This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 03, 2013, 03:55 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

sudden fog!

today went flying at dawn. did 6 flights until the sun raised. there was fog at ground level, up to 15 ft (5 meters), and above was clear and no wind.
all went well. until...on my 7th flight i climbed and cut motor and started to glide. then moskitos (yes, with k) decided to swarm on me and i got distracted for about 10 seconds. but when i tried to see my plane it was gone. fog had raised at the moment the sun raised too, and there was all around. so fast as i never have seen.
looked around but it was fog all over. put the plane in a spin, in hope that it would show, but at no avail. it should be nearby, but could not find it.
and 5 minutes later, the sky was clear again. not a single cloud or fog around. nice.
o well, i had plans to build a 2nd version of that plane anyway.
the only thing that occurs to me to avoid this is never take your eyes from your plane.
even if moskitos are diving on you en mass.
but it's hard to avoid them and keep controlling your plane...
by the way, as i was checking the readings on my telemetry (quanum) and noticed they were getting close to the limit, i was thinking that this would be the last flight.
i think the gremlins were listening to my thoughts...
i said somewhere in my blog that if you say that it is going to be your last flight, it will be. i should remember that.
april 5, 2014-an update: 2 months later, a tractor pulled in the field and the guy handled to me the plane. he said that just found it. it was all well weatherized-if you know what i mean-but not too bad. from the damage, i realize that it fell nose down and the firewall came apart (the balsa nose parts had to be replaced). the pack, rx, servos and esc were history, and i had to replace the stab and the covering of the fuse and the bottom of the wing to let the wood vent, but the motor/spinner/prop were fine. all in all, was not too much work. now it is finished, and 3 days ago with the 1st window in the weather since, i was able to see it flying again. i learned that it fell about 1 km to the south, and i lost it at the west side, so it drifted way longer-and into another direction-from where i expected it to be. but all is well that ends well.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Apr 05, 2014 at 08:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply