 36 cm
- front to rear motor-to-motor diagonal distance 55 cm
Motors: rctimer HP2212 880 kV
Props: rctimer carbon fiber 10x4.5
Controller: DJI Naza Lite with GPS
Battery: 3S 4000 mAh lipo
ESCs: Turnigy Multistar 20A Opto, resflashed with SimonK FW

Flight time is around 10 minutes, with BL gimbal and GoPro2 (AUW 1640 g) I get 8 safe minutes.

I have unboxing video, which I did not process yet, so stay tuned, I will post it soon. For now some build photos.
Last edited by alek3d; Aug 04, 2013 at 05:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 30, 2013, 07:55 AM
I got exactly the same with my delivery - one 16mm arm holder. Replacement arrived reasonably quickly. Just ordered it as a spare part. Apart from that OK. Still building mine with ardupilot but your pics were useful. How's it fly? Was a bit concerned the arms were too flimsy for good quality aerial video (vibration). Those motors OK? Have 1000kv on mine.

Which gimbal did you go for? How's the vids look?
Aug 30, 2013, 08:36 AM
The BL gimbal is a kind of "home brewed". I converted cheap servo gimbal into BL gimbal, using rctimer 2212 gimbal motors and Martinez board.

Here is a test I made, but that is on older quad frame.
Simple BL Gimbal Test (2 min 56 sec)

I then converted my older quad into ATG TT-X4-12 Reptie, because I really liked the frame.

Here is the video I made with new frame. If I fly gently I have minimal jello or gimbal shaking
Domaša - Kemping Tíšava (Slovakia) (2 min 48 sec)

and here, I applied video stablization just to see if it works better. Even though in the video it is not obviously visible, it was very windy up there and the BL gimbal was shaking from fighting the wind here and there.
Skalnaté pleso, Vysoké Tatry (High Tatras, Slovakia) - aerial view (2 min 26 sec)

880 kV motors work just fine but I think I cannot equip it it with any more load. 4000 mAh battery seem to be optimal, with 5000 mAh I don't get very much longer flight time. In future I might get some carbon fiber gimbal to make it a bit lighter.

12 mm arms are fine too, I know there is 16 mm version but I wanted lighter one, I might replace glass fiber arms for carbon fiber but I am not sure yet. If you want to do some video taking you have to balance props and motors as much as possible anyway to get rid of vibrations, also use some vibrations dampening mount for camera because it is very very hard to get rid of vibs completely even if you try hard to balance everything.
Last edited by alek3d; Aug 30, 2013 at 08:46 AM.
Aug 31, 2013, 08:52 AM
Here is unboxing video

The Unboxing Of ATG TT-X4-12 Reptile Glass Fiber Quadcopter (3 min 6 sec)
Nov 03, 2013, 12:29 PM
I just unboxed mine and there were no arm holders at all
Ugh..
Nov 04, 2013, 06:50 AM
Yikes, that stinks...
Nov 19, 2013, 09:30 AM
.... flyin' dirty ....
Curious as to how its going with this frame? Still liking it?
Nov 19, 2013, 01:48 PM
The frame is very fine and practical for transportation. The only issues are caused by occasionally incomplete package. But that is not frame's fault, but supplier's.
Nov 29, 2013, 01:04 AM
.... flyin' dirty ....
Was curious if you could get me the lengths of the front and rear arms. Also the diameter of the two tubes under the quad that the landing gear attach to. Been trying to find the information and haven't been able to yet. Want to order some extra stuff when I get the frame and need those numbers.

Thanks in advance !
Last edited by DirtyThirty; Nov 29, 2013 at 01:37 AM.
Nov 29, 2013, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyThirty
Was curious if you could get me the lengths of the front and rear arms. Also the diameter of the two tubes under the quad that the landing gear attach to. Been trying to find the information and haven't been able to yet. Want to order some extra stuff when I get the frame and need those numbers.

Thanks in advance !
Front arms 16 cm long 12 mm diameter tubes
Rear arms 20 cm long 12 mm diameter tubes
Load pipe tubes are 26.5 cm long 12 mm diameter

These worked great as spare arms, you just need to shorten them to appropriate lengths
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/glass-fib...lticoptor.html
Last edited by alek3d; Nov 29, 2013 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Fixed diameter to correct values
Dec 01, 2013, 12:11 AM
9W2DLR
duh I bought the 16mm version but didnt come with any instruction how to assemble, did yours come with one?
Dec 01, 2013, 10:51 AM
.... flyin' dirty ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by alek3d
Front arms 16 cm long 12 mm diameter tubes
Rear arms 20 cm long 12 mm diameter tubes
Load pipe tubes are 26.5 cm long 12 mm diameter

These worked great as spare arms, you just need to shorten them to appropriate lengths
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/glass-fib...lticoptor.html
Thanks !! That info will be invaluable when I go to purchase my 16mm version and order all the necessary extra things.

I plan on purchasing the 16mm version and extending the arms utilizing CF so I can use larger props. Im also going the route of purchasing the new motor mounts from Tarot to use on it. I will be creating a blog about it. Looking to get 20-25 minutes flight time with FPV gear.

On a side note, I was wondering how yours was flying, it looks like you put the shorter arms on the front. It looks like in the pictures on GLB that the longer ones are meant to go up front.
Dec 01, 2013, 02:23 PM
Shorter arms definitely go to front. That is the "essence" of the "reptile" type of frames, so that front props don't go into camera pictures.

No, mine did not have build instructions, only one A4 page with some kind of part list with little pictures and some Chinese signs that I could not read. I googled images and was eyeballing them and trying to see what goes where. It was not that hard though....
Dec 01, 2013, 07:20 PM
9W2DLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by alek3d
Shorter arms definitely go to front. That is the "essence" of the "reptile" type of frames, so that front props don't go into camera pictures.

No, mine did not have build instructions, only one A4 page with some kind of part list with little pictures and some Chinese signs that I could not read. I googled images and was eyeballing them and trying to see what goes where. It was not that hard though....
short arm in front? so how does it fly? because in GLB the picture suggesting the long arm in front back are short in front, plus the longer the arm the less chance props in the view, with short in front more chance for prop in video , so I think short arm should be at the back

I manage to get it assemble yesterday but motor mount hardware they give me was wrong, screw are short seem the sent me a 12mm set while i have the 16mm set

ps: I *think* that your frame is backward should't it the other way around the square part is backside and V shape is front? or you just go with your own liking?
Last edited by skellator; Dec 01, 2013 at 07:32 PM.
Dec 02, 2013, 12:05 AM
.... flyin' dirty ....
Longer arms are definately shown to be in the front (where the gimbal is)

The thing that gets me is why they put the yellow covering on the rear arms instead of on the front. Not that it matters to me as I will be removing mine (yellow covering).

Quick Reply