Aug 03, 2013, 06:18 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Build Log

BD5 Pusher

My version of the BD5 Pusher Prop

Plans and Build Guide .. if anyone wants to have a go at building

I haven't built this one yet but its next on my build list ... I will post pics of the build

Lockey

Edit:

Specs:
Wing span: 960mm (37.8 inches)
Length 820mm (32.3inches)
Material: 6mm Depron or MPF (approx one and a half full sheets) 1000 x 700 sheet
Servo’s: 3 x HXT900 9g (or similar)
Motor: D2826-6 2200kv Outrunner Motor (or similar)
ESC: TURNIGY Plush 40amp Speed Controller (or similar)
Prop: 6x4E propeller (or similar)
Estimated weight: 600 – 650 grams (21 – 23 oz) with 1800 – 2200 / 3s battery

Lockey

One or two mods made to plans for big BD5 … Latest mods made .. 16 Sept 13)

1. Front of fuselage made a little rounder .. (centre former and side panels changed slightly)

2. F6 former made a little smaller and cut out in centre former (found this to be wrong whilst building)

3. Size of ailerons changed (when using airfoil add-on, they would be too big and cause a gap at joint of the aileron and wing) so I have made them slightly smaller

Plans now available at: http://www.lockeysrcplans.com

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Dec 06, 2016 at 04:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 03, 2013, 12:45 PM
skumgummi dave
Lockey:

Thanks mate for the Plans and Guide...

Regards;

Dave-
Aug 03, 2013, 08:51 PM
Build guide looks well done.
But (playing devils advocate here) why is this any improvement / advance on Dave Blums' design / plan?
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=dave+blum+bd5
Aug 03, 2013, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
Build guide looks well done.
But (playing devils advocate here) why is this any improvement / advance on Dave Blums' design / plan?
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=dave+blum+bd5
Thanks for the link Bare, I had a look at the plans Ö what a beautiful design and drawing (not seen that one before)

But in case you hadnít noticed though, it is designed for balsa and mine is for Depron or MPF

I deliberated a lot whether or not to do it with a full flying tail, and I am not sure I have gone the right way by using a separate elevator BUT it is a lot easier to build it this way Ö I still have the drawings for the full flying tail if I decide to go that way

Lockey
Aug 04, 2013, 02:22 AM
I have added a NEW "sheet 1" with a flatter bottom to make the building a little easier ... all the rest is the same

Added to first post

Lockey
Aug 04, 2013, 02:33 AM
The plans look great Lockey! However, it looks like too much rolling and bending for me
I look forward to seeing your build of it come together though.

As for the Dave Blum plans, you've already seen my depron version of it. I simply increased the size of the plans by 126% to go from 1/16" balsa to 2mm depron. If you wanted larger you could do the same with 3mm depron without having to change any part of the plans.

Alex.
Aug 04, 2013, 02:37 AM
Quote:
The plans look great Lockey! However, it looks like too much rolling and bending for me
Alex, thats why I decided to modify the plans a little and do it with a flat bottom

Quote:
As for the Dave Blum plans, you've already seen my depron version of it. I simply increased the size of the plans by 126% to go from 1/16" balsa to 2mm depron. If you wanted larger you could do the same with 3mm depron without having to change any part of the plans

Thats a good idea Alex

Hey Alex, send me the link to your build of this again please

Lockey
Aug 04, 2013, 02:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
Alex, thats why I decided to modify the plans a little and do it with a flat bottom
Ah,I see the other post with the plans change now, it didn't show up on my phone before for some reason..

Quote:
Thats a good idea Alex

Hey Alex, send me the link to your build of this again please

Lockey
Lockey, I never made a thread for it because I didn't think there would be much interest. Plus I didn't want to make people wait ages to see it built.
I've still not finished it yet, but will get to it when I'm not so busy.
For now all I have is this picture I posted before:

Alex.
Aug 04, 2013, 03:07 AM
Thanks for the pic Alex, do you have any more ... VERY NICE

Here is a video of one I built recently designed by MARCEL VLIESIE, it flies so nice I wanted to make one a little more shapely ... but you have built one too eh .. when will it be ready to fly?

Lockey

BD5 Second Flight (3 min 49 sec)
Last edited by Lockey; Aug 04, 2013 at 03:43 AM.
Aug 04, 2013, 04:02 AM
I can take more photos, but they will show the same level of progress.

Balsa was used for a couple of areas instead on the 2mm depron, just to give it rigidity and strength.
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375606517.271704.jpg
Views: 633
Size: 83.9 KB
Description:

Full flying stab setup:
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375606605.905254.jpg
Views: 677
Size: 82.3 KB
Description:

If building a larger version from Dave's plans, I would use balsa or ply for the internal structure around the motor mount, and try to hide the motor inside. At the current size there was no way I could fit the motor within the fuse without having to use the drive shaft method as originally intended.
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375606884.870761.jpg
Views: 604
Size: 73.4 KB
Description:

Quote:
but you have built one too eh .. when will it be ready to fly?
Still awaiting repairs from the last maiden attempt, but looking a bit prettier with most the paint on it now.

Alex.

Ps. Sorry for taking up your thread with my posts and images
Aug 04, 2013, 06:57 AM
Gee mate, if you can build with so much intricacy, you can surely bend and roll a bit of 6 mm Depron, its easy compared with what you are doing there

Quote:
Ps. Sorry for taking up your thread with my posts and images
Post whatever and whenever you like Alex, its all very interesting stuff and I love to see how other guys build and finish their models.

Did you find out what the problem was with your failed maiden?

Lockey
Aug 04, 2013, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Gee mate, if you can build with so much intricacy, you can surely bend and roll a bit of 6 mm Depron, its easy compared with what you are doing there
I actually find it much easier doing what I am with 2mm depron rather than trying to roll and bend 6mm. 2mm you don't need any tape on to make the bends, and the sections are only small so easy to do. Any larger parts with 6mm depron I have trouble doing.

Quote:
Post whatever and whenever you like Alex, its all very interesting stuff and I love to see how other guys build and finish their models.

Did you find out what the problem was with your failed maiden?

Lockey
As I said in the thread for the other bd5 model, too much grass, too much wind. I also used the recommended throws but found it way too sensitive even with expo. I will use your throws for the remaiden.

Pic of the paint job so far for that model:
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375620267.214922.jpg
Views: 594
Size: 110.8 KB
Description:

Alex.
Aug 04, 2013, 08:29 AM
You sabotaged my plane.
Lockey,
looks good. I'd love to biuld one of these but the list is so long now. I still have the 6mmflyrc prototype they put out a few years ago. Not sure why it didn't catch on.

I built a very simple BD5 a few years back with a mid motor. Fun design.

Jim
Aug 04, 2013, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliworm
Lockey,
looks good. I'd love to biuld one of these but the list is so long now. I still have the 6mmflyrc prototype they put out a few years ago. Not sure why it didn't catch on.

I built a very simple BD5 a few years back with a mid motor. Fun design.

Jim
Thanks Jim ... now thats different, I have never seen a mid mounted motor and prop

Thanks for posting

Alex ... Have a look at: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=1923325&pp=30

Post #2 and #16 it shows me rolling Depron .. it is so easy to do and you don’t have to heat it or anything

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Aug 04, 2013 at 08:52 AM.
Aug 05, 2013, 06:54 AM
My box of MPF (Model Plane Foam) arrived today … WOW

I took out a piece to test its roll-ability and I am very impressed (see pics … thats a 5 cent piece) I just rolled it in my fingers without any tape

I will be keeping this for parts that I want to shape and using Depron for other parts, just a pity the sheets are so small … only 8 inches wide(200mm) x 3 ft 3 and a half (1 metre)

It is slightly thinner 5.6 mm against 6mm for Depron BUT who’s arguing … it will do for me.

I have printed the plans and will be starting the build this week .... WATCH THIS SPACE

Lockey