View Poll Results: Following our 3D thread- Whats your age?
Under 18 79 4.47%
19-25 91 5.15%
26-35 262 14.84%
36-45 378 21.40%
45-55 385 21.80%
54-65 374 21.18%
65+ 197 11.16%
Voters: 1766. You may not vote on this poll

This thread is privately moderated by kohersh, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 18, 2020, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1101
Hi
When doing a knife edge circuit of the club flying area , when the plane is further away , i cant tell if its pushing or pulling
ie , I cant tell if its pushing towards me or pushing away from. Easy to tell when Its on the close in part of the circuit

any good ideas here ?
cheers

I know the feeling I have the same issue, the only way for me is once I have flown the plane enough in closer and have gotten a feel for it I kinda guess on the input to keep it close to 90 degrees and wait until I can see where it actually is.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 18, 2020, 08:55 PM
'n boer maak 'n plan
As someone with only one eye I can tell you that it is significantly more difficult and yes you learn to anticipate rather than “see” movement. Practice and get familiar with your plane and heli...oh and don’t fly too many different planes as that will really mess you up...well at least for me..
Jan 18, 2020, 09:31 PM
Michael, Thanks for all your videos, very much appreciated. Can you give any advice on rifle rolls. For example, do you try to correct for every roll really quickly or is there some timing because the plane is rolling very fast, you just correct every other roll? Do you start with slower rolls and work up to the fastest? Need help- some tips. thx.
Jan 19, 2020, 01:42 PM
Custom User Title
Speaking of rifle rolls.. At which point does it cross from linked rolls to rifle rolls? Or is rifle rolls just the modern name for linked rolls?
Jan 20, 2020, 08:56 AM
PA Team Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300c_srt8
Michael, Thanks for all your videos, very much appreciated. Can you give any advice on rifle rolls. For example, do you try to correct for every roll really quickly or is there some timing because the plane is rolling very fast, you just correct every other roll? Do you start with slower rolls and work up to the fastest? Need help- some tips. thx.
The thing is everything is right. Depends on the plane. I have a couple planes where I just watch closely and let the ailerons work. IF the plane is really trimmed and no differential, It goes a while before starting to fall. At 20 ft, I can often just let the ailerons go for a field pass. I watch though. If I am coming from a rolling loop for instance, I am doing a rolling harrier type of left right with rudder and it just gets lighter.

Safest way to do this is simple. Remember, not a rolling harrier. No stalled plane. This is just simple guidance of the plane. Every other roll or only rudder one side happens a lot when speeding up. Start flying in a straight line and just roll and watch. Then add slight left right rudder. Sometimes the inputs on rudder start you going in a direction ailerons alone would have stayed straight.
Jan 20, 2020, 09:03 AM
PA Team Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by yufasa
As someone with only one eye I can tell you that it is significantly more difficult and yes you learn to anticipate rather than “see” movement. Practice and get familiar with your plane and heli...oh and don’t fly too many different planes as that will really mess you up...well at least for me..
YEs... WOW... Doing anything where depth perception is so critical and one eye... Incredible! Very impressive!!!

You know anticipation plays a bigger role than we may realize. Great post. When I fly my smaller jets sometimes, it is crazy how many times my position is assumed or turns and adjustments happen by feel.

I would love to have others thoughts on this. Feeling the plane through long rolls and long single roll circles and things.
Jan 20, 2020, 09:07 AM
PA Team Pilot
Also, another thought from his post. I would love to have some opinions. I was talking to a guy at the field last time out as a coincidence about getting used to one plane. When I go fly, I have 6 or 8 with me and I fly them all. I go from my wargo Yak or Mx2, to a few PA planes, then pattern plane , to giant and when at the right field fly turbines. I never get a chance to get used to anything.

I know if I fly my giant scales 3 flights in a row, I am way better with it on another level the next flight, or the next day I fly the same one.

I have multiple sponsors, videos to shoot nearly every time out these days, HK is scale foamier and things I am flying for video... Am I killing my own flying? Or getting better from not getting too used to one plane?
Jan 20, 2020, 06:14 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwargo
Also, another thought from his post. I would love to have some opinions. I was talking to a guy at the field last time out as a coincidence about getting used to one plane. When I go fly, I have 6 or 8 with me and I fly them all. I go from my wargo Yak or Mx2, to a few PA planes, then pattern plane , to giant and when at the right field fly turbines. I never get a chance to get used to anything.

I know if I fly my giant scales 3 flights in a row, I am way better with it on another level the next flight, or the next day I fly the same one.

I have multiple sponsors, videos to shoot nearly every time out these days, HK is scale foamier and things I am flying for video... Am I killing my own flying? Or getting better from not getting too used to one plane?
If you are wanting to improve, and also if you want to do any kind of videoed routine or display, definitely stick to one plane. The only advantages of flying several planes is if you suffer from always needing stimuli (as i do). To overcome this i sometimes fly my best practise plane on different cells (3 vs 4) with different props which gives the plane a different feel but is still kinda the same plane.

Note Jase only flies his Slick weeks before any competitions, need say no more.

Here is a great video of a very talented Pilot, but if you watch it closely, especially at the end when he is doing 'hesitant pointers', they are really scruffy, the plane also keeps losing elevation (not level) and looks bad. I am sure (because i watch this Guy a lot), that the Pilot is simply used to flying his other plane.

Also some great Knife Edging at the beginning which he is suburb at:-
EXTREME FREESTYLE SHOW WITH GREAT SMOKE SYSTEM | Hangar 9 Extra 300X (6 min 42 sec)
Jan 20, 2020, 08:06 PM
Who do u think u r ,telling MW what and how to fly. Why do u keep posting other peoples vids then criticize them...Where are your vids....Lets see your skills...
Last edited by dalecheek1; Jan 20, 2020 at 08:12 PM.
Jan 20, 2020, 09:36 PM
PA Team Pilot
Any input and other flying styles are always welcome... Although very cool of you Dalecheek1.... I am really hoping, because he has very few posts, he is not our old friend who has been kicked off RC groups 10 times... He was a trouble maker for sure.

Anything helpful is helpful, and any feuds I am hoping we can keep to a minimum.
Jan 20, 2020, 10:13 PM
No feuds.There are some that go to different threads and want to give tips and advice to all the Top Guns.Yet there is negativity and criticizing in those post. That is so wrong. BTW no way u can fly one type of plane even if u want to as you represent about a thousand different companies ...hahaha There are 3 other gentlemen in RCG that over the yrs have flown many different types of planes and have a lot of knowledge about all of them.If anyone has a question about any kind of plane that they have flown they give true info about that plane. Like i do with you i also trust there knowledge ..Those 3 have about 80 planes each LOL
Last edited by dalecheek1; Jan 20, 2020 at 10:42 PM.
Jan 21, 2020, 03:47 AM
Suspended Account
Yeah i remember the hostility some Guys get when they give good informed advise about LEARNING 3D here, seems a very twisted club

ALWAYS from Guy's at the lower end of the ability spectrum (can only turn left for example)

I wasn't been detrimental of the Pilot, in fact the contrary, this Guy is immensely skilled and 95% of the flight is amazing, just the end where none of the hesitant pointers are well due to not being in-tune with the plane. Maybe you have some kind of problem every time somebody uploads a very talented Pilot? Yes i have noticed this over the years, maybe makes you feel bad?

READ my posts,,, NOBODY on this site is as HELPFUL as myself. Oh and then read Dales posts and watch Dales videos where

for some reason there are 23 dislikes on every video, now a Guy like that maybe should be here giving advise on learning 3D here rather than me
Last edited by Matt Brewer; Jan 21, 2020 at 04:06 AM.
Jan 21, 2020, 03:48 AM
Jan 21, 2020, 03:50 AM
Suspended Account
Oh and Mr Correctness/Paranoia , i wasn't telling Mr Wargo how to fly, i was answering his question, referring to improver's.

Maybe you should read more of these type of posts than fighting everyone, then you wouldn't get so many dislikes on your videos?

37 dislikes:-

(apologies for posting an unhelpful video)

E FLITE ULTiMATE-2 Close Hovering and Harrying in yard (2 min 24 sec)
Last edited by Matt Brewer; Jan 21, 2020 at 03:56 AM.
Jan 21, 2020, 09:09 AM
PA Team Pilot
Sorry about my association with that other guy. You said you have been here for along time and know all about all these guys and posts. Since you just joined in November, and only have 70 posts, which you did so many last couple days, I deduced it is possible you were a banned trouble maker. Make sense?

I don't know why those guys find confrontation entertaining, but they are sad cases and a bit pathetic. We just get them ejected again. Just a temporary nuisance...

Quick Reply